KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Shocking Hosts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shocking Hosts
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Macclesfield, ENGLAND Why won't the USA let honest people in?
Been Liked: 13 times
I went to a bar last week that does Karaoke and had replaced the last host, who was useless, with a new girl. I'd been meaning to go for ages, to see if she was any good. Utterly useless. Luckilly, I met a mate who I'd not seen for years who's as daft as a brush and we had an awesome night sat at the back quietly taking the micky out of her. I haven't laughed so much in ages. Why was she bad? Put singers on in front of us, presumably regulars. We had songs in and they came to our table and filled out her slips after we had put songs in. She played loads of music whilst waving and juggling a bunch of slip in her hand. She kept disappearing off stage (loads of times), leaving music playing and no one singing. My mate left at 10.30 giving up. I hung on waiting for my second song, I'd been in since 8pm. At 11pm she announced that no more songs could be put in as she had enough for the rest of the night (last hour). Unbelievable!! 11.10pm I got to sing my second song then left. So poor. The pervy 70 year old owner was all over her like a rash. Oh and he got to sing 3 songs without completing slips and jumping the queue.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Shocking Hosts
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
and lots of people were there too werent there?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

And what's your point?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:28 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
In was hoping for a loose wire in the mic.. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

8) I think what Paradigm is getting at is the fact that some really bad shows have lots of people, where other shows run properly have no attendance. It is frustrating to hosts that work hard at their craft and try to do everything right to still fail. Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this business, it is all up to the God of Karaoke and luck. In the long run I have always felt that hard work and good business basics can overcome most problems. Still there are the lucky few hosts that get into a venue where they can be below average and still rake in the big bucks and pack the house. Sometimes there really seems to be no justice in the karaoke jungle.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
and lots of people were there too weren't there?

And what's your point?

8) I think what Paradigm is getting at is the fact that some really bad shows have lots of people, where other shows run properly have no attendance.

I have witnessed this MANY TIMES over the years.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
cueball wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
and lots of people were there too weren't there?

And what's your point?

8) I think what Paradigm is getting at is the fact that some really bad shows have lots of people, where other shows run properly have no attendance.

I have witnessed this MANY TIMES over the years.

you are both right, and that was my point.
why bother? why try to be better? why not just go for lowest common denominator?
get the garbage that KNF touts as the best thing since sliced f'ing bread and be done with it for $800?
i don't know the answer.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
you are both right, and that was my point.
why bother? why try to be better? why not just go for lowest common denominator?
get the garbage that KNF touts as the best thing since sliced f'ing bread and be done with it for $800?
i don't know the answer.

8) I'm not saying take the low road, but sometimes things that hosts feel are important are not really that important to the crowds. Most karaoke singers are not really that sophisticated as far as equipment, and I have seen some rather cheap fly by the seat of pants operations packing a venue. Energy has a lot to do with a shows success or failure. If you are the type of host that can energize a crowd that makes a big difference. Also having the full support of the venue, the owner, manager and staff can help with the energy level of your show. One thing is for sure it is a perfect storm that makes a successful karaoke show. If everything comes together the main thing is to be ready to ride that perfect wave. That means you have done all your homework and you are ready as a host to give it your best shot. At least if you go out and do your best, what else can you do?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:35 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
crazyface wrote:
I went to a bar last week that does Karaoke and had replaced the last host, who was useless, with a new girl. I'd been meaning to go for ages, to see if she was any good. Utterly useless. Luckilly, I met a mate who I'd not seen for years who's as daft as a brush and we had an awesome night sat at the back quietly taking the micky out of her. I haven't laughed so much in ages. Why was she bad? Put singers on in front of us, presumably regulars. We had songs in and they came to our table and filled out her slips after we had put songs in. She played loads of music whilst waving and juggling a bunch of slip in her hand. She kept disappearing off stage (loads of times), leaving music playing and no one singing. My mate left at 10.30 giving up. I hung on waiting for my second song, I'd been in since 8pm. At 11pm she announced that no more songs could be put in as she had enough for the rest of the night (last hour). Unbelievable!! 11.10pm I got to sing my second song then left. So poor. The pervy 70 year old owner was all over her like a rash. Oh and he got to sing 3 songs without completing slips and jumping the queue.

When I first started doing karaoke gigs in mid 90s things were a lot better, but the aforementioned issues have decreased the amount of people participating or going to listen at these shows. However, the worse crime of all is very poor music, mixing, either the KJ does know what he/ or she is doing, or they refuse to listen and perform proper mixing. Ultimately good singers will not sing on poor equipment or mixing. The other thing are KJ's that don't either sing or are poor singers leads to some of the aforementioned, makes ya kind of wonder, why are they doing karaoke to begin with. :(