KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Feel Like it Bombed -- Is this normal? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 1006
Images: 1
Been Liked: 179 times
Alan B wrote:
No it's not! It's for the people who came out to sing! OMG, are you people so delusional??


AYFKM?!!

What's pathetic is your reading comprehension and the need to validate your self-importance.

I said the karaoke experience is about EVERYONE and that includes the host.

Now it would seem that you are resorting to an outright lie to counter my opinion.

It's amusing to literally watch you twist the words to fit your absurd conclusion...

Alan B wrote:
...Someone actually admitting that the karaoke experience is also about the host. Good job! Now I've heard everything. The karaoke experience is about the host.


It's almost cartoonish, this level of deliberate stupidity. Use the word "also" about the host and then omit the word "also" and change the meaning of the statement.

I got a good laugh when I read you confirming your opinion by fabrication. You'd do the 3 stooges proud with your powerful reasoning and deduction.

The first demonstration of the logical disconnect when assuming your opinions are fact:
Alan B wrote:
Not really. More like a fact, not an opinion.

Fact: A KJ is getting paid to host a show NOT be part of it.

Fact: A KJ's job is to accommodate his singers, NOT himself.


It's like you got out your little "fact stamp" and magically validated yourself.

The next tidbit of opinionated spew:
Alan B wrote:
The singing the first song to make sure everything is OK is bullcrap.


Have another sip of Kool-Aid (good one Danny) while you ignore (but manage to disparage) the other hosts who give legitimate reasons for the practice. I'm sure it's simply that you are incapable of understanding and can only react with condescension and insults when you are unable to grasp what people are telling you.

Then... the comparison of the host vs. the servers and the restaurant staff. How feeble. I was trained as a bartender myself over 30 years ago and worked off and on for over 20 years, until I became a professional host, starting with the bar I was working at (we had a crappy kj, but that's another story). I've known some excellent servers over the years, neither they nor I compare their job function to the bands, Dj's, or other performers who produce entertainment events at their establishments. The occupations simply aren't comparable.

Alan B wrote:
...find a new line of work since obviously you have no idea of what karaoke is really about.


since obviously you think karaoke is about song counting and resentment and guarding against being "robbed".

Then come the scenarios... extremes examples of "what ifs" and "then whats"... that really don't do anything other than illustrate the wild variety of experiences and the multitude of conceivable ideas about how to deal with your particular situation.

I can see the value in being exposed to others' methods, policies and attitudes, but the judgmental statements, the insults and the condescension expressed by you ... those are truly pathetic and a glaring indicator of your level of conceit and your utter lack of respect. Your posts have exposed you as a hypocrite and the fact that you confessed to instigating a negative and critical conversation with guests at another host's show reveal that you lack honor as well.

I will admit here that I was wrong regarding Bazinga... so I went back and looked again. Here's the result:

Disagree:

DannyG
dsm2000
Lonman
Mightywiz
Paradigm
Lone Ranger
andrew 3000
Topher M
NoShame
Smoothedge
Elementary Penguin
GeminiMale
Crazyface
Cueball
Warrenkel16
johnreynolds
mrmarog
mtnkaraoke
c staley (partial)

Agree:
Bazinga*

To reiterate the point made by Paradigm... no one has said you are wrong for not singing at your show.

Step down from your high horse. You just might find that success and professionalism aren't as narrowly defined as you so desperately want them to be.


*Bazinga stated that he feels exactly like Alan [about singing]. His statement did not support Alan's proclamation that hosts that sing are unprofessional. In fact, he dismissed the idea with the statement: "If they want to sing, it's their show!"

_________________
Never the same show twice!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
mtnkaraoke: that was a very well written rebuttal. Nicely done. Now, I'd like to address a couple of points you bring up.

You listed 19 KJ's (if I counted correctly) who allegedly disagree with me. And that's fine. I'm not out to win a popularity contest. I'm out to do what I feel is best for my singers and that includes not cutting down on their singing time by taking up a spot in the rotation.

I am happy to stand apart from everybody else and make my own path instead of playing follow the leader. I am taking a stand for what I believe to be in the best interest for my customers. My only concern is to provide my customers with the best karaoke experience around. I think that I'm doing that. While many of the karaoke bars in my area get around 5 or 6 singers, I get between 25 and 35 at my shows.

And when I'm not working, I'm checking out other karaoke bars and believe me, I have nothing to worry about. As I'm out and about I have asked singers at different bars how they feel about the host including themselves in the rotation.

While some had no problem with it as long as there was only a few singers, the majority was against it for any sizable rotation (7 or more singers). If you think that singers don't care whether you sing or not, think again.

One of the reasons I decided to become a karaoke host was to set myself apart from the rest. To offer a truly unique karaoke experience, making it fun and entertaining for my customers, treating everyone fairly and making it their night. It IS their night, not yours.

So, since just about every host disagrees with me, I have accomplished my goal. To set myself apart from the rest. I must be doing something right because I get more calls from bar owners wanting to hire me than I can handle.

You guys can do whatever you like at your shows. And you can try to justify it any way you want but I'll say it again, karaoke is about the singers, not the host. Remember, it's their night, not yours.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:22 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 91 times
Alan, while I believe in limited singing by the host, I didn't get the inference that you are saying that mtnkaraoke was referring to. I agree that it's the host's show and part of the job of the host is setting the mood, like getting the song selection out of ballad hell, something that I admit singing wise I am not good at because I mostly sing ballads. I do have a couple of spirited songs that I do but you can only sing Don't Stop Believin' so many times. And there are hosts that cringe when you even mention the song. I happen to like it myself.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 2922
Images: 1
Location: Florida
Been Liked: 1185 times
Alan, So if the mood of the show is boring and slow you would not hop in and try to improve it? I do jump in, and I always sing upbeat dance songs between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 minutes long, never longer. It almost always invites others to sing more upbeat tunes as well.

I will also make an announcement that I will buy a drink for the next 3 singers that change their song from slow to fast.

Alan, if you don't do these things you are a terrible host :P


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:34 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
mrmarog wrote:

Alan, if you don't do these things you are a terrible host :P

Well then, I guess I'm a terrible host even though more people come to my show then anywhere else.

Look, I don't have a problem getting my singers to sing an upbeat song. If some people are bring down the energy of the show by singing ballads and the like, I have singers that all I have to do is tell them to bring it up and they'll sing anything I throw at them and have people back on the dance floor. I don't need to do this myself.

Remember, just because 19 people disagree with my way of doing things, doesn't mean that it's the wrong way. 95 percent of KJ's also use illegal hard drives to run their shows too, but that doesn't make it right either, does it?

So, here's what I got out of your thread...

This is you talking to yourself:

"Wow, the mood is starting to slow down. But that's great!!!! It gives me an excuse to sing again!!!! I am so happy!" :D

Now back to reality. Usually at my shows, whether someone is singing a fast song or a slow song, people are on the dance floor. But forget about me... I'm very happy for the success you've had running your shows. Seriously, I may not agree with your way of doing things but I'm glad that it's working for you.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 2922
Images: 1
Location: Florida
Been Liked: 1185 times
Alan B wrote:
Remember, just because 19 people disagree with my way of doing things, doesn't mean that it's the wrong way. 95 percent of KJ's also use illegal hard drives to run their shows too, but that doesn't make it right either, does it?

So, here's what I got out of your thread...

This is you talking to yourself:

"Wow, the mood is starting to slow down. But that's great!!!! It gives me an excuse to sing again!!!! I am so happy!" :D And I just can't wait to spend money on free drinks

Now back to reality. Usually at my shows, whether someone is singing a fast song or a slow song, people are on the dance floor. But forget about me... I'm very happy for the success you've had running your shows. Seriously, I may not agree with your way of doing things but I'm glad that it's working for you.

Thank you Alan.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:07 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
What most of you don't realize is that you are doing a disservice to your customers by including yourself into the rotation. Why make them wait any longer to sing than they already have to?

Look at it like this...

A rotation consisting of 20 singers, with an average time of 3:30 minutes per song means that you'll sing approximately once every hour. If I was included in that rotation of 20 singers, and sang 5 times during a five hour show, I would have cut the show by approximately 18 minutes. Meaning I just took away 18 minutes of singing time from 5 singers. Yup, 5 singers are not going to sing because of my selfish (@$%&#!).

Is this really putting your customers first? I don't think so.

They came out to sing. And I want them to sing as much as possible. Not take singing time away from them because of my selfish need for attention. Remember, it's their night... not yours!

One more thing --

I just love all the reasons you all have given why you must include yourself in the rotation. Some are priceless. But they're just an excuse to sing. There is not one valid reason why a host should be singing, unless asked to do a duet. Singing in the rotation is NOT putting your customers first.

The next time you have a rotation of 20, 25, or 30 singers ask them if they're OK with you singing in each round. I have, and the consensus is they don't like it. I know that a lot of you pull yourself out after so many people but some of you don't.

Anyway, like I said, my goal is to set myself apart from everyone else and put my customers first. It's sad that so many of you can't or won't do that.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:58 am 
Offline
Major Poster
Major Poster

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 pm
Posts: 69
Images: 0
Location: Mobile al.
Been Liked: 11 times
Gemmelmen, hic. Ah do declare this Hoss
has been beat to death, Due to the wheels
falling off one side of the wagon, which in
Turn caused it to run in circles and trip in
the resulting rut! Whereupon it received a
ferocious beating by the Wagon master!
On a side note the hoss was promptly shipped,
To the glue factory and when the resulting
Product returns we will all be on the mend.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 3222
Images: 13
Been Liked: 953 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
No it's not! It's for the people who came out to sing! OMG, are you people so delusional??

I will admit here that I was wrong regarding Bazinga... so I went back and looked again. Here's the result:

Disagree:

DannyG
dsm2000
Lonman
Mightywiz
Paradigm
Lone Ranger
andrew 3000
Topher M
NoShame
Smoothedge
Elementary Penguin
GeminiMale
Crazyface
Cueball
Warrenkel16
johnreynolds
mrmarog
mtnkaraoke
c staley (partial)
Added: Brian A

Agree:
Bazinga*

_________________
To be fortunate enough to derive an income from a source as fulfilling as karaoke music has got to be as close to heaven as we can get here on earth!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 1006
Images: 1
Been Liked: 179 times
Alan B wrote:
mtnkaraoke: that was a very well written rebuttal. Nicely done.


That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I appreciate the tone of this particular response of yours and would like to continue the discussion as follows.

Alan B wrote:
Now, I'd like to address a couple of points you bring up.

You listed 19 KJ's (if I counted correctly) who allegedly disagree with me.


Re-read their posts. Their disagreement is not an allegation. It is literal fact borne out by their statements.

Alan B wrote:
...And that's fine. I'm not out to win a popularity contest. I'm out to do what I feel is best for my singers and that includes not cutting down on their singing time by taking up a spot in the rotation.


Who said anything about a popularity contest? You've made it very clear that you will do what you feel is best. It is my belief that no one has a problem with that. It is when you start passing judgment and insult others because they do it differently that the issue becomes antagonistic. I hope you can understand that because I don't know how to explain it any better.

Alan B wrote:
I am happy to stand apart from everybody else and make my own path instead of playing follow the leader. I am taking a stand for what I believe to be in the best interest for my customers.


If that's how you see yourself and your role as the host, I can't speak for everyone else, but that's fine with me. I and several others have done the same thing using different methods than yours and achieved commensurate success with our shows.


Alan B wrote:
My only concern is to provide my customers with the best karaoke experience around. I think that I'm doing that. While many of the karaoke bars in my area get around 5 or 6 singers, I get between 25 and 35 at my shows.


Yes sir. I'm right there with ya. I am accustomed to a similar scenario. I'm not certain of your "area", but I service 7 different towns in an area of over 1000 square miles of mountains. Other karaoke shows in my area only make me look better by comparison.

Alan B wrote:
And when I'm not working, I'm checking out other karaoke bars and believe me, I have nothing to worry about. As I'm out and about I have asked singers at different bars how they feel about the host including themselves in the rotation.


