KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice Website updated Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 639 times
cueball wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
More to this point, I have decided not to respond any further to Mr. Staley on any subject.

JimHarrington wrote:
Please read carefully. I am only not responding to Mr. Staley. He is not the only person who posts here.

Seeing (or rather not seeing) will be believing. Only time will tell.

Maybe I should start a poll to see how many days/hours/minutes/posts will pass before JH responds back to Chip again.

JimHarrington wrote:
I'm going to break my rule against reading or responding to Mr. Staley to interrupt his disinformation campaign. After this, back on mute.

Gee... you actually lasted almost a full month (Feb 21, 2017 was when you posted you would no longer respond to ANY of Chip's posts).

Sorry, but your "After this, back on mute." no longer counts or holds any water. You can't turn it on and off like a water faucet. You either choose to do it, or you don't. You chose the latter.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 1091 times
cueball wrote:
cueball wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
More to this point, I have decided not to respond any further to Mr. Staley on any subject.
JimHarrington wrote:
Please read carefully. I am only not responding to Mr. Staley. He is not the only person who posts here.
Seeing (or rather not seeing) will be believing. Only time will tell.

Maybe I should start a poll to see how many days/hours/minutes/posts will pass before JH responds back to Chip again.
JimHarrington wrote:
I'm going to break my rule against reading or responding to Mr. Staley to interrupt his disinformation campaign. After this, back on mute.
Gee... you actually lasted almost a full month (Feb 21, 2017 was when you posted you would no longer respond to ANY of Chip's posts).

Sorry, but your "After this, back on mute." no longer counts or holds any water. You can't turn it on and off like a water faucet. You either choose to do it, or you don't. You chose the latter.
This is a little like what a once famous person said about "drawing a red line" :lol:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 87 times
OMG! It's fantastic news to hear that the BEST KARAOKE IN THE BUSINESS is back.

Quote:
For more than 30 years, Sound Choice® has provided the soundtrack for American karaoke entertainment. Now, America's Favorite Karaoke Brand is at the leading edge of a revolution in mobile entertainment.

I'm currently browsing their new (Updated) website http://soundchoice.com/ and I'm loving it.

Welcome back!

while browsing the Sound Choice website, I came across one of the Offers:

Quote:
Free Music Offer
Are you a mobile DJ who's looking to add karaoke as an option for your clients? It can be hard to justify making a major investment in quality karaoke music when you don't know if you can get the gigs. We might have a better way.

If you qualify, we can provide you with the music needed to run a high-quality karaoke show: The 6,000+ track Sound Choice® GEM series, plus access to select other titles from our enormous library. There's no up-front charge—just a per-show booking fee that depends on the market and the frequency of use— plus a promise to provide a brief write-up and a couple of photos from each show.

On top of that, you get access to our marketing and research tools, as well as featured listings on our various show sites.

Ready to get started? Just call (210) 305-4929 or email CustomerCare@SoundChoice.com.

I'd like to get signed up for this ASAP and if there is an affiliate program, SIGN ME UP!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
JimHarrington wrote:
KaraokeIan wrote:
Sound Choice is never going to make any money until they offer legal downloads. They can fight the KJs all they want and it's not going to yield the results they want. American karaoke producers will continue to suffer as long as none of them ever fight the real enemy, the Music publishers. I will continue to purchase my tracks from their European counterparts and gladly do so until Sound Choice is either out of business or grows a pair. I guarantee one of the two WILL happen. It's inevitable. Most likely the first scenario, because if they haven't figured out the problem yet, I don't see them suddenly waking up one day and finally getting it. Sound Choice is like the people who still support Trump. If they don't get it yet, they're not going to. They'll continue to fail, yet claim that it's working. I feel sorry for the investors who are keeping them afloat. They're going to lose a lot of money the hard way, but then again, they were gullible enough to believe that KJs would do anything that's more difficult than what's EASILY available elsewhere. When you're that level of stupid, you kind of deserve to be robbed blind.

