KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - No Slow Songs after 10PM Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I like the cut off time for a song after midnight. And since I usually still have many singers at that time, I'm going to announce and enforce no song longer than 4:30 after midnight. I'm also going to flag all those 9 minute songs like the ones listed above. That's like taking up two turns.

As far as ballads and slow depressing songs go... I hate it! I try to run an upbeat show. There's nothing worse when for the last 5 singers, everyone's up on the dance floor only to have it come crashing down when the next singer comes up to sing a depressing ballad. I allow it but I do try to discourage it. We want to maintain a fun party atmosphere.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
BTW I have zero problems filling the venue..... ever.

by the look of your pictures you have a different group than the normal karoake singers. tose pictures (nice full bar which is awesome)show your average age is around 65-70. this type of crowd is perfect for this type of library, but in a normal bar i think it would be a generally different story.

Last night was my last show of the season, and it was jam packed again. My crowd age is 40 to 80. One of the nice things about this venue is that there is another full bar up the hall about 50 feet away. People can use that as an overflow room if needed. The front bar has a British Pub feel.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:17 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
I'm also going to flag all those 9 minute songs like the ones listed above. That's like taking up two turns.
You going to give those that pick a couple say 2:30 minute songs a double shot since that is like barely a turn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
Karaoke singers should treat each other like 8 people sharing a pizza. Everyone should get a slice and and share fairly....but there will always be someone who tries to get an extra slice without caring one little bit that someone else will go hungry. Some people just suck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Last week I sent an email to a very talented singer that wanted to sing a specific version of a song and this was my reply:

"Good Morning Arlene,

The reason I don't have any other versions of New York State of Mind is because ALL other versions are around 6 minutes or more in length. My rule, as you know, is no songs over 5 minutes. Last Wednesday I had 37 singers and several sang songs close to 5 minutes long. If everyone sang a 5 minute long song I would only get 11 or 12 singers through per hour (providing they didn't saunter their way up to the stage). With that scenario it would have taken nearly 3 1/2 hours to get through one rotation.

If I had started at 7PM and quit at 10PM, I wouldn't have finished the first round, and several wouldn't have sung at all. Now if I allow even longer songs, the time before your next song grows even longer. So if you want to sing more times, per night, sing shorter songs and convince others to do the same.... it is that simple."

I have not seen her since. Sometimes facts hurt. The other facts are that I started my show 47 minutes early, sang only the 1st song, and quit late (30 minutes over).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
that may be more how you said and less what you said
"So if you want to sing more times, per night, sing shorter songs and convince others to do the same.... it is that simple."
sounds rather condescending when put that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

some singers go out of their way to pick longer songs as their way of beating the system at a very busy show. Their mind set is if they are only going to sing one song; they are going to sing the longest song they can think of. Instead of bragging about getting 3 songs in they talk about having sung for 8 minutes because they got to sing American Pie. These are usually the same people who work the room trying to get people who normally don't even sing to put up a "duet" and the hustler of course offers to help them with their "duet". When you take away the "Loop holes" from these people; they run off to a show where they are allowed to get away with their shenanigans. Some people just aren't happy unless they are getting that extra slice of the pie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The longest version of New York State of Mind is just over 6 minutes long. The intro of the song is about a minute long and there is an 18 measure instrumental in the middle of the song. These two sections could easily be edited out and that would be enough to bring to song to well under your 5 minute rule. Removing the intro alone would get you down to 5 minutes. Just let "Arlene" know what to expect and she should be able to sing the edited version without too much trouble. The GLEE version of the song is under 4 minutes long and the duet version with Billy Joel and Tony Bennet(SC8761-15) is under 5 minutes long because the long intro has been taken out. There is also a Barbra Streisand version that is under 5 minutes long as well. If "Arlene" thinks that she is such a special talent that she should be able to sing whatever version she wants to sing with the full 60 second intro; then you don't really need her at your show.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you're interested, there is a custom made version of that song on youtube made just for Arlene. It's under 5 minutes long and she'll feel so special when the end credits roll. She can practice with the you tube version and then sing it at your show. Everybody's happy. I'm not allowed to leave links here so you'll have to do a search for it on youtube yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
If you're interested, there is a custom made version of that song on youtube made just for Arlene. It's under 5 minutes long and she'll feel so special when the end credits roll. She can practice with the you tube version and then sing it at your show. Everybody's happy. I'm not allowed to leave links here so you'll have to do a search for it on youtube yourself.

Thank you. I have CDG Fix and I could edit the music and graphic file for a workable solution. Unfortunately I am done with gigs until November.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Moved to another thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Last week I sent an email to a very talented singer that wanted to sing a specific version of a song and this was my reply:

"Good Morning Arlene,

The reason I don't have any other versions of New York State of Mind is because ALL other versions are around 6 minutes or more in length. My rule, as you know, is no songs over 5 minutes. Last Wednesday I had 37 singers and several sang songs close to 5 minutes long. If everyone sang a 5 minute long song I would only get 11 or 12 singers through per hour (providing they didn't saunter their way up to the stage). With that scenario it would have taken nearly 3 1/2 hours to get through one rotation.

If I had started at 7PM and quit at 10PM, I wouldn't have finished the first round, and several wouldn't have sung at all. Now if I allow even longer songs, the time before your next song grows even longer. So if you want to sing more times, per night, sing shorter songs and convince others to do the same.... it is that simple."

I have not seen her since. Sometimes facts hurt. The other facts are that I started my show 47 minutes early, sang only the 1st song, and quit late (30 minutes over).

Arlene showed up at my off-season host's show last night and requested the 6 plus minute New York State of Mind ( I am sure it was out of spite). The host played the song and faded it out at 5 minutes on the dot! She was a little taken back but she got over it.

Then immediately after Arlene was Nadia with Lyin Eyes which is 6 min 35 sec long. The song faded out after 5 minutes. Nadia too was told by me that the song was too long and I don't have it my my books or on my laptop.

The audience loved it what the host did and showed it in his tip jar.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mrmarog wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

"Good Morning Arlene,

Arlene showed up at my off-season host's show last night and requested the 6 plus minute New York State of Mind ( I am sure it was out of spite). The host played the song and faded it out at 5 minutes on the dot! She was a little taken back but she got over it.

Then immediately after Arlene was Nadia with Lyin Eyes which is 6 min 35 sec long. The song faded out after 5 minutes. Nadia too was told by me that the song was too long and I don't have it my my books or on my laptop.

The audience loved it what the host did and showed it in his tip jar.

I'm liking that 5 minute rule more and more every day. I would love to be in the crowd when someone got faded out because the song was too long. It would be like getting played off stage at the Oscars. LOL Instead of the music getting louder to drown out Meryl Streep, the music would just keep getting lower so you wouldn't have to deal with it at all. they should play a buzzer sound effect at the 5 minute mark too.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I have a KJ friend who is a great guy and has a huge following.

The wait at his shows gets crazy and he makes it even worse by occasionally asking somebody to sing two in a row.

On such occasions I find myself sorely tempted to put in the Canadian Railroad Trilogy to be followed by my wife singing "One borbon, one scotch, one beer" - the George Thorogood version.

I've never quite had the heart to do it just yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I have a guy who likes to sing the SBI version of Stormy Monday. It's the live, Allman Brothers version. Great track. It's over 8 minutes long. I have no problem with it, in the beginning of the night, when I only have a few singers. But once the rotation fills up, he knows not to even ask me to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:39 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
wow. never heard of a "no slow songs after 10 pm" rule.

in my area a rack of folks sing slow songs. uptempo and rap songs aren't done as much as slow songs. wish i had more folks rap. but i don't mind the slow songs because folks around here can sing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
mrmarog wrote:

"Good Morning Arlene,

Your email is perfect except for the last part; "it is that simple". Sounds a little condescending. I would have changed it to: "Thank you for your understanding".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
dude, your e-mail is fine as-is.

i've thought about it a bizillion times of sending a singer an e-mail. or thought about posting to them directly on facebook and decided against it because i'd be nowhere as nice or sound as even-tempered as you did. NOWHERE.

right now i got an e-mail in my inbox from a singer. been there for several days. and i'm fighting to reply to it, because i know i'll get carried away. she sent me a list of 4-songs i don't have that she wants to sing on karaoke and says when she sees me in a few days at the venue she hopes i have them so she can sing 'em.

i'm not gonna reply because i'll be mean. like, ma, gimme more time than that. gimme a month at least. sure, i can get the songs quickly, but if you wanna be a nice person, be like "hey no rush, take your time." gimme some space!

was gonna send an e-mail to this dude who thinks he can just drop by randomly on kjs and get to sing in 5 minutes because he thinks he has the best rendition of usher's "nice and slow" ever. he always does this. i don't put him on. noway you're not gonna wait like everyone else. and if i do skip all those folks for you, you're dipping out right after your song and won't stay to listen to anyone else. i thought about sending this dude a long post directly to him on facebook. but i know i won't be anywhere near as nice as your letter.

i keep thinking about all the kjs this fool keeps doing this to and thinking maybe i need to be the one to stop him. because i'm tired of him coming through mid-way through my show, come up to my personal space and BEG to be put on within 5 minutes and skip everybody. i'm thinking he must keep doing this because no KJ so far is sitting him down and explaining to him, dude, stop it, we're not putting you on and skipping everyone else just so you can sing your one song and then leave without buying or driniking anything or listening to any other singers.

sorry. stuff like this just gets to me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Gee if any of the venues that I used to do ever adopted that rule, I would have to ban myself from singing the entire night because I have trouble with keeping up with the lyrics of fast upbeat songs. I am much more comfortable with ballads.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I have (actually 'had') a singer who made it a habit of getting to the venue two-thirds of the way through the evening, and picking the longest songs in my book. To make matters worse, he would usually choose songs that would grate on the nerves of the majority of our patrons...

Initially it was a bit of a novelty, but it soon became an irritant to me and to our "regulars". The good-natured ribbing turned to not so good-natured cat-calls and open grumbling. The effect wasn't lost on him, but he let them roll off his back as if he couldn't care less.

The last time he walked through the door, about a six weeks ago, I called him aside and asked very politely that he stick to a shorter song since there were already over 35 in the rotation, and that I've been getting complaints. Otherwise, I'd have no option but to fade out his selections near the five minute mark.

Sure enough, he picked a lengthy song - can't remember which, perhaps "And Justice For All" - and as promised, I faded just as promised.

The audience applauded, not for his singing, but for the fade out. He glared at me and stormed out the door.

He hasn't been back.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]