KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - MTU and PCDJ...got them both, let's see what I like better! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Just purchased MTU Hoster to compliment, and possibly take over the PCDJ Karaoki(that I've had a couple of years,now), but not yet!
PCDJ Karaoki gives me fits with random crashing or the volume sticking off when starting some crappy .mp4 Karaoke songs. They have a new codec pack that seems to help. Their graphics and screen set up is really nice, and I've gotten used to it over 2 years.
The reason I also purchased Hoster, is that Bryan said it would work without having to dump PCDJ, and he's right, both work on the same computer! I haven't had the chance to put Hoster through it's paces, yet, but it seems to be a little more complicated to set up and to pick songs.(Loading my song library took forever! A couple hours, whereas PCDJ takes about 2-5 min at the most.... I'm sure that's just me being used to the other software. But if it is more stable than PCDJ, I will be happy...

I think the graphics and some of the features aren't quite as polished, but again, I'm not used to it. From what I see on this forum everyone seems to love the software and the customer service seems great...and the price is decent in the U.S. Canada...not so much, but I got it on sale ,so it's all good!

*Edit...sorry I was trying to post in the software section, feel free to move it, if you like.

Mark

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I've been using Hoster since 2008, tried (and keep up with all the rest including PCDJ), wouldn't use anything else.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:22 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
mote request server also included in the software along with the Remote songbook app.
the key feature I enjoyed most when testing the software was the Background music section.

Both products are awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman wrote:
I've been using Hoster since 2008, tried (and keep up with all the rest including PCDJ), wouldn't use anything else.

You have now way of knowing this, but you are probably the biggest reason I bought the second software(Hoster) as I do a lot of reading,studying and researching, and appreciate those like yourself, who obviously have a ton of experience and success in this business. Now, once I get comfortable and learn the potential of Hoster, I hope to share the same opinion....
Truth be known, if it wasn't for the super-annoying freezing and .mp4 glitching, I never would have went looking for something else. ( Those are 2 things that would have horrified me if I was a pro doing a paid show). In all fairness to PCDJ, they have just recently come out with their own codec pack, that may have solved the problems attributed to my crappy .mp4 files...so far, so good,but it will take some time to get my trust back....
This is Hoster's chance to shine! LOL!

Mark

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Hopefully you can get a quick feel for it. It's fairly simple to get going, importing can be a little tricky at first but feel free to email/PM me for help. Their forums are pretty quick to respond as well if the customer service doesn't right away - which is fairly rare they don't respond within 24 hours. One user on there is very fluent and has made video tutorials (Roy Dennis is who'd you'd look for).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman wrote:
Hopefully you can get a quick feel for it. It's fairly simple to get going, importing can be a little tricky at first but feel free to email/PM me for help. Their forums are pretty quick to respond as well if the customer service doesn't right away - which is fairly rare they don't respond within 24 hours. One user on there is very fluent and has made video tutorials (Roy Dennis is who'd you'd look for).

Right on, thanks for the help!

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:21 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

It's easy enough I even allow SOME singers to come up to scroll through their song history & they can click on the song they want and add it to the rotation without any kind of training other than the simple tell them to click this & this. I know most other kj's would frown on this lol, but it's that easy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 25 times
Let us know if you have any problems, or questions for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

bry21317 wrote:
Let us know if you have any problems, or questions for sure!

Thanks, I can hardly wait to give it a spin! Possibly this weekend!

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman wrote:
It's easy enough I even allow SOME singers to come up to scroll through their song history & they can click on the song they want and add it to the rotation without any kind of training other than the simple tell them to click this & this. I know most other kj's would frown on this lol, but it's that easy!

That sounds like a plan...I was doing a similar thing with my family and friends on my other system, and they all figured it out...and it saved me from hanging over the computer all night!

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
I tried all of the programs that I could find last year and ended up choosing Hoster. The key features I like: Singers names on the screen, background music player, time estimates for the upcoming singers, and singer history. I can't stand having silence at my show - the background music player keeps the place lively while you're waiting on the next singer to come to the stage.

One night, a singer was flapping their arms around and yanked the cord on my external hard drive (rest assured, that's not going to happen again). Hoster locked up since the active file and the entire library disappeared. Can't blame Hoster for that. The good news, when I reconnected the drive and relaunched hoster, it picked up right where I left off. No loss of the singers queue. Very impressed with this level of crash recovery.

For me, one of the biggest down sides to hoster is song importing. It is extremely slow. However, there is good reason for this. I have found that Hoster actually unzips and error checks the karaoke files. This is slow but it's a very good thing to do. Other programs just log the file names and assume the files are good and when you need them, they won't play. Originally, I had dozens of files that Hoster would not import. Some of those files were corrupted which you can verify by manually extracting using winzip or 7zip. Some files had naming issues so I just renamed them for consistency. Renaming isn't a big deal but corrupted zip files or corrupted mp3 files need to be fixed. I like that Hoster weeds these out so they don't pop up in the middle of a show.

With other programs, when you have new songs you can just delete your entire database and re-import the whole thing in 2-3 minutes. With Hoster, you import your files once, then you maintain the database. You can delete or rename individual songs. You import new songs and add them to the existing database.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

eak1999 wrote:
You import new songs and add them to the existing database.

Hoster automatically adds to the database as they are imported.