KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Feel Like it Bombed -- Is this normal? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
The worst was the people at the one bar out here who snuck in their own soda into a bar and paid for nothing whatsoever and took up six spots in a rotation. The host didn't want to turn "customers" away, so I was just a jerk to them until they felt unwelcome.
We had a couple that did this and is one of the few times I actually turned down their slips. No outside food or beverages signs are posted at the door. Health code reasons for one.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:08 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Lonman wrote:
We had a couple that did this and is one of the few times I actually turned down their slips. No outside food or beverages signs are posted at the door. Health code reasons for one.

I wish the host was more like you.

They were the only time I haven't clapped for a singer. "NICE JOB FOR A CHEAP DRINK SMUGGLER WHO IS ALSO A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING" and other things were what I shouted.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
mrmarog wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Sometimes the person drinking soda all night might actually save the bar money in legal costs because they are not the ones who are going to be held responsible for the death of a person from an accident caused by drunk driving.
Danny, That is ridiculous. Even though it is possible it is still pretty far fetched. I have been going to karaoke several nights a week for more than 25 years and I have never heard of someone being killed by an over drinking karaoke singer. I do live in an older, probably more responsible community, but most of the folks I see young or old don't over consume at karaoke.

I would bet a lot has to do with the fact that there are no drink specials on those evenings, because karaoke is the draw, not the cheap booze. Unfortunately some are water drinkers too!
Doesn't matter if it's a karaoke bar or not it's the law here and it's not an old outdated law.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Alan B wrote:
OK, I'm done with this. I've said all I'm going to say...

If only.

But then...

Alan B wrote:
So, maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous posts so let me say it again...

In my arrogant, self-righteous opinion:
A host should NEVER include themselves in the rotation. The show is about the people, NOT about you.

So here's my insulting judgment of anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion:
Hosts that include themselves in the rotation are nothing more than karaoke singers looking for attention and using hosting as a means to accomplish that.

I've re-read the entire thread and I was looking for someone who actually agreed with Alan B and stated that they never sang at their shows. Maybe I missed it...

So far, the poll is 90% singers at their shows and 10% sometimes singers (not in the rotation).

The karaoke experience is about EVERYONE and that includes the host.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Hiya! DJTIMR, welcome to the best karaoke forum in the world!
Regarding your subject title, never use the words normal and
Bombed in the same sentence! They don't work well together,
When I. Entered this forum I had to duck back out and put on a
Flak jacket! See, I didn't use the bomb word and as you well know,
Normal and karaoke don't work too well together either, oh well.
It is what it is. by using these words together in your subject title
You seem to have been the author of a sh-t storm! Yes! and because
boys will be boys and dont play well together they become prone to
engaging in in the art of fisticuffs and coloring the air with profane
barrages! In my opinion which l dare not foist upon my fellow man,
l love for the host to start the show and remain in the rotation,
After all it is their show, and gives me a perspective on where I am
in the rotation. Also I am usually the, designated driver and will only
drink one beer if any, and make the switch to pop. whatever the cost,
l match with the tip. my better half more than makes up for my inability
to imbibe spirited liquors. Although I no longer believe her to be a
mermaid as she professed to be when we first met! And in conclusion,
Elementary Penguin, Cut me a slice of pie please, and make it rhubarb... :mrgreen:
I understand it calms the nerves...

RAMBLER, IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE ONE, BE ONE...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Went to a karaoke bar tonight (Friday) with my wife and another couple who are also karaoke singers. I asked them as well as 4 other singers at the bar how they felt about the host including themselves in the rotation. All of them said that they didn't like it. They all agree that a host has no business including themselves and taking time away from them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
Went to a karaoke bar tonight (Friday) with my wife and another couple who are also karaoke singers. I asked them as well as 4 other singers at the bar how they felt about the host including themselves in the rotation. All of them said that they didn't like it. They all agree that a host has no business including themselves and taking time away from them.

When you asked the question, was it phrased "should a host ever be part of the rotation? Because if that was the question, you basically got back the answer you were looking for. Now if you has asked if they minded and host using the first song to set make sure that everything is working properly, think about it, a lot can happen in a couple of seconds to your system to throw your show off for the first song and you are going to wait an hour between setup and the first song without you being the one that you test it out on at the very start of the show. My friend, whose show I go to almost every Friday night, probably won't get to anymore if things go right on Tuesday, always checks his system out before he just gives the mic, yeah he basically goes check into the mic, but I consider it almost unprofessional. I prefer to use a whole song to make sure both mics are functioning properly, nothing ruins and show if you get a duet for the first customer request and one of the mics are not working. I usually wait for a break to switch mics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
[Passes pie to Warrenkel16]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Alan B wrote:

You're tenacious and I admire that. Why don't you honor your word and not say anything else about it?

I hosted a show tonight and I sang the very first song, but I didn't make the song choice. A gentleman who had been at the show a couple of weeks ago requested that I do a song of his choice. I fulfilled his request. I call the song "Prison Wizard". I think that's 1 vote for the host including themselves.

I have a regular that has an amazing voice and in my opinion, she is among the best of those that perform the same songs. Her "Black Velvet" is in the top three best performances I have heard in my life (at my shows). She asked me to sing "The Time Of My Life (I've Had) with her and I obliged. I set the lighting scene for the stage and the dance floor and we had almost everyone on their feet during that song. I think that's 2 votes for the host being included.

I had a person from out of town (we call them visitors or guests) named Marylu. She gave me the spelling when she signed up for "Rockin' In The Free World". When it was her turn, she came to the stage and told me that I had to help her "as much as possible". I'm sure many, if not all of us have encountered this type of singer. Turns out she just needed a little prompting on the timing and a little boost on the chorus and she found her groove. It was fun. I didn't sing much, just enough to get her rolling. I think that's 3 votes that are pro-host.

A couple of hours into the show, another person who is at the Friday night shows quite often mentioned a social network post where I quoted a song and asked if I had sung that song this evening. I wasn't in the rotation any longer but I put myself at the end of the list to sing her request, "Wake Me Up When September Ends". This would represent vote number 4 in favor of the host performing.

I'm going to assume that the specific compliments received and the encouragement as well as the applause would fall on the side of not having an issue with who was singing.

9:30pm to 1:45am 35 singers total (about average) The last guy to put in a request got to sing the last song and no one was turned away when requesting a song. The guy who signed up to sing the second song of the night (at 9:34) was still there and sang about 3 songs from the end. I made new friends and met new singers that will be returning. The mood was positive and energetic from the start. Many, many people sang, and danced and played with the tambourines and shaker eggs that I provide. I sang at least 3 times in 4.5 hours. I was one of about 4 people that were there for the entire 4.5 hours. The other 31 who requested their song(s) all got to sing and at least a dozen of them sang more than one. A few sang 3 or 4 times as well. All in all, it was a typical show for a Friday night.

I didn't ask anyone about their opinion regarding the host being included in the show. I also didn't ask anyone if they were counting songs and turns. I did ask quite a few people if they were enjoying themselves and the singers and it was a unanimous yes. I think I'll continue to promote everyone's enjoyment instead of stirring up negativity and resentment for hosts among the singers/attendees.

I have a question for you: Do you think that broaching the subject of a host's participation with singers at another host's show is professional conduct?

Frankly, I view that kind of behavior as inappropriate and unethical. I wonder what the host of that show would think about it. But hey, if it supports your feelings of superiority and supplies your motive to pass judgment on others, then have at it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
It also bothers me that Smooth's show is the only show of active people here I've been to (I used to go to Jaseoke's live band karaoke since it was just down the road from me).

I need to travel more for reasons that aren't work.

What do you mean? Active people??

Thank you for the kind words. I won't hold it against you, that you don't like my Friday bar. LOL

Last edited by Smoothedge69 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I have NEVER had an issue with a host singing in their own show. Been a Karaoke patron since 1994. I never met a karaoke host that DIDN'T sing, unless they were sick, or just weren't a singer. I have had nights where I wasn't feeling it, and didn't sing because my voice was a mess. Other nights are just too busy, so I only sing the first song. STILL, other nights are slow, so I sing more. I have had only TWO unsuccessful shows, and BOTH were do to the bars I was playing at. One place used to call the police on their patrons, when they would leave drunk. The other was a beer/wine joint that had a bartender, that quite literally, threw out everyone she didn't like. That didn't leave many people, and when I tried making a return to that place, none of my singers would go back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) This goes back to something I have said before, about having a good working relationship with the staff is as important if not more so than having a good working relationship with the management. A good bartender that makes patrons feel welcome is an important asset to any show a host is trying to put on, at a venue. It can make the difference between success or failure. Calling the police on patrons that have had too much is rather strange, since the bar was pouring the drinks. In California the bar that last served the D.U.I. driver is responsible that is why they usually cut off a customer before it becomes an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I have NEVER had an issue with a host singing in their own show. Been a Karaoke patron since 1994. I never met a karaoke host that DIDN'T sing, unless they were sick, or just weren't a singer. I have had nights where I wasn't feeling it, and didn't sing because my voice was a mess. Other nights are just too busy, so I only sing the first song. STILL, other nights are slow, so I sing more. I have had only TWO unsuccessful shows, and BOTH were do to the bars I was playing at. One place used to call the police on their patrons, when they would leave drunk. The other was a beer/wine joint that had a bartender, that quite literally, threw out everyone she didn't like. That didn't leave many people, and when I tried making a return to that place, none of my singers would go back.

BS Smooth, you know they never came back because you were an unprofessional douche and sang at your own show trying to make the show all about you.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) This goes back to something I have said before, about having a good working relationship with the staff is as important if not more so than having a good working relationship with the management. A good bartender that makes patrons feel welcome is an important asset to any show a host is trying to put on, at a venue. It can make the difference between success or failure. Calling the police on patrons that have had too much is rather strange, since the bar was pouring the drinks. In California the bar that last served the D.U.I. driver is responsible that is why they usually cut off a customer before it becomes an issue.

CT has a similar law that was originally targeted at parents allowing minors to drink but didn't put any protection for bars being held accountable for any deaths that resulted from driving and drinking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
I've re-read the entire thread and I was looking for someone who actually agreed with Alan B and stated that they never sang at their shows. Maybe I missed it...

See the post by bazinga on page 4 of this thread. Yes, you did miss it.

Last edited by Alan B on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:

No it's not! It's for the people who came out to sing! OMG, are you people so delusional??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:

Wow! Totally unbelievable. Someone actually admitting that the karaoke experience is also about the host. Good job! Now I've heard everything. The karaoke experience is about the host.

This just confirms what I've said all along: those who agree with this way of thinking don't care about their singers, only themselves. They're using "hosting" as a way to get the attention they so desperately desire at the expense of their singers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

Wow! Totally unbelievable. Someone actually admitting that the karaoke experience is also about the host. Good job! Now I've heard everything. The karaoke experience is about the host.

This just confirms what I've said all along: those who agree with this way of thinking don't care about their singers, only themselves. They're using "hosting" as a way to get the attention they so desperately desire at the expense of their singers.

If that was an accurate statement explain the reason I pull myself out of the rotation after the rotation reached the number of requests for karaoke to pull myself out of the rotation. Plus the fact that I refuse to put DJ music ahead of my singers as well. My singers have and always will have top priority at my shows. So Alan, keep on drinking the Kool-aid that you have been drinking and believing your misconception of host's real reasons for singing and their lack of professionalism because they are completely founded on misconceptions and not hard facts because you can't tell what the true motivation is for anyone other than yourself, the rest is just conjecture and a faulty one at that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

If that was an accurate statement explain the reason I pull myself out of the rotation after the rotation reached the number of requests for karaoke to pull myself out of the rotation. Plus the fact that I refuse to put DJ music ahead of my singers as well. My singers have and always will have top priority at my shows. So Alan, keep on drinking the Kool-aid that you have been drinking and believing your misconception of host's real reasons for singing and their lack of professionalism because they are completely founded on misconceptions and not hard facts because you can't tell what the true motivation is for anyone other than yourself, the rest is just conjecture and a faulty one at that.

I think you need to direct your comments to mtnkaraoke who believes that the karaoke experience isn't just about the singers, it's about the host. Don't you find that pathetic? At least you don't feel that it's all about you. And I'm glad that you put your customers first. I wish more people would do that although I don't agree with remaining in the rotation, regardless of the amount of singers, after singing the first song.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:11 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
Don't you find that pathetic?

what i find pathetic is that you are here to berate successful karaoke hosts because they do things differently than you.
not one person has said you are wrong for doing things your way
you have told everybody they are wrong for not doing it your way.
you are the one being pathetic.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next