We don't view music publishers as the enemy. Far from it, in fact. While we wish they would have better business practices as a whole, it's completely reasonable for publishers to profit from karaoke.

and therein lies your perception problem. Evidently you don't see the deals that your competitors outside of this country are receiving. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that you're getting the worst deals on the planet here in the U.S. If the publishers were giving the same deals in this country, by my math, there would be room for multiple download sites that could all be extremely profitable. Are you saying that known sites in the UK and France that are extremely successful are getting the same deal you are? If that's the case, explain your failure. If the publishers aren't the problem, then who is?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
and therein lies your perception problem. Evidently you don't see the deals that your competitors outside of this country are receiving. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that you're getting the worst deals on the planet here in the U.S. If the publishers were giving the same deals in this country, by my math, there would be room for multiple download sites that could all be extremely profitable. Are you saying that known sites in the UK and France that are extremely successful are getting the same deal you are? If that's the case, explain your failure. If the publishers aren't the problem, then who is?

Well if Zoom is anything to go by... Sony/ATV and EMI withdrew their licensing in regards to their downloadable product, even though you couldn't download it in the states.

Other sites right now are as-is as far as I can tell.

Their could be a host of reasons as to why Sony/EMI pulled their catalogs from Zoom, but one thing for sure... PEP isn't now the only one with production issues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 979 times
KaraokeIan wrote:

The cost of royalties in the US is not, per se, the obstacle to profitability. We believe that Recisio gets a sweetheart deal from their local (French) agency that allows them to sell downloads into the US, but we're talking about--at most--pennies per download. Digitrax and Partytyme/KSF have local (US) licensing, as far as we know.

Whether the royalty to a publisher is 3 cents or 45 cents just isn't that much of a factor. Advances are a bigger problem, but those have come down considerably in recent years. The major problem with licensing, for us, is the patchwork of publishers--many times with multiple publishers needing to clear a single song--that requires a huge number of person-hours to manage. Licensing is associated with a great deal of inertia. When you have an ongoing licensing operation, it doesn't take much to keep it going. But when you are starting from scratch, as we are, it takes a lot of time and effort to get to the point of being to make even one song.

The thing that's present in the UK and France, and absent in the US and Canada, is a central music licensing authority. If you're a UK producer, you can go to PRS for Music and get the rights you need from a single source at largely fixed rates. You can't do that here.

I suppose you could say that by not forming such an authority, the music publishers are to blame for the difficulties that arise from that. But I can hardly fault them for not doing it.

3. If you have questions you'd like answered officially, you are welcome to email me at jim@phxep.com or send me a private message here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

cueball wrote:

It's a general rule I have. It is not, however, a suicide pact. He's made clear that he will tell any lie he likes to try to cause us damage. When appropriate, I have to step in and correct the record. I will no longer argue with him.

3. If you have questions you'd like answered officially, you are welcome to email me at jim@phxep.com or send me a private message here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

bazinga wrote:
How many karaoke music will be made available to the KJ and is the music already converted to Mp3+G or must the KJ convert it? One last question, what is the percentage that SCE is looking to collect from the KJ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

We have amassed a huge library of karaoke tracks from many different producers. We are working on determining exactly what content we can make available as part of the program. The GEM series will, of course, be the cornerstone of the program, but there's quite a bit more available.

The rate will depend on a lot of different factors, so I can't give a specific rate at this point.

The factors include:
  • How much music is being provided
  • Whether we or the KJ booked the show
  • How many shows the KJ is running (more shows = lower per-show rate)
  • Whether we are also supplying other equipment (sound, computing, etc.)
  • Whether the KJ is tying in to our marketing/promotional apparatus
  • What rate the KJ is getting for the show
  • The market for and demand for this program in the area where the KJ is operating

Ultimately, it will be a negotiated rate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

mrmarog wrote:
It will probably be under the same terms as "Obamacare" ..... you will have to sign before you can read it :lol:

Nope, our program will be 100% transparent to the KJ, with simple contract terms laid out before anybody agrees to anything. It will be easy for the KJ to leave the program if he or she wants, without consequences (other than having to return the music, of course).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
It seems that, based on the general positions of posters here, that it would, at the least, be preferred to be referred to as "affiliated with", as opposed to "affiliates" of...

I think that's a matter of semantics. Like it or not, having a license from Phoenix makes a KJ an affiliate of Phoenix and, because of the relationship between Phoenix and SCE, an affiliate of SCE.

doowhatchulike wrote:
As I try to become more familiar with the usage of the term AFFILIATE in business relations, I continue to see words like "subcontractors", "parties with interest", and "subsidiary", all of which are akin to franchisee relationships, and most of which appear to be terms that most in these forums do not want in their PEP dealings...

Those terms can describe various kinds of affiliation, but they are not the only kinds.

doowhatchulike wrote:
Oh, and not to mention the continuously baffling use of the term "free" in ANY basic agreement in which the provider has any intention other than to have a 0% intake of revenue. Using that term as an enticement is dishonest, at best, since the reality in a situation where revenue is realized, the value of the "free" item is figured into any cost put upon the purchaser--unless, again, there is no intent on receiving any income for any part of the business transaction, to which end there is no indication in this case...

I think that virtually everyone can recognize that the term "free music" refers to the cost of acquiring access to the music--which is actually free under this program. The cost comes with the commercial use of that music. This is a pay-as-you-go arrangement, rather than a pay-up-front arrangement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
JimHarrington wrote:

Whether the royalty to a publisher is 3 cents or 45 cents just isn't that much of a factor. Advances are a bigger problem, but those have come down considerably in recent years. The major problem with licensing, for us, is the patchwork of publishers--many times with multiple publishers needing to clear a single song--that requires a huge number of person-hours to manage. Licensing is associated with a great deal of inertia. When you have an ongoing licensing operation, it doesn't take much to keep it going. But when you are starting from scratch, as we are, it takes a lot of time and effort to get to the point of being to make even one song.

The thing that's present in the UK and France, and absent in the US and Canada, is a central music licensing authority. If you're a UK producer, you can go to PRS for Music and get the rights you need from a single source at largely fixed rates. You can't do that here.

I suppose you could say that by not forming such an authority, the music publishers are to blame for the difficulties that arise from that. But I can hardly fault them for not doing it.

8) I suppose Jim you could also say that the karaoke labels by not forming such an authority are to blame for the difficulties that arise when hosts can't be universally licensed and covered by whomever obtains the rights to karaoke tracks. I have for years wanted a one stop licensing for karaoke hosts and have only been laughed at. Hosts and venues who want to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits have no recourse other than to get licensing from PEP/SCE and that only protects them from those two small companies from suing. Hosts and venues can also be sued by the publishers. This patchwork of entities as you point out is a confusing impossible maze that can't be navigated by the average layman. It is so difficult in fact most hosts just throw up the hands and end not caring about legal v.s. illegal. On a small scale your HELP licensing is the right idea but it needs to be expanded so that the host is covered universally and that all deserving interests can be paid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 331 times
JimHarrington wrote:
I was wondering how long it would take....
JimHarrington wrote:
I don't know how I can be more clear about this. PEP is not involved in this program.

Here is how it works:

1) KJ receives music package from SCE.

2) KJ pays SCE a fee for the use of the music and access to SCE's other tools. This fee is per show, based on the number of shows per month, whether we booked the show or not, the market where the show occurs, etc.

3) Any revenue arrangements between SCE and PEP are incidental.

And that is NOT what you explained before.... Which was that SCE and PEP are SEPARATE companies.... and then you went on to say, "the KJ pays US a booking fee" without defining who "us" was.... whether that was SCE or PEP when you clearly represent PEP.
JimHarrington wrote:
Nope. The operator is free to drop out of the arrangement at any time without penalty. They simply have to discontinue using and return our music.
So what you are really saying is "the gems aren't worth leasing anymore so we're going to give them away for a piece of the show."
JimHarrington wrote:
The KJ pays SCE, not PEP.
This is the first time you've clearly conveyed that.
JimHarrington wrote:
No show, or no revenue, no cost. If the KJ doesn't get paid, neither do we.
So now, it's a "completion fee?"
JimHarrington wrote:
It really must kill you that we're doing something to help people. sort of blunts your view that we're evil, huh?
Not at all... How much have you done to "help" the customer/KJ's (like Paradigm) that have been waiting for you to do anything?

Rather than help your own customers, you're busy out trying to get DJ's to become KJ's for a little slice of the pie? That's not "helping" anyone but yourselves and it's certainly not some magnanimous gesture as though you are a practically a benevolent society.

You are not Robin Hood.

"For all the back-and-forth I have with Mr. Staley, the thing about him is that he follows the law and our policies in his karaoke operations. We have no interest in putting him out of business, because he's not violating the law." -- HarringtonLaw (a.k.a: Jimmy "The Weasel" Harrington)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
JimHarrington wrote:
KaraokeIan wrote:

The cost of royalties in the US is not, per se, the obstacle to profitability. We believe that Recisio gets a sweetheart deal from their local (French) agency that allows them to sell downloads into the US, but we're talking about--at most--pennies per download. Digitrax and Partytyme/KSF have local (US) licensing, as far as we know.

See, they DO get a better deal, but your assessment is wrong. It's not the music publishers that formed that authority. It was the laws over there. The politicians created an even playing field, not the publishers. The music publishers have ZERO motivation to create a single, easy, licensing model. You guys need to lobby congress. You're NEVER going to get anywhere with the publishers to get you an even playing field. They ARE the enemy. They ARE the ones creating an uneven playing field because no law is forcing them to have one and they are going to milk this thing as long as they can, and as long as you guys sit on your a$$, they will continue to do so. That's the truth. Now start swallowing it and stop shoveling your BS stories down our throats because I'm not buying it and I never have. Do your job before Kurt figures out that you haven't been. Stop telling your clients that they HAVE to play by the publishers rules and have the balls to fight it like they did in Europe. By not fighting it, you get to bill for all kinds of hours in all these different negotiations. I get it. You're not motivated to do the RIGHT thing. It doesn't pay, does it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

c. staley wrote:

Rather than help your own customers, you're busy out trying to get DJ's to become KJ's for a little slice of the pie? That's not "helping" anyone but yourselves and it's certainly not some magnanimous gesture as though you are a practically a benevolent society.

In Harrington's defense, he DID say the program was open to all talent, not just DJ's.

He also listed one of the payment factors depends on how much music the talent would need from their catalog.

Without seeing the pricing breakdown, I can't say the program is better or worse yet. The other thing is that the pricing is starting to add up: PRIME membership, plus associated fees depending on the plan the talent would sign up for could take a big chunk of profit from the KJ or DJ. The flip side is the more they sign up for, the less they would need to start up their service.

But without knowing what they are charging for all the combines fees, I will hold my judgement on the program(s). Hopefully PEP as well as SCE will give prospective talent some clear direction and pricing prior to a full on sign up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 859 times
you are right, BUT....
the PRS For Music used to cover the U.S. and Canada, the publishers decided that they weanted more so forced the removal of these 2 countries from the agreements.
They are not pulling out of PRS For Music as far as karaoke goes, even going back in those who did pull out (no fly list is getting smaller) sothey ARE making money, and they ARE good with the money they are getting (they can opt out at any time if they feel it is not worth it) so it's just more greed on their end.
i don't have a problem with them getting paid, why i say greed is tey see that in the U.S. they have captive fish that they can gouge for whatever price they want...and will do so.
MCPS licensing was worldwide, they got paid the agreed upon rate and were happy. But suddenly someone realized they could exclude the U.S. and get more money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
JimHarrington wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:
It seems that, based on the general positions of posters here, that it would, at the least, be preferred to be referred to as "affiliated with", as opposed to "affiliates" of...

I think that's a matter of semantics. Like it or not, having a license from Phoenix makes a KJ an affiliate of Phoenix and, because of the relationship between Phoenix and SCE, an affiliate of SCE.

It may just be a matter of timing, but I am surprised that some PEP licensees on this forum haven't chimed in on this yet. I would have a hard time believing any of them that made a licensing agreement with you would ever agree to be affiliated with a company, off-shoot of PEP or not, that has even a remote possibility of becoming a competitor to them. I am sure that the bulk of the licensees at this point had established this contractual relationship before this competitive company was ever formed. If there is not a conflict of interest component to this, I do not suppose I have ever seen one...

I have read some things on here about not going into some markets for this reason or that, but I cannot imagine ANY licensee being happy with anything short of an ironclad guarantee that it would not happen. Being subject to as little as a whim for such a possibility should be unacceptable...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
The other thing is that the pricing is starting to add up: PRIME membership

PRIME is a Phoenix program. This is SCE.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 639 times
JimHarrington wrote:
The offer is open to anyone who's qualified, not just DJs. We're looking for talent of any type.

What would be the requirements to qualify?

JimHarrington wrote:
bazinga wrote:
How many karaoke music will be made available to the KJ and is the music already converted to Mp3+G or must the KJ convert it? One last question, what is the percentage that SCE is looking to collect from the KJ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

We have amassed a huge library of karaoke tracks from many different producers. We are working on determining exactly what content we can make available as part of the program. The GEM series will, of course, be the cornerstone of the program, but there's quite a bit more available.

The rate will depend on a lot of different factors, so I can't give a specific rate at this point.

The factors include:
  • How much music is being provided
  • Whether we or the KJ booked the show
  • How many shows the KJ is running (more shows = lower per-show rate)
  • Whether we are also supplying other equipment (sound, computing, etc.)
  • Whether the KJ is tying in to our marketing/promotional apparatus
  • What rate the KJ is getting for the show
  • The market for and demand for this program in the area where the KJ is operating

Ultimately, it will be a negotiated rate.

Please elaborate on these two items (from above).
1. What Marketing/Promotional apparatus are you referring to?
2. Regarding the Market and Demand for this program in the area where the KJ is operating... Are you referring to how many other DJs and/or KJs are asking to get in on this deal (of pay as you use), or are you referring to how saturated is the area for Karaoke (is this show the only show in the city, or are there 20 or 30 other shows within a 10 mile radius)?

Can you give us an example of how much a KJ might expect to pay for this? How about we use this?
A KJ is operating a single rig. He is just starting out and doesn't have a library built up yet, so he needs a full core library. He wants to use your GEM series (all 6000 tracks). He has his own system/equipment put together. The KJ booked the gig on his own. It is a 4 hour show, once a week, and he has negotiated a payment of $150 for the show. What would the KJ be expected to pay for the use of the GEM series based on that?

Another question... Would these payments be indefinite (sort of like renting a car, where you pay for each day of the rental (in this case, it would be for each show the set was being made available for use at)), or would the payments cease after the KJ has actually paid SCE enough money (over time), to the point where it has now equaled the amount of what it would have cost to purchase the GEM series license in the first place?

Last edited by cueball on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
What a cluster p#u@k of a business model (actually models with an 's') SCE/PEP
is creating. Googly moogly. They undoubtedly expect to start losing out in the suit business.

I have a CNS agreement with them, yet, I do not consider myself affiliated with them anymore than with any other manu. I pirate nothing and never will, so a CNS is irrelevant. I am legit in any and all dealings through life. It's just better for the psyche and karma. Their business reminds me of roaches scrambling to the dark when the lights go on and footsteps are felt in the room. It's scatter shooting.

Most DJs that I know simply turn records and know little to nothing of mixing VOX EFX. They are not mixing engineers. I know this much, I'll simply blow them away. I already get professional singers to my show and masses gravitate to the show because of it.

I do resent the fact that they now wish to compete against legit KJs and I have now acquired zero respect for them. They are floundering and probably will die from heart related stress over what this pissant industry has become.

The publishers are positioning themselves to get paid via juke box and SCE/PEP are positioning themselves to offer to VENUES and DJ/KJs equipment and other tools. It may take 5 to 10 years, but it is coming. They will not ever offer any new music because of the publishers plans. Bank it. Publishers have already at their disposal all tracks for each and every song. Bank that, too.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney

I'm just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:59 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Toastedmuffin wrote:
The other thing is that the pricing is starting to add up: PRIME membership

PRIME is a Phoenix program. This is SCE.

Wasn't one of the benefits of PRIME platinum access to national bookings?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next