KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Busy Karaoke Season Is Just Around The Corner Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Well here in Florida we have two seasons... Hot and Tourist. The heat is drawing down now and our average daily high is finally below 90 (89 as of 1 week ago). With cooler temperatures comes many tourists with cash to spend.

How many of you have attendance based on tourists. I have very good summer crowds, but when September hits it gets real slow. I might only have 30 to 40 people and 10 to 15 singers. The bars around here are all very aware of this cycle and don't seem to panic when attendance drops off.

Who else experiences this problem?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I'm also in Florida, but in a major population center (Tampa Bay), and my attendance does not seem to change based on the seasons. There are a few points in the year that I can always count on to be a bit slow, like the week school starts, the week school ends, etc., but otherwise it is pretty steady year round.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
We have slightly different seasons here in alberta.

there's Fall, "I'm Melting, kill me now" and "I'm freezing my nuts off, kill me now"

doesn't really seem to affect karaoke attendance for the shows I go to

-james

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
mrmarog wrote:
Well here in Florida we have two seasons... Hot and Tourist. The heat is drawing down now and our average daily high is finally below 90 (89 as of 1 week ago). With cooler temperatures comes many tourists with cash to spend.

How many of you have attendance based on tourists. I have very good summer crowds, but when September hits it gets real slow. I might only have 30 to 40 people and 10 to 15 singers. The bars around here are all very aware of this cycle and don't seem to panic when attendance drops off.

Who else experiences this problem?

Palm Springs CA here, We have HOT and Snowbird seasons. Both can be busy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Our busy season is about to begin.... but since a LOT of our patrons are fairly young -- usually with kids in school -- I won't begin until the economics catch up with the pay periods.

Most of these patrons have dumped a ton on school supplies for those that are K thru 12 and others are pretty deep in the hole with college bills that can average about $30,000 for the first year of college alone.

When they can afford to, they'll be back out to drown their sorrows and lighten the mood with song....

We're far from "slow" but it's not as packed as usual. I'll give it another couple weeks for their first credit card statement shock factor to wear off....

We'll have another slower time like this about 2 weeks after Christmas when they get their holiday statements..... (and it ain't "ho, ho, ho")

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

My wife and I will be leaving the "heat" for about 1 month starting around September 21. We have been outfitting our motorhome for a trip to California an parts unknown. I will be taking a Bose L1 compact, a super small footprint Yamaha mixer with EFX (MG06X), 2 wireless mics and a laptop. Hopefully I will find a camp site that will want a little entertainment.

By the time I get back tourist season (snowbird) will be almost ready to kick off. We don't host much anymore, but when we do it really gets me excited. I wrote about a potential new gig in a huge 3 story bar that I might have some hand in, and that is going to be opening in mid October.

This will be the first full season in years that I have had were all my health issues are fixed. It was 1 year ago on Sept 9 that I had my right hip replaced, and the second hip was replaced in mid October, then the car accident on Dec 23, 2016. My wife is nearly fully recovered from her broken back (from the accident), and is looking forward to being the "hostess with the mostess".

My count down is coinciding with the election so it will be easy to keep track of :wink:

Oh, I'm getting dehydrated and I'm about to faint so I've got to go!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
mrmarog, I see you're taking mobile karaoke to the next level! Have fun on your trip and good luck with your new gig!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Just yesterday I tried to play a karaoke cd in the RV DVD player and it played the song with graphics. Then I investigated further and found it had a key changer too. I am not going to use it that way, but I thought that was interesting.

Only 5 more days until my wife, my dog and I are on the road to California and parts unknown. I will have to say it is a little scary because so much can go wrong with a motorhome and the expense can be huge.

When I get back season will just be starting and the fun times will begin. I love doing gigs when every seat is filled, the dance floor is crowded, you have to make a reservation, and I have 35 plus singers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:05 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Safe travels my friend.
Keep us updated on your adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Up here in the mountains... the leaf-peepers are starting their annual pilgrimage.

We have the "Ski season" and the "Summer season" with two "Mud Seasons" that last about 6 weeks in the Spring and Fall.

Event coordinators and entertainment venues usually have something special planned during the "slow" times to bump up attendance. Tonight's venue informed me days ago that there is a car show, a wine exhibition/tasting and at least two wedding parties booked into one of the nearby hotels. We've printed up stack of flyers (4up on 8.5x11) and they get distributed every Saturday morning to all the hotels' concierge desks and posted in shop windows and handed out to people. It helps. Oh, and we have several mountain towns who do Oktober Fest in September for reasons not quite clear... probably because actual October can be unpredictably harsh weather for outdoor festivals in the mountains.

I'm jealous of your ability to break free from your gigs and go on an adventure. I've been thinking about downsizing from my home and living the nomadic lifestyle. I spend too damn much time driving every week as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
mrmarog wrote:
Just yesterday I tried to play a karaoke cd in the RV DVD player and it played the song with graphics. Then I investigated further and found it had a key changer too. I am not going to use it that way, but I thought that was interesting.

Only 5 more days until my wife, my dog and I are on the road to California and parts unknown. I will have to say it is a little scary because so much can go wrong with a motorhome and the expense can be huge.

When I get back season will just be starting and the fun times will begin. I love doing gigs when every seat is filled, the dance floor is crowded, you have to make a reservation, and I have 35 plus singers.

Roger - The parents of a good friend of mine sold their house of 40+ years and most of their possessions, bought a motor home and hit the road about two years ago. He is 78 and she is 73. They were here in Florida visiting friends just a few weeks ago and they are making their way up the eastern seaboard before coming back south and then planning routes across the southern US for the winter. I follow their adventures on Facebook and have a lot of admiration for them. I bet you will do just fine! Especially with some karaoke!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

We are 5 days into our new journey and have arrived in El Paso, TX. Needless to say my Mexican Karaoke songs would be a big hit, and if it wasn't so cold (61 degrees 4 PM) I would set up right now! Looking at the demographics it would be a hit!! So far everything has been going great.

I will keep everyone informed during our 30+ day US tour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrmarog wrote:
I will keep everyone informed during our 30+ day US tour.

Roger, let me know if you'll be here Fri or Sat night. pm me so I can give you more info.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I am sitting outside my RV right now drinking a Spaten Optimator in perfect 80 degree weather in Tuscon, AZ. I am at Lazy Days Rv Park.... it is absolutely wonderful. I rode my bike for the first time in 13 years tonight and am I out of shape. I am sure laying on my back for the entire year of 2015 didn't help either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
you're in my back yard, enjoy the weather

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Fortunately no sand storms here. Here are some pictures.

Attachments:
P9270049-001.JPG
P9270049-001.JPG [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 42086 times ]
P9270052-001.JPG
P9270052-001.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 42086 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:36 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 21 times
mrmarog wrote:
I am sitting outside my RV right now drinking a Spaten Optimator in perfect 80 degree weather in Tuscon, AZ. I am at Lazy Days Rv Park.... it is absolutely wonderful. I rode my bike for the first time in 13 years tonight and am I out of shape. I am sure laying on my back for the entire year of 2015 didn't help either.
Paradigm to the NW about 60 miles, and I'm about 65 miles South on the Mexican Border (USA Side) in Nogales, Az. Hopefully the weather stays nice while your visiting... has a tendency to change quite frequently this time of year, but more predictable than where you have been traveling thus far... but you missed the monsoon (Rainy) season, now we have to watch the tropical squalls that approach from the Pacific coast of Mexico, but only once in a great while this time of year... Warm Days, and cool nights... a favorable time of the year around these parts... Enjoy! (Nice Rig, By the By!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JD, I waved at you on my way past HollyWeird on !5. It was amazingly easy driving through all of the LA area on Sunday.

Brian, I am currently in Petaluma through Sunday Oct 8. I will get in touch soon.

So far life on the road has been lots of fun. Not even close to being homesick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrmarog wrote:
Brian, I am currently in Petaluma through Sunday Oct 8. I will get in touch soon.

Welcome to California, mrmarog. can you come this Friday, Oct 7th?

I can reserve a table for you & your family. I can also arrange a parking spot for that big Mercedes Navion as well. send me a pm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I went to Brian's show in Martinez, California Friday October 7 and brought my wife, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and her husband. It was my brother-in-law's (Warren) 63rd birthday and he had a fabulous time. Brian and his wife, Pam, showed us all an extraordinary over the top show.

The amazing thing was the wonderful family "everybody knows everybody" show, which is the closest show/environnement to my show that I have ever experienced. Brian has the most elaborate display of equipment and video displays I have ever seen.

Brian has so many things going on with switching from Karma, to music videos, and separate displays for rotation, and he did it flawlessly. All his speakers are QSC's, and his singers mics are Shure Beta 58's, which sounded great. He also has several other mics including an "Elvis Mic".

My wife and I both sang 3 songs, and she is very fussy about the sound on the stage for the singer. She said that she was equally happy with Brian's systems as she is with mine. I will have to say that I have never heard that before!!!!

My wife, Margo, felt an immediate bond with Brian's wife, Pam. She has a natural gift of making everyone feel at home. It was the first KS member's show I have attended, and it will be very hard to out do my experience I had with Brain and Pam.

Thank you very much for everything.

PS I am currently in the Yosemite area, and heading to Hoover Dam tomorrow. The RV has been absolutely perfect for us. My dog is exhausted from the travel.(see picture)

Attachments:
Pam Warren Margo.JPG
Pam Warren Margo.JPG [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 41797 times ]
Warren Brian Pam.JPG
Warren Brian Pam.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 41797 times ]
Schnitzel dog tired.JPG
Schnitzel dog tired.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 41797 times ]