KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice question Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound Choice question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Maybe this has been covered before but I was looking on ebay and noticed some Sound Choice Foundation 1 discs with a white background where the song titles were and not the shiny silver that I have always seen. Are these legit from Sound Choice? Also, says made in the UK. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUND-CHOICE-KA ... Swa~BYdSdu

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Yes Sanj, the ones with white bg's are made in the UK by Mediaplas. They might be legit..... they might also be copies.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Legit sc7501 or burned cdr? Agree with mrmarog. Hard to tell.

I have a few uk fsc-mediaplas with white background extended to the inner diameter. I know they made lots of sc3500 and sc9000. I don’t think they also made the foundation series. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Yes Sanj, the ones with white bg's are made in the UK by Mediaplas. They might be legit..... they might also be copies.

Thank you Is there a way to tell if legit or copy?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
sanj wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

Thank you Is there a way to tell if legit or copy?
I have a few of these that I know are not fake and I will see if they have a ring code on them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Songs: 14
Been Liked: 42 times
Foundation and Brick series Sound Choice discs are SUPPOSED to have the white background. The silver color you mentioned is on Spotlight discs, Star Series disc, and many others.

Still, anything can be faked. The item is listed as "new" on eBay, which is a big red flag. They don't make these things anymore, do they? You'd think it'd be listed as "used."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Mark Cheetah wrote:
Foundation and Brick series Sound Choice discs are SUPPOSED to have the white background. The silver color you mentioned is on Spotlight discs, Star Series disc, and many others.

Still, anything can be faked. The item is listed as "new" on eBay, which is a big red flag. They don't make these things anymore, do they? You'd think it'd be listed as "used."

Mark I have another SC Foundation 1 and they are silver/shiny with no white background. If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it... Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
if they are white background, they should say
"Compiled And Processed BY FSC - Media Plas PO Box 100, New Milton Hants BH257XQ United Kingdom fsc@mediaplas.com www.soundchoice.com. "

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
if they are white background, they should say
"Compiled And Processed BY FSC - Media Plas PO Box 100, New Milton Hants BH257XQ United Kingdom fsc@mediaplas.com http://www.soundchoice.com. "

Appreciate the response yes they say that so you think they are the real McCoy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
it doesn't matter!

you bought them "In Good Faith", if you have a receipt for the purchase then whomever sold them to you is liable not you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Sanj: yes, they could easily be real
but i agree with Mightywiz, if you do this over a handful of discs every time you will go nuts. CB, PHM, SC, etc all used burns near the end of their life's and label designs changed throughout that time so what label look what way at what time with tracks that may or may not have been licensed to create in the fist place.....
it isn't worth the headache. do your best, pay for your music, buy in good faith (an SC8125 with a lightscribe label is obvious...) and move on with life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:55 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I bought a new unopened Foundation 1 that had both discs with silver background and white background, in which everything with a silver background were from original releases (Charlotte, N.C.), the white background were re-releases for replacing songs that licensing couldn't be obtained from my understanding and were from FSC/Mediaplas (UK).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman wrote:
I bought a new unopened Foundation 1 that had both discs with silver background and white background, in which everything with a silver background were from original releases (Charlotte, N.C.), the white background were re-releases for replacing songs that licensing couldn't be obtained from my understanding and were from FSC/Mediaplas (UK).

Thanks Lonman

I also bought a used Foundation 1 off ebay but it wasn't just the rereleases most weren't. I listed below by disc with what was on what. Just was curious if they were fake. By the way what is the difference from S and SR?

Silver background 7501, 7504, 7509, 7510, 7522, 7524, 7525, 7527,
White background 7502, 7503SR, 7508, 7517, 7521,7523, 7526, 7528,
Colored background (Single Disc Series) 7505SR, 7506S, 7507S, 7511S, 7512S, 7513S, 7514S, 7515S, 7516S, 7518S, 7519S, 7520S, 7529S, 7530S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
sanj wrote:
By the way what is the difference from S and SR?

R, S, RS, and SR were used at various times to denote re-releases of a disc when the song content changed, especially on the Foundations and Bricks. Occasionally a song would go out of licensing and we would have to replace it on that disc with another song. Sometimes that would happen more than once on the same disc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:36 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

R, S, RS, and SR were used at various times to denote re-releases of a disc when the song content changed, especially on the Foundations and Bricks. Occasionally a song would go out of licensing and we would have to replace it on that disc with another song. Sometimes that would happen more than once on the same disc.

Great!!! Thanks for the info Mr. Harrington. You'd be the best one to answer this.... I know Sound Choice sold the Silver background and the Sound Choice Single Disc Series together for the Foundation 1 but did they ever mix all 3 types; white background, silver background and Single Disc series in the 30 Disc Foundation 1 collection?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
sanj wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Great!!! Thanks for the info Mr. Harrington. You'd be the best one to answer this.... I know Sound Choice sold the Silver background and the Sound Choice Single Disc Series together for the Foundation 1 but did they ever mix all 3 types; white background, silver background and Single Disc series in the 30 Disc Foundation 1 collection?

It's entirely possible that such a mixture could have occurred. Even though they were sold as a set, the Foundation consisted of individual discs, so if a disc had to be replaced because of licensing issues, it wouldn't necessarily affect the rest of the set.

Another possibility is that one or more discs might have been replaced with a different type under our replacement policy for damaged discs, resulting in a used set that had discs of multiple types in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
mightywiz wrote:
it doesn't matter!

you bought them "In Good Faith", if you have a receipt for the purchase then whomever sold them to you is liable not you.

Define "liable". I do not think this is entirely true, especially if you are facing a PEP audit. Counterfeit media, even with a verifiable chain of purchase from a reputable dealer, will not stand as permitted by PEP at an audit, and you will be expected to remove those songs from your library for either certification or other legal reasons. Been there, done that. I have a reciept from a legit wholesaler who burned me with counterfeit material. and I had to remove it all to be "compliant". My only recourse is to go after the wholesaler, who is no longer operating. Even if they were operating, they will not be standing next to you at an audit. Just an FYI.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) What are the chances of getting audited? The reality is after over 7 years of SC aka PEP's legal baloney only less than 2% of the legal hosts have had any problems with audits or anything else. I myself went through 20 years of hosting with no legal challenges. That means over 98% of the hosts out here have never had a legal problem. That is rather shocking since according to Jim about 95% of hosts are illegal. I would say it is pretty close to 100% of the hosts might have some tracks in their library that aren't kosher, but since they paid for the materials they really aren't going to sweat it. Just my view of things of course.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:09 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
RE the 8125 discs: I contacted PEP and they confirmed that SC NEVER re-released the 8125, nor did they authorize Media Plas or anyone else to release it, so it is for sure bogus.

RE Audits: Dont want to start whipping a dead horse, but audits are still happening as venues are being contacted. It is easier for a legit host to do a voluntary audit to assure PEP compliance, to insulate a venue from litigation. Yes, there are areas where that is now moot, and yes, the arguments go on and on ad nauseum about whether or not to audit or not, but, the option is still there, and they are still auditing actively.

When the guy who writes your paycheck is holding a letter from PEP asking what to do, and you want to keep getting paychecks, auditing is one of the paths you take.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Harryoke wrote:
mightywiz wrote:
it doesn't matter!

Define "liable". I do not think this is entirely true, especially if you are facing a PEP audit. Counterfeit media, even with a verifiable chain of purchase from a reputable dealer, will not stand as permitted by PEP at an audit, and you will be expected to remove those songs from your library for either certification or other legal reasons. Been there, done that. I have a receipt from a legit wholesaler who burned me with counterfeit material. and I had to remove it all to be "compliant". My only recourse is to go after the wholesaler, who is no longer operating. Even if they were operating, they will not be standing next to you at an audit. Just an FYI.

So you're saying PEP is a legal authority now?
They somehow seem to know your purchased media (With receipts) is counterfeit? Wow, I never knew they were that good..
I heard they (SC) were sued for counterfeit production.
Kettle, meet pot..