KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Getting Started Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Getting Started
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
And, also, Jim? Can you PM me the other "P" because I am going nuts trying to think of what it is you're saying. I just keep coming up with beer and pretzels, beer and pizza, and I know I'm going to feel like a big dumb dummy because I know the answer is obvious and will be terribly embarrassed for even asking.

No need for a PM. It's that body part that a certain former reality TV star-turned-politician talked that one time about grabbing women by.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
JimHarrington wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
And, also, Jim? Can you PM me the other "P" because I am going nuts trying to think of what it is you're saying. I just keep coming up with beer and pretzels, beer and pizza, and I know I'm going to feel like a big dumb dummy because I know the answer is obvious and will be terribly embarrassed for even asking.

No need for a PM. It's that body part that a certain former reality TV star-turned-politician talked that one time about grabbing women by.

@ No shame shame karaoke. :beermates: Me thinks you already know what the “P” stands for. You just want Jim ‘to say it out loud’. :lol:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Brian A wrote:
Me thinks you already know what the “P” stands for.
Just a friendly little cat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Yeah, my gut was going there, but I didn't see how a bar can pay in it. I mean, the B, sure. The P as payment sounds like different legal issues entirely.

Then again, I have seen places with, for lack of a better term, karaoke groupies, so maybe it's more perk than pay in that case.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
I couldn't agree more with Alan B. Whether he's paying for a streaming service or not, he implied that he was going to work for little or no pay. This is crazy!! If he wants to get some "seasoning" then he can invite people to his house and practice there for free.

What kind of message does this send to the venue owner with regards to karaoke? What about entertainment on the whole? It totally demeans the business. Go volunteer somewhere else. Bar and/or restaurants expect to pay a fee for all services related to their business. This includes entertainment.

Why would anyone make an investment to start a business and then offer their services for little or no money. You have no idea the damage you will do to others in your surrounding area who are looking for paying gigs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:03 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
He said the owner is a friend of his and wants to help him out. I know many kj's that have started out just this same way and have went on to charge regular rates at other shows. Not a big deal he wants to do this for little to no pay provided he is paying for his music - in which he may find he will need to charge his friend anyway if it starts being successful.
On that note - does his bar owner friend pay the PRO's (ASCAP/BMI/SESAC)? Can't do karaoke without those - legally.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
spotlightjr wrote:
I couldn't agree more with Alan B. Whether he's paying for a streaming service or not, he implied that he was going to work for little or no pay.

He didn't imply. He said it straight out that he would just work for beer and food.

spotlightjr wrote:
Bar and/or restaurants expect to pay a fee for all services related to their business. This includes entertainment.
Correction: Bars and/or Restaurants are looking to save money any way they can. Free Entertainment is a God-Send.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:

Rhymes with Wussy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
spotlightjr wrote:
I couldn't agree more with Alan B. Whether he's paying for a streaming service or not, he implied that he was going to work for little or no pay.

cueball wrote:
He didn't imply. He said it straight out that he would just work for beer and food.

Yes, he said and I quote: "... and we talked about me hosting a karaoke show once a week for beer and food. I'm ok with that, I have a good job, karaoke is just a hobby for me".
Now, he did not say for the first week only. He said once a week he would do it for beer and food. He also made it clear that he has a good job and karaoke is just a hobby so he may not care about the money or getting paid.
spotlightjr wrote:
Bar and/or restaurants expect to pay a fee for all services related to their business. This includes entertainment.
cueball wrote:
Correction: Bars and/or Restaurants are looking to save money any way they can. Free Entertainment is a God-Send.
Absolutely. This is why what he's doing is damaging to every respectable KJ and to the industry as a whole. So, it seems that this individual simply doesn't care who suffers the consequences or the damage this creates to the industry. An industry that, because of piracy, has seen the going rate of a karaoke show drop substantially. And now, offer to do it for free, which will drop that rate even more.

So, once again... enjoy your illegally acquired karaoke tracks and keep it at home. You are not a professional and are not acting like one. Enjoy your hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I'm not in any way supporting the OP using pirated tracks, but how many KJs on this forum make a living with just karaoke I mean without any other source of income at all? I'm guessing a high percentage do not. If I worked 7 nights a week doing karaoke I couldn't even make my house payment, much less support my family.

So unless you derive your entire income from karaoke, you're not a professional either. Doing something 2 or 3 nights a week is not a profession. If he pays for his content and the bar pays their pro fees, he can work for anything he wants to, or nothing if he wants to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

rickgood wrote:
I'm not in any way supporting the OP using pirated tracks, but how many KJs on this forum make a living with just karaoke I mean without any other source of income at all? I'm guessing a high percentage do not. If I worked 7 nights a week doing karaoke I couldn't even make my house payment, much less support my family.

So unless you derive your entire income from karaoke, you're not a professional either. Doing something 2 or 3 nights a week is not a profession. If he pays for his content and the bar pays their pro fees, he can work for anything he wants to, or nothing if he wants to do that.

So, if a doctor only saw patients 2 or 3 days a week, is he not a doctor? After all, according to you, that would not be his profession. I didn't know that you're not considered a professional unless you derive your entire income from it.

You talk a lot of garbage. You apparently have no clue what you're talking about. Just a lot of nonsense.

You post is mind boggling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A doctor has been to 6 years of college and then a one year residency you moron. What formal education did you receive to host a karaoke show? What documented requirements are needed for hosting a karaoke show? Being a talented entertainer does take practice, I agree, but get a grip, it's not a professional field.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i support a family of 7 and also help my two other hosts make some extra money to cover their "profession"...
i think that makes me a professional...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

rickgood wrote:
A doctor has been to 6 years of college and then a one year residency you moron. What formal education did you receive to host a karaoke show? What documented requirements are needed for hosting a karaoke show? Being a talented entertainer does take practice, I agree, but get a grip, it's not a professional field.

The way I see it is...
Let's say your a plumber who only works at it 3 days a week and has another source of income. It is still a profession. It doesn't matter whether you have another job or how many hours a week you work at it, it's still a profession and if you're getting paid for it, you're a professional.

I don't think you understand. Maybe you should have stayed in school.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You are right, I should have. Can't argue with that kind of logic.