Well Alan, I am of the opinion that checking out other shows and engaging singers in conversation that is critical of the host is underhanded and inappropriate. If you approached me (as a singer) and brought up the topic, I'd be certain to inform the host and the venue's management of your actions.

Alan B wrote:
While some had no problem with it as long as there was only a few singers, the majority was against it for any sizable rotation (7 or more singers). If you think that singers don't care whether you sing or not, think again.


I think that you have described the general consensus among hosts also by saying some had no problem and others are against it after an arbitrary number/limit of singers is reached.

Alan B wrote:
One of the reasons I decided to become a karaoke host was to set myself apart from the rest. To offer a truly unique karaoke experience, making it fun and entertaining for my customers, treating everyone fairly and making it their night.


I too was/am motivated to differentiate myself as well as provide a better level of service to my clients and the singers. Unique, fun, entertaining, fair and all about giving them the best support when they get their turn(s) on stage.

Alan B wrote:
It IS their night, not yours.


It is OUR night simply because you can't have one without the other. When you get down to the specific point of the host singing, I just can't get to the level of derision and scorn that you're expressing. Many have said that there is no issue unless the host overdoes it and goes beyond acceptable or reasonable. We all have our opinions about what that is.

Alan B wrote:
So, since just about every host disagrees with me, I have accomplished my goal. To set myself apart from the rest. I must be doing something right because I get more calls from bar owners wanting to hire me than I can handle.


Congratulations on reaching your goal. You are apart from the rest. Now, if you could just reign in the superiority complex a bit, that'd be great. I can relate to the offers for shows that I have to refuse for several reasons, but mostly because I am completely booked year round. It's a good problem to have.

Alan B wrote:
You guys can do whatever you like at your shows.


You can do whatever you like at your shows.

Alan B wrote:
And you can try to justify it any way you want but I'll say it again, karaoke is about the singers, not the host. Remember, it's their night, not yours.


I can't speak for others, but I don't feel the need for justification. I'm comfortable with our difference of opinion. I take issue with the expression of contempt and the sneering, scoffing and put-downs.

Karaoke is about everyone. It is about cooperation and fairness. It is about the love of music and singing and sharing the experience socially, in public, among friends and future friends.

_________________
Never the same show twice!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:07 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 3222
Images: 13
Been Liked: 953 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Karaoke is about everyone. It is about cooperation and fairness. It is about the love of music and singing and sharing the experience socially, in public, among friends and future friends.

I also sing at the start of the rotation. If someone ask me to sing duet within that round I’d politely decline and tell them I already had my turn but I would recommend another capable singer to sing with her/him. Or sing solo now, I won’t sing at the start of the next round so I can sing duet with her.

My regular gig is in a family restaurant, Fri & Sat (not in a bar). I’ve known my regulars for a good 10yrs now and we’re like one big family sharing birthdays, anniversaries, good news, bad news, etc. Having said that, they all know I’m fair and run a consistent show with no favoritism.

It was mentioned here to go to another karaoke show and get your “singing fix” there. ‘Tried that, but honestly I have yet to find a place where the quality of the system is at par with mine. Always end up leaving the place feeling disappointed.

_________________
To be fortunate enough to derive an income from a source as fulfilling as karaoke music has got to be as close to heaven as we can get here on earth!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
Let me be clear; It is not my intention to "put down" anyone who disagrees with me. With that said, I don't think there's anything left for me say. You all know by now how I feel about a host including him or herself into the rotation and why I feel that way. So, continue doing what works for you and I'll do the same.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 91 times
Alan B wrote:
What most of you don't realize is that you are doing a disservice to your customers by including yourself into the rotation. Why make them wait any longer to sing than they already have to?

Look at it like this...

A rotation consisting of 20 singers, with an average time of 3:30 minutes per song means that you'll sing approximately once every hour. If I was included in that rotation of 20 singers, and sang 5 times during a five hour show, I would have cut the show by approximately 18 minutes. Meaning I just took away 18 minutes of singing time from 5 singers. Yup, 5 singers are not going to sing because of my selfish <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

Is this really putting your customers first? I don't think so.

They came out to sing. And I want them to sing as much as possible. Not take singing time away from them because of my selfish need for attention. Remember, it's their night... not yours!

One more thing --

I just love all the reasons you all have given why you must include yourself in the rotation. Some are priceless. But they're just an excuse to sing. There is not one valid reason why a host should be singing, unless asked to do a duet. Singing in the rotation is NOT putting your customers first.

The next time you have a rotation of 20, 25, or 30 singers ask them if they're OK with you singing in each round. I have, and the consensus is they don't like it. I know that a lot of you pull yourself out after so many people but some of you don't.

Anyway, like I said, my goal is to set myself apart from everyone else and put my customers first. It's sad that so many of you can't or won't do that.

Umm 20,25 or 30 singers, I am totally out of the rotation. If the rotation list is that big, I am in total agreement with you that the host that stays in the rotation is totally unprofessional. But in the situation where early in the show, what difference does it make if the host is singing or playing DJ Music to break up the rotation?

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Last edited by DannyG2006 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 1006
Images: 1
Been Liked: 179 times
Alan B wrote:
What most of you don't realize is that you are doing a disservice to your customers by including yourself into the rotation.


What you alone don't seem to realize is that your view on the subject is of no greater and no lesser import than anyone else's. It is an opinion.

Alan B wrote:
Why make them wait any longer to sing than they already have to?


This argument falls flat in the face of logic. You're talking about "when" not "who". The only person who would wait less would be the first singer of the night. It has been my experience that almost no one (except the most extroverted) actually wants to sing first. After the show starts... if you're 2nd, 3rd, 4th, it doesn't matter "who" is singing, you'll still be singing when it is your turn. The wait time is always fluctuating with the number of active/inactive singers at any given time with the added variable of new singers coming in.

Alan B wrote:
Look at it like this...

A rotation consisting of 20 singers, with an average time of 3:30 minutes per song means that you'll sing approximately once every hour.


Sure, and it could be 15 active singers with an average of 4:00 minutes per song. In your scenario, the singer would have to wait 5 more turns to sing once an hour. It's a wash, and again, it's a matter of when you are singing - who is singing makes absolutely no difference.

Alan B wrote:
If I was included in that rotation of 20 singers, and sang 5 times during a five hour show, I would have cut the show by approximately 18 minutes. Meaning I just took away 18 minutes of singing time from 5 singers. Yup, 5 singers are not going to sing because of my selfish (@$%&#!).


Your calculations have too many variables for a single outcome. You could sing a bunch of 2:00 songs on purpose and cut your time to 10 minutes total. One person could take your place in the rotation and sing 5 songs (meaning the other 4 don't factor in). 2 or 3 people could sing the last two or three songs for that spot in the list after the host drops out. The one person who took your place could sing a long song (5 min +) on their turn and resulting in an extra 8 minutes worth of time that is taken from everyone.

I'm sure that if everyone took a moment, we could all come up with another time wasting behavior of singers or hosts that could potentially eat up a song or two's worth of time during the course of 5 hours.

Alan B wrote:
Is this really putting your customers first? I don't think so.


That makes sense if you are based on the position that a host shouldn't sing.
With all due respect, that doesn't apply to everyone.

Alan B wrote:
They came out to sing. And I want them to sing as much as possible. Not take singing time away from them because of my selfish need for attention. Remember, it's their night... not yours!


They came out to sing and no one is turned away. Submit your song request(s) and wait your turn. If you focus on why you came to karaoke, namely to sing, to listen to others sing and to enjoy the music and the social interactions instead of trying to figure out how you're being "robbed" then you might be able come away with a positive experience.

Remember, as a singer, you have no control over who gets to sing. You have no control over what they get to sing unless you signed up for it first. You have no control over how many people get to sing. You have no control over when the show starts or when it stops.

Alan B wrote:
One more thing --

I just love all the reasons you all have given why you must include yourself in the rotation. Some are priceless. But they're just an excuse to sing. There is not one valid reason why a host should be singing, unless asked to do a duet. Singing in the rotation is NOT putting your customers first.


I don't particularly care for all the reasons why you condemn hosts who sing. Most are based on negativity and self-righteousness. They're just an excuse to continue the degradation of those who don't agree. There are several valid reasons for a host to sing, it's just that you refuse to acknowledge them.

Alan B wrote:
The next time you have a rotation of 20, 25, or 30 singers ask them if they're OK with you singing in each round. I have, and the consensus is they don't like it. I know that a lot of you pull yourself out after so many people but some of you don't.


Like broken record... can we at least table this particular point of discussion by agreeing that this is extreme and that no one here has stated that they keep themselves active when they have that many singers. It's moot.

Alan B wrote:
Anyway, like I said, my goal is to set myself apart from everyone else and put my customers first. It's sad that so many of you can't or won't do that.


Your sadness is so very poignant. Crocodile tears? mmmmmmmm.... salty.

It's a wonder I have any shows at all with everyone being mistreated.

Awwwwww... I promised myself I wouldn't cry and now my tears are drenching my keyboard. :bawling:

_________________
Never the same show twice!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 4372
Location: Phoenix Az
Been Liked: 908 times
Alan B wrote:
Let me be clear; It is not my intention to "put down" anyone who disagrees with me.

Bull $h!t....

"No KJ should sing, period!"
"Nice try Danny but trying to justify singing the first song in order to make sure that everything is OK for your singers is just not gonna cut it with me."
"There is no reason in hell why the KJ should include himself in the rotation, or even sing the first song."
"You keep telling yourself that. :D"
"without me doing the first song. There are professionals and then there are karaoke hosts."
"The singing the first song to make sure everything is OK is bullcrap."
"No host should include themselves into the rotation. It's in very poor taste."
"find a new line of work since obviously you have no idea of what karaoke is really about."
"Really?? Wow, what a misguided soul."
"You just keep telling yourself that."
" Your way of thinking clearly indicates it's about you, not your singers"
"don't call yourself a professional because with that mentality you never were one and never will be one."
" you are nothing more than karaoke singers trying to turn a buck while enjoying your hobby."
"You have demonstrated that it's all about you and your self centered egotistical needs."
"Why don't you act like a professional instead of a bunch of amateurs?"
" I wish I could call you professionals but you've proven otherwise."
"They are not professional karaoke hosts"
"They're just karaoke singers trying to play DJ or KJ at the expense of their singers"
"I say find another line of work"
"There is no reason for that whatsoever"
"A true professional will get that. A karaoke singer, which is what so many of you are, will not."
"nothing more than karaoke singers looking for attention"
" OMG, are you people so delusional??"
"those who agree with this way of thinking don't care about their singers, only themselves"
"Don't you find that pathetic"


your entire reason for being here is to tell every host here that they are
1) selfish
2) unprofessional
3) egotistical
4) delusional
5) pathetic
because they do not do as you....the one and only professional karaoke host among everyone here....because it is the only right way to host.

you have used these terms to insult
DannyG
dsm2000
Lonman
Mightywiz
Paradigm
Lone Ranger
andrew 3000
Topher M
NoShame
Smoothedge
Elementary Penguin
GeminiMale
Crazyface
Cueball
Warrenkel16
johnreynolds
mrmarog
mtnkaraoke
c staley (partial)
Brian A

and you claim "It is not my intention to "put down" anyone who disagrees with me"
that is bull $h!t.

many of us have been successful for a long time, some longer than others. i'm still young in the business (9 years) but 10 shows a week and 2 hosts with an average 25+ singer rotation (not total singers in a night, just per rotation) i think our method has shown to
1) be successful
2) be attended by many singers
3) fill venues
4) attract singers from non-singing hosts

and that's just me.
Lonnie has been doing this over 25 years and has the same results

so you are calling us all liars for saying our shows are successful too? because they obviously can not be since we sing.

_________________
Paradigm Karaoke, The New Standard.......Shift Happens


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
so you are calling us all liars for saying our shows are successful too? because they obviously can not be since we sing.

I never said you can't have a successful show unless you don't sing. I'm saying that I think it's wrong for a host to take a spot in the rotation. There is no reason for it, period! I believe that a host who includes themselves into the rotation is just looking for the attention they so desperately desire. The only ones who should be getting attention are the people who came out to sing. Karaoke night is about the singers, not the host, although many of you disagree with that. I just don't understand why you guys feel you have to make yourself part of the show.

Why am I getting people from other shows where the host included himself into the rotation? Why have these same people told me that they didn't like that the host sang?

I am not making this stuff up. Singers do care. I am a singer too. And I've walked out of shows where the host included himself into the rotation even though there were enough singers where it wasn't necessary. But I know that many of you can't see that or just won't care.

But the question I have is why? If your singers are so important to you and they'll be able to sing more by not including yourself in the rotation, then why do it?

Look, I can even accept singing the first song to start off the show to set the momentum or to check the sound but that's as far as I'll budge. The reason I'm so passionate about this subject is because there are many hosts that include themselves in every rotation whether they have 3 singers or 30 singers. They have taken advantage and abused the privilege of being a host at the expense of their customers. And that is just not right.

(ok, bring on the hate mail)


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 3222
Images: 13
Been Liked: 953 times
Alan B wrote:
Nice try Danny but trying to justify singing the first song in order to make sure that everything is OK for your singers is just not gonna cut it with me.

Alan B wrote:
Look, I can even accept singing the first song to start off the show to set the momentum or to check the sound but that's as far as I'll budge.

Spoken like a true politician: :laughatthat: Flip-Flopping!

Have a great Labor Day weekend, Alan. You are entitled to your opinion (?). I still consider you a good friend. :wink:

_________________
To be fortunate enough to derive an income from a source as fulfilling as karaoke music has got to be as close to heaven as we can get here on earth!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1943
Been Liked: 381 times
Brian A wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Nice try Danny but trying to justify singing the first song in order to make sure that everything is OK for your singers is just not gonna cut it with me.

Alan B wrote:
Look, I can even accept singing the first song to start off the show to set the momentum or to check the sound but that's as far as I'll budge.

Spoken like a true politician: :laughatthat: Flip-Flopping!

Have a great Labor Day weekend, Alan. You are entitled to your opinion (?). I still consider you a good friend. :wink:

Thank you Brian. The key word is "accept". Doesn't mean I agree.

Now, let me share my experience about a new karaoke bar I went to last night for the first time. First of all, it was a pretty nice place. The people were friendly and the host had a pretty good sound system and did a good job hosting.

Started out with around 7 singers and maxed out to 18. The place was packed and everyone had a good time including me. But do you want to know the best part of all? The host did NOT sing! Not once. Not even the first song. Wow, how refreshing. Which reinforces what I've been saying all along; a host does not have to sing in order to have a successful show.

Why don't you guys that include yourselves in the rotation try it sometime. Don't sing at anything all night. I'll bet the show will still go on, people won't leave, and people will still have fun. And, get to sing more!

I'm so happy that there's actually another host that shares my views about putting the singers first. So, like I said, there is no reason why a host should sing. It's not necessary and you can still have a great show regardless. To me, it's just being selfish.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 342
Been Liked: 107 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
What do you mean? Active people??

Thank you for the kind words. I won't hold it against you, that you don't like my Friday bar. LOL


Jaseoke's karaoke band called it quits a few years ago, and he doesn't post here anymore.

I just am unconfortable with places that don't serve whiskey.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 342
Been Liked: 107 times
Alan,

You list me in as a disagreeing host. I am not. Still just a singer--that's why my name is in blue.

I'm a disagreeing patron. Or karaoke singer. Or whatever. Again, still really don't care if a host sings every rotation, whether it's a rotation of five or a rotation of twenty.

Some singers probably do, I'll grant you. Others don't. There's not some All Singers Are Like This hard and fast rule on things. Some like to sing a lot. Some like to sing a little. Went to a show out of town last night. Sang one song. Nice big crowd. Decent aized rotation. Only reason I left--bar itself was too busy and it was difficult to get a drink or a seat.

Host sang there. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Lone Ranger and 92 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech