KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Hardwire your kiosk - CompuHost Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 am
Posts: 1408
Images: 2
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Been Liked: 99 times
Now-a-days many kj's are utilizing the "kiosk" style remote request features available in a few karaoke softwares.

What I've noticed and this has wreaked havoc on my kj's using the remote request system from Compuhost is that when connected via wifi results in Freezing, random crashes, and lag.

since switching to a wired connection gave a tremendous result including very fast send to que, no more freezing, no more crashes. it's basically working flawless now including the feature to auto detect ip.

I basically connect 3 kiosks direct to a D-Link router and Laptop direct to D-link router, restart computer, boot up Compuhost, enable the server and that's it. the rest just works perfect from windows xp to windows 10 and also Linux using Wine installer.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 4372
Location: Phoenix Az
Been Liked: 906 times
hmm... not had any issues myself. wonder if it's weak wifi.

_________________
Paradigm Karaoke, The New Standard.......Shift Happens


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 am 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Now-a-days many kj's are utilizing the "kiosk" style remote request features available in a few karaoke softwares.

What I've noticed and this has wreaked havoc on my kj's using the remote request system from Compuhost is that when connected via wifi results in Freezing, random crashes, and lag.

since switching to a wired connection gave a tremendous result including very fast send to que, no more freezing, no more crashes. it's basically working flawless now including the feature to auto detect ip.

I basically connect 3 kiosks direct to a D-Link router and Laptop direct to D-link router, restart computer, boot up Compuhost, enable the server and that's it. the rest just works perfect from windows xp to windows 10 and also Linux using Wine installer.

I have my router (Netgear) hooked up wirelessly to my computer and never had an issue with any of the problems you have experienced. Please remember, you do NOT set up an internet connection. You are setting up your own network in which people (using their smartphones) can connect to your network. They are connecting to you, not the internet.

So, configure your router as a wireless connection without the internet. If you need help, CH can guide you through or their is help info on their site.

Once properly configured, here's what you do:

1. On your PC, go to where it says "wireless connections are available" and choose the one for your router (or the name you gave it, let's call it KNF)

2. Once connected, it should say: KNF connected, no internet.

3. Open Compuhost, and click on Activate Remote Requests.

4. Write down that URL that appears (icon in task bar), something like 192.168.1.2

Now, to use your smartphone to connect:

1. Go to your wireless settings and choose KNF
2. Enter the password (the one you chose when you configured your router).
3 Then open your internet browser, (google chrome) and where you would type a web address, enter that number.

And that's it. You're connected.

One more thing, the kiosk software must also be on your laptop that you are running CH from. And if you're running a touch screen kiosk, the kiosk software must also be on the pc that is powering the kiosk. You do not need to follow the same steps to connect with the kiosk as you do with the smartphone.

For that, you just choose your network connection (KNF) from your kiosk pc, and you connect.

Remember at no time do you use the internet.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Alan, the only time that I had success connecting a smartphone to the host computer was through the Internet. So yes you do need the Internet to access the kiosk via smartphone. I will agree that you don't have to be connected to the Internet for your kiosk computer to connect with the host computer though. Granted I no longer use CompuHost and will never go back to it since I don't believe that you should have to pay for the ability to receive requests remotely. Granted, I would be paying monthly if I hadn't been a beta testers for the request software that I now use but I would gladly pay for it because it does so much more than Compuhost's phone app and kiosk. I get both the kiosk and phone app capability in one package. The request app doesn’t have to load the songlist everytime I boot it up,it's already on the Internet server.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:10 am 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan, the only time that I had success connecting a smartphone to the host computer was through the Internet. So yes you do need the Internet to access the kiosk via smartphone.

Danny, you do not. If what you're saying is true, then it wouldn't be working for me and I don't connect to the internet. Trust me, people using their smart phones to turn in their song requests are connected to your wireless network, NOT the internet. They are connected to YOU. Your network. The internet has nothing to do with it. If it's not working for you then your router is not properly configured.

I know that a lot of people don't understand the concept or have their routers configured wrong. But believe me, it works like a charm. You're welcome to come to one of my shows and I can prove it to you. Thanks.

Danny, here is the manual for the Remote Request System from CH's website. Nowhere does it say you need an internet connection. What you do need is a wireless router properly configured.

http://www.kjtools.com/chkiosk/manual/

One more thing: In order for the smart phone feature to work, you must have both the Remote Server and the Remote Client both installed on the host computer. Not in the manual but CH explained it to me.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
That's okay, as I said, I have left CompuHost totally behind. I no longer have a active registration because my songs are no longer in MP3+G format and there are only two players that can play them and they are by far superior to Compuhost anyway. I left CompuHost because of the fact that none of my videos will play properly and I know that it has to be a CompuHost issue because both of my other players play the videos perfectly without having to change anything other than the player that I was using. If CompuHost ended up fixing the issue it is too little too late. With the exception of the home player on my roommate's desktop, I no longer have need of any of Compuhost's products. Not that they are bad products, I just have no need for them. If I want to add songs to the home player I will just use Power CDG burner to convert a copy of any song that I add to my pro setup. Compuhost's kiosk and phone app add the capability to submit fake profiles. The request system that I use now has the security feature of needing to reply to an email or sign in through Facebook to submit a request.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Another reason I left CompuHost behind is that the Marquee doesn't give enough information for me. Siglos was better with the actual time left instead of leaving me guessing exactly how much time was left. I really like Hoster's Marquee even better. It has a very nice personal touch with its Welcome singer's name to the show and other welcoming messages that you can display. I think that I may edit the welcome so and so to show to add at the name of venue and leave the Marquee running even when I don't have an audience monitor.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 4372
Location: Phoenix Az
Been Liked: 906 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I really like Hoster's Marquee even better. It has a very nice personal touch with its Welcome singer's name to the show and other welcoming messages that you can display.

what do you mean? what is it doing that you can't do on Siglos? genuinely curious if there is something that can be changed.

_________________
Paradigm Karaoke, The New Standard.......Shift Happens


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Instead of a general next up, it welcomes the singer by name to the show and then lists them as being up and then lists the next four singers. But the big thing for me is the ability to receive requests remotely right into the player. I couldn't wait for PowerKaraoke to get theirs done because I am going to be down a person of my two man team which means that I am going to have to do it all myself. By going out into the audience to get requests from those who don't have smartphones, calling them up to sing, hitting play, yeah I know that I can set it on auto but I occasionally have singers that like to take their sweet time and it wouldn't be hospitable to just allow the player to start playing with them still in the audience where they are not supposed to be at the time. I am too nice and guy to just hit skip if they don't make it on stage in time for them to start singing but I don't want to hit restart either. I only give a person one restart unless they are more than quarter of the way through the song, at that point either they catch on to where the song is or we move on to the next singer.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 am 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 21712
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1653 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Another reason I left CompuHost behind is that the Marquee doesn't give enough information for me. Siglos was better with the actual time left instead of leaving me guessing exactly how much time was left. I really like Hoster's Marquee even better. It has a very nice personal touch with its Welcome singer's name to the show and other welcoming messages that you can display. I think that I may edit the welcome so and so to show to add at the name of venue and leave the Marquee running even when I don't have an audience monitor.

If you know any HTML coding, you can even have each line come up in a different color as it scrolls.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 am 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Another reason I left CompuHost behind is that the Marquee doesn't give enough information for me.

Are we talking about the same program (CompuHost)? The scrolling marquee shows the persons name, what position their in and the song that they're going to sing. You can customize it any way you want and in any color you want. You can change the text to say anything you want. And you can add promos to the marquee, great for advertising food and drink specials. It does it all. Did you take the time to go into the settings to see how to customize it? As far as showing time remaining, while it doesn't actually show the time, which I would not want it to show anyway, it gives color codes to the left of the scroll bar. Yellow means 1 minute to go and then turns red when there's 30 seconds left. Much less distracting than a clock count down.

You can also include personal messages on the scroll as well like Happy Birthday Mary or anything you can think of. So again, I don't get you saying that the CH marquee doesn't give enough information. Are you sure you're talking about CH?

There is nothing that the Siglos marquee can do that CH can't. You just need to learn how to use it. For example:

If you want to show the song next to the singers name, great. If you don't and just want to show the singers name only, you can do that too. If you want to have the scrolling marquee disappear when someone is singing so it's not distracting you can do that too. Automatically. And then it resumes after the singer is done. You can also position it anywhere on screen. Top, bottom, etc. There is just about everything that you can customize so before you say (not you personally) it doesn't do this or that, learn how to use it.


I'm not putting Siglos or those who use it down. I tried it and by comparison, it was like using a toy.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Sorry but I personally need to know exactly how much time I have in the audience for my purposes, I don't stay at the system waiting for singers to come to me,I choose to be proactive and provide what I consider better customer service than the ones that just sit by their equipment. I also like to be where I can actually hear the mix between the vocals and the music so that I can provide better sound. I don't have the room in my car to transport an extra pair of speakers to act as monitors and even if I did not every venue that I do have somewhere to place them. Nor do I always have a venue where I can set up my equipment with the singers, the Singer's monitor and the speakers in front of them. So I am opting for the walk through the audience to 1) interact with the audience and monitor the sound mix. CompuHost falls miserably short on this. I don't want to have to remember what the colors mean, I want actual numbers and Compuhost's time keeping is all estimates and not real time. Hoster's and Siglos uses real time and not average estimates to tell singers when their next turn is coming up, another area where CompuHost falls short. Add to that the fact that I can come to your show,exclusively use the kiosk and set up a fake profile that until you see me come to the stage, you won't know that it's the same person submitting for both names. With my mobile kiosk, I am enforcing a rule that you can only submit songs for yourself and not for a "friend" that turns out to being you. With the app on the smartphone, with the exception of having multiple email addresses or Facebook accounts, cheating my rotation to get more songs in the rotation is virtually impossible to do.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 am 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Sorry but I personally need to know exactly how much time I have in the audience for my purposes, I don't stay at the system waiting for singers to come to me,I choose to be proactive and provide what I consider better customer service than the ones that just sit by their equipment. I also like to be where I can actually hear the mix between the vocals and the music so that I can provide better sound. I don't have the room in my car to transport an extra pair of speakers to act as monitors and even if I did not every venue that I do have somewhere to place them. Nor do I always have a venue where I can set up my equipment with the singers, the Singer's monitor and the speakers in front of them. So I am opting for the walk through the audience to 1) interact with the audience and monitor the sound mix. CompuHost falls miserably short on this. I don't want to have to remember what the colors mean, I want actual numbers and Compuhost's time keeping is all estimates and not real time. Hoster's and Siglos uses real time and not average estimates to tell singers when their next turn is coming up, another area where CompuHost falls short. Add to that the fact that I can come to your show,exclusively use the kiosk and set up a fake profile that until you see me come to the stage, you won't know that it's the same person submitting for both names. With my mobile kiosk, I am enforcing a rule that you can only submit songs for yourself and not for a "friend" that turns out to being you. With the app on the smartphone, with the exception of having multiple email addresses or Facebook accounts, cheating my rotation to get more songs in the rotation is virtually impossible to do.

Well, then... I'm glad it's working out for you. But I'd just like to point out that CH does tell you the times that singers will be up next. It's the far right column of the singer rotation. Next to each person is the time their expected to sing again. So, if someone says when am I up next, you can tell them just by looking at the time next to their name. It also gives the time they put in their song request.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Unfortunately that is just an estimate based on the amount of time you set the average time. Siglos and Hoster are exact times derived from the songs themselves. So CompuHost is not at all accurate whatsoever. Stop making claims that you can't back up. I have been using CompuHost since Windows Vista came out so I know what it offers and what it doesn't. They might have fixed a flaw in it but I moved on before they fixed it because I couldn't wait for them to fix it. I needed to be able to play my videos and CompuHost wouldn't and it had to be a flaw in CompuHost because the only change that I made to my computer was changing what player that I used to play the songs.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:34 pm 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Unfortunately that is just an estimate based on the amount of time you set the average time

Again, what are you talking about? It IS based on an exact time. You don't set anything. Have you been using V3? Or was your experience with V1?

I can see from your remarks about CH, you really didn't know how to use it correctly. You have incorrectly stated things that it can't or won't do. Everything you complained about, CH can indeed do. And does it eloquently. And every feature works as stated. I have never had a problem with any of it. But because you have, you're blaming CH.

Again, it's either not taking the time to learn, configure and customize the program or it's a user error which is most likely why you're having such issues or had such issues with it.

How come I've never had any problem running videos with CH? And it plays the new MP4 HD tracks flawlessly. And the remote request feature for both smart phones and kiosks works beautifully. So tell me, how come all of this that you blame CH for not working, is working like a charm for me? And others who use it? And I do have KJ friends who use it and they have never had any of the problems that you've mentioned either.

So, once again if you don't like CH that's fine. But please don't say it doesn't have the features you wanted or that it didn't work because it does. More than likely, any problems came from your misunderstanding of the program or your machine.

I've been using it since Version 1 and have never had an issue. I still feel it is the most comprehensive, feature packed hosting software you can get and I've tried them all. The bottom line is that CH works and works well.

Everything you've stated about CH is false. It's like saying Allen & Heath mixers are no good because you don't know how to use it and configure it properly.

You are free to use any hosting program that you like. And not every program is right for everyone. But please don't say CompuHost is no good because it didn't work for you.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:35 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1566812633339306&set=a.940384142648828.1073741828.100000317528558&type=3


Notice the 4:00 at the top that says "Average Performance time"
Now count how many minutes that are between each singer. exactly 4 minutes.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1566812633339306&set=a.940384142648828.1073741828.100000317528558&type=3


Notice the 4:00 at the top that says "Average Performance time"
Now count how many minutes that are between each singer. exactly 4 minutes.

This is exactly my point about totally misunderstanding the program. The Average Performance Time is something entirely different. It's a feature you might want to learn about. Now, carefully read the next paragraph.

Now, look at the Performer Rotation box (in the same picture you posted). Look to the right of where the singers names appear and you will see the exact time of their Next Performance.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1566812633339306&set=a.940384142648828.1073741828.100000317528558&type=3


Notice the 4:00 at the top that says "Average Performance time"
Now count how many minutes that are between each singer. exactly 4 minutes.

This is exactly my point about totally misunderstanding the program. The Average Performance Time is something entirely different. It's a feature you might want to learn about. Now, carefully read the next paragraph.

Now, look at the Performer Rotation box (in the same picture you posted). Look to the right of where the singers names appear and you will see the exact time of their Next Performance.

Are you even looking at the same picture. The first time listing to the right of the singer is the time they put the request in the next area which is blank is the last time they sang, The next time is when they are next up to sing which if you take the top singer and subtract it you get 4 minutes which proves what I am saying. The first singer's song request was 100 Years by Five For Fighting, the second singer's song Was American Pie and the last singer's song was Your Cheatin' Heart by Hank Williams Sr. You know darn well American Pie isn't 4 Minutes long but at least 6. so why doesn't the time that Compuhost shows represent that?
Like I said Compuhost estimates the times it shows by the average performance time in the box. The only exact times might be the time last sung and the time they entered the rotation but not the time that they are going to sing next.
Don't you even want to be able to give the singer asking when they are coming up to sing accurate information? Hoster and Siglos both give accurate information where Compuhost does not.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 pm 
Online
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 1940
Been Liked: 380 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1566812633339306&set=a.940384142648828.1073741828.100000317528558&type=3


Notice the 4:00 at the top that says "Average Performance time"
Now count how many minutes that are between each singer. exactly 4 minutes.

This is exactly my point about totally misunderstanding the program. The Average Performance Time is something entirely different. It's a feature you might want to learn about. Now, carefully read the next paragraph.

Now, look at the Performer Rotation box (in the same picture you posted). Look to the right of where the singers names appear and you will see the exact time of their Next Performance.

Are you even looking at the same picture. The first time listing to the right of the singer is the time they put the request in the next area which is blank is the last time they sang, The next time is when they are next up to sing which if you take the top singer and subtract it you get 4 minutes which proves what I am saying. The first singer's song request was 100 Years by Five For Fighting, the second singer's song Was American Pie and the last singer's song was Your Cheatin' Heart by Hank Williams Sr. You know darn well American Pie isn't 4 Minutes long but at least 6. so why doesn't the time that Compuhost shows represent that?
Like I said Compuhost estimates the times it shows by the average performance time in the box. The only exact times might be the time last sung and the time they entered the rotation but not the time that they are going to sing next.
Don't you even want to be able to give the singer asking when they are coming up to sing accurate information? Hoster and Siglos both give accurate information where Compuhost does not.
Yes, what you're saying is true. It's giving a time based on what you have it set at. But like I said, it can be configured in settings. I'll check it out at my next show. But the point is, everything that you complained about not working, does work perfectly. But none of this matters. You're happy with Siglos and you're going to stay with it. Bottom line is stay with what works for you.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 3470
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 90 times
I am only using Siglos on my backup computer. My regular computer is running Hoster which gave me back a feature that I actually missed from CompuHost but was willing to go without until my assistant had to mess up my plans are little bit because of some necessary surgical procedures, one of them being a total knee replacement. Because she is not going to be able for a while to move around the audience, I needed to go to a player that the song request software that I had finally settled on because of the ease of use factor plus the fact that it gave me both a phone app and kiosk capability. I don't use a kiosk in a traditional manner. Instead of a fixed location, I have it set up on a 10" Android tablet that allows me to take it to any spot in the bar so that a singer who doesn't have a smartphone can still make a request from their own seat instead of having to come to me to put a song in. Last that I knew, you couldn't do that with Compuhost's phone app. And the kiosk was windows operating system only and not available for a windows phone. The biggest difference between the song request system is that because I absolutely refuse to let anyone make a request for another person and the phone app when used in personal mode requires either a login from Facebook or an email address that you must reply to an email before you can even sign in makes it virtually impossible to cheat the rotation system by creating a false profile. Notice that I say virtually impossible. One can go to the trouble of creating a new email address if they want to do extra work just so they can sign in with different stage names. Compuhost's kiosk is easy to create a false profile because it doesn't take the necessary security procedures to make it hard to do. I actually have 2 different stage names, one I personally gave myself when I first started going to karaoke because of the fact that my parents, whom I lived with at the time didn't approve of my going to bars to sing because of the preconceived notion that you only drank alcohol at a bar and that if anyone that they knew saw me in a bar and thought that I was drinking that I was giving the family and bad name so I never used my real name. The other I picked up from a meme on Facebook that told you what your karaoke stage name would be based on the month that you were born and the first letter of your first name. I just missed being Axel Rose by one letter.

_________________
I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host. I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman. Anything less is Just Karaoke.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 95 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech