KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - 2017 Tony Awards ( Broadway ) and Karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
They just announced this morning the nominations for 2017 Best Musical

Come From Away
Dear Evan Hansan
Groundhog Day The Musical
Natasha,Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

What is even more exciting is that Karaoke Version will be releasing several songs from ..DEAR EVAN HANSEN......I cant Wait

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
You do realize that you are the ONLY person on this Forum who keeps requesting this type of music to be made for karaoke, right? I'm happy for you that they are making songs that you and your following like to sing but I have a hard time thinking that they are making any kind of profit from this particular genre of music. Pocket Songs used to be the leader in this particular genre and they are no longer in existence.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
You do realize that you are the ONLY person on this Forum who keeps requesting this type of music to be made for karaoke, right? I'm happy for you that they are making songs that you and your following like to sing but I have a hard time thinking that they are making any kind of profit from this particular genre of music. Pocket Songs used to be the leader in this particular genre and they are no longer in existence.

I am not as vocal as GeminiMALE40, but my singers always drool over Broadway stuff... Right now, Hamilton is a big thing, so is Hedwig And The Angry Inch, and Rent is usually sung once or twice or week.

Trust me, there is more then enough money to be made in karaoke musicals.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

I am not as vocal as GeminiMALE40, but my singers always drool over Broadway stuff... Right now, Hamilton is a big thing, so is Hedwig And The Angry Inch, and Rent is usually sung once or twice or week.

Trust me, there is more then enough money to be made in karaoke musicals.
I live in a very artsy city with a huge number of professional and community theaters per thousand people. I met my wife through the theater world, and we did several shows together. My wife is still involved in theater and is a playwright herself.

Based on these facts you would think that show tunes would be quite popular..... but they are not. I think the number one reason for not being popular is that show tunes don't exactly create a fun atmosphere, and my job is to keep it fun.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I have still yet to have 1 request for any Hamilton (or any other Broadway show for that matter) - I do get the VERY rarely done Music Of The Night from Phantom.
Like mrmarog our area is very active in local production shows/theater but no one coming in with interest to sing/perform it at our shows. I will not buy it on the hopes someone will see it, but if they ask I would. I get hundreds of requests a year, but no Broadway/Showtune requests.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Out here, a lot of people request stuff from HAMILTON, which seems to be the most recent show to catch fire.

A lot of folks still do some of the other "newer" musicals: RENT, AVENUE Q, etc.

Our karaoke is all weird around here, though, so mileage obviously varies. Nobody cares what's sung, there's no defining genre or tempo or anything at most places.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Broadway Musicals are a harder genre to perform..most so songs..pop ,,country..ect..may have one or two or or three tempo and or key changes..Broadway Musicals can have up to 12 or more. and most singers just don't have the talent to pull this genre off ...
Broadway Musical can be very entertaining...but they are more of a performance song..case and point...Summer Nights.....everyone and their dog will try Summer Nights 80% sound aweful but they try.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
I have still yet to have 1 request for any Hamilton (or any other Broadway show for that matter) - I do get the VERY rarely done Music Of The Night from Phantom.
Like mrmarog our area is very active in local production shows/theater but no one coming in with interest to sing/perform it at our shows. I will not buy it on the hopes someone will see it, but if they ask I would. I get hundreds of requests a year, but no Broadway/Showtune requests.

It has been my experience that a lot of people will look though a book to see what you have. if they don't see it..they move on ..they may not make a request do to the fact they might not know it out. Case and Point ..once I announced Hamilton was coming out..I starting getting request for it...but it wasn't until I made it known that it got any attention.
I also think that alot of KJs just don't like that genre so therefore ...why try...there is a lot more to the musical world then Radio and classic hits...
Here is an idea..put a flyer in your book about Hamilton... logo on it ..and give it two or three months..I think you might be surprised of the response but again you don't like the genre so why encourage people to request stuff you don't like yourself....Yes I know "Ill get it if its requested".....give them a reason to...let them know its OUT!!
I also send out flyers to the theaters and High School Drama Depts..ect..letting them know about the Broadway stuff I have and /or getting...this has also help in drawing people to my show for this genre.
My Posters for my show for this month are bordered with Broadway show logos..again a way to draw these types of singers in

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think that the average karaoke enthusiast enjoys a karaoke show more if he or she recognizes the songs that are being sung so they can sing along in their head. If you have a show where Broadway Show Tunes are sung frequently; then maybe your crowd will enjoy hearing people sing Show Tunes. In my experience; Show Tunes are usually when the majority of people take a cigarette break for 6 minutes. I've seen people do a great job with Suddenly Seymore on occasion but most show tunes go over like a lead balloon. Songs from Wicked were getting sung around here for a while but that has died off. Let's face it. Broadway is not the draw that popular music or Country music is. Even the most popular Broadway show theater only has about 1300 seats or so. There are other music productions that sell out Football stadiums with 80,000 seats per show. Elvis impersonators sell more tickets than most Broadway shows.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:40 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

GeminiMALE40 wrote:

It has been my experience that a lot of people will look though a book to see what you have. if they don't see it..they move on ..they may not make a request do to the fact they might not know it out. Case and Point ..once I announced Hamilton was coming out..I starting getting request for it...but it wasn't until I made it known that it got any attention.
I also think that alot of KJs just don't like that genre so therefore ...why try...there is a lot more to the musical world then Radio and classic hits...
Here is an idea..put a flyer in your book about Hamilton... logo on it ..and give it two or three months..I think you might be surprised of the response but again you don't like the genre so why encourage people to request stuff you don't like yourself....Yes I know "Ill get it if its requested".....give them a reason to...let them know its OUT!!
I also send out flyers to the theaters and High School Drama Depts..ect..letting them know about the Broadway stuff I have and /or getting...this has also help in drawing people to my show for this genre.
My Posters for my show for this month are bordered with Broadway show logos..again a way to draw these types of singers in
And yet you still don't have any kind of online songlist lmao This is a great way to advertise cheaply as well plus let singers know what you have.

Trust me, our crowds know they can ask for anything and i'll try to get it - plus the fact there is a big page in the book stating "don't see it in the book, ask the KJ if we can get it for you". Been buying song requests since 94 - I believe I have a little insight on how crowds work as far as looking through the book and seeing or not seeing their song. And usually it's the opposite with the statement "I didn't see it in the book, but would you by chance have......". If they wanted it, they would've asked for it.
And no i'm not going to put fliers in my books to promote ANY specific genre, band, artist, etc. whether I like it or not. If they want it, they will ask for it - it's just that simple, again I said I get hundreds of requests a year, none of which are broadway/showtunes.
Also interesting, your shows must be all ages if you are targeting high schools. Wouldn't work for me to advertise to high schools, they couldn't come in the bar to sing them - must be 21.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Oh just for those who are interested KV just release 2 more "Hamilton" songs ..I got them this morning

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Right on, hope someone asks me for them so I can get them lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Anyone under 18 is allow in the bar till 10 ..so yes they get a chance to sing as well

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I love it when people say that Broadway Show Tunes don't get sung very often because they are too difficult to sing. People don't sing Show Tunes because they don't listen to show tunes. I want to hear people sing songs that I am familiar with. That is what makes karaoke fun for me. If someone sings a song that I've never heard before; I have two options. I will either like the song or I won't. If I like the song, I might go online and buy it so I can sing it myself at some other venue or I will just not like the song and won't care if I ever hear it again. Show tunes usually fall into the latter category for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonnie uses software that keeps track of what songs are sung at his shows. I wonder how many Broadway Show Tunes get sung at his venue on a yearly basis? My guess would be a very low number.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:00 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
I think that the average karaoke enthusiast enjoys a karaoke show more if he or she recognizes the songs that are being sung so they can sing along in their head. If you have a show where Broadway Show Tunes are sung frequently; then maybe your crowd will enjoy hearing people sing Show Tunes. In my experience; Show Tunes are usually when the majority of people take a cigarette break for 6 minutes. I've seen people do a great job with Suddenly Seymore on occasion but most show tunes go over like a lead balloon. Songs from Wicked were getting sung around here for a while but that has died off. Let's face it. Broadway is not the draw that popular music or Country music is. Even the most popular Broadway show theater only has about 1300 seats or so. There are other music productions that sell out Football stadiums with 80,000 seats per show. Elvis impersonators sell more tickets than most Broadway shows.

By a statement like that ..you must not know anything about Broadway...Hamilton Tickets right now are $250-$300. and from the information from a friend in new yok there is a three month waiting list to see this show still....and tickets are hard to get...more people will be able to see this show ..due to the fact it will be going on tour soon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

As far as a online song list no I don't have and will not have one..If people are interested in knowing what I have they are more then welcome to come to my show.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
I guess its very much "Your mileage may vary".

As I have a large selection of musicals on karaoke, we get more singers for it. Those singers of course, tend to be more receptive towards musicals being sung at karaoke.

The crowd (thankfully) is also diverse enough that our karaoke nights don't turn into a bad version of an off Broadway production.

On the flip side: I have a large selection of country songs as well, but those get hardly any play at all. I hear more musicals then I do country, go figure.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paul McCartney tickets sell for even more than Hamilton tickets and he's been filling stadiums since the 1960's. Billy Joel sells out Madison Square Garden every month and he's been doing it for decades. Hamilton will never generate the kind of money that even Taylor Swift generates in a year.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:15 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
I guess its very much "Your mileage may vary".

As I have a large selection of musicals on karaoke, we get more singers for it. Those singers of course, tend to be more receptive towards musicals being sung at karaoke.

The crowd (thankfully) is also diverse enough that our karaoke nights don't turn into a bad version of an off Broadway production.

On the flip side: I have a large selection of country songs as well, but those get hardly any play at all. I hear more musicals then I do country, go figure.

good to hear