KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - anyone 'invented'/ reinventing something new via karaoke..? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
not what you're thinking

how do i word this correctly...

ok. so i know a girl who has been hosting trivia for 5 years. and everytime i visit her trivia night, she's doing something new and interesting with the trivia. i know, nothing's new under the sun, but she's doing something different or something unique with the trivia.

and it made me think. i've been working karaoke for years, have i done anything new or reinvented karaoke somehow?

probably easier to do with trivia night than karaoke night (inventing something different). and i don't mean new with karaoke as in making up a new theme night or switching from karaoke cds to digital files unless you're the first person.

i guess what i'm saying is anyone out there especially those who've been in the karaoke game a long time, have you pioneered in doing something different with karaoke.

i guess carpool karaoke or karaoke with a band are good examples of 'reinventing' karaoke so i'd like to hear any things folks out there have done or are working on, any 21st century stuff or ideas, if there are any....just curious

again, this all started when i saw my trivia friend redefining/reinventing trivia and it got me thinking to myself, what am i doing to reinvent/redefine karaoke?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
I had a 'Sing Like William Shatner Night" on an off night. It was pretty fun, and attracted people who don't usually do karaoke.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Product 19 wrote:
...this all started when i saw my trivia friend redefining/reinventing trivia...

I know it's not karaoke but since you brought it up, curious what things the trivia host is doing differently at trivia?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
Being innovative is good, being too gimmicky runs the risk of alienating your regulars. I do much more trivia than karaoke. Last Tuesday I had 151 players at my trivia show, at a show that usually averages just over 100 players a week. Been doing the exact same show for over two years so be careful about change for the sake of change. People like consistency and sometimes changing the least little thing can be disruptive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
CafeBar wrote:
I had a 'Sing Like William Shatner Night" on an off night. It was pretty fun, and attracted people who don't usually do karaoke.

Why.............................. oh why ................................. would you ....... do ................................. such a thing?

(Sorry, it's hard to put Shatnereze in print form) 8>)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
"Da Bump"

This gimmick requires that you have a public display of the rotation and some type of roulette wheel(digital will work but people are suckers for a real wheel).

Works best if you have more than 20 singers(reward is bigger), and have your scroller showing ALL singers in the rotation.

I call it "Da Bump"

At the top of the hour you call out that it's time for "Da Bump" *or see Spin 3 below

Get a neutral party to spin the roulette wheel(Physical or on screen)
Wheel lands on a winning number -
(zero, double zero, and all numbers greater than rotation length) = Dance song played next
- otherwise -
Scroll the rotation (current singer in rotation is assigned #1, then 2, 3,4......end of rotation)

Audience counts aloud with you as the scroller(Slow your scroller to milk the suspense) scrolls until the winning number is reached.

That winning singer gets to sing immediately without counting as his/her spot in the rotation.
You can also do multiple spins.
Spin 1) wins next singer status
Spin 2) wins a free drink
*Spin 3) Resets "Da Bump" place in the rotation - Enter "Da Bump" as the singer in the winning number's spot in the rotation. Next "Da Bump" will be when that singer is reached.

Variations - whatever you like.
spin 2 example - just before you do spin 2 for the free drink, poll the audience for "Black" or "Red" by show of hands. If the resulting spin matches the audience favorite, it's double the prize - 2 free drinks for the winner.

Just try to keep it simple, consistent, transparent, and above all - fair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) There is a market for a steady no nonsense approach to karaoke, believe it or not. After you have done a show for several years some say you run the risk of going stale? That might be true to some extent but if you have spent years building up a customer base on your style of karaoke then any changes have to be carefully thought out. Your canary in the mine is your attendance figures if you are producing and it is working, you don't need to change for changes sake. There was something I did as sort of a backlash against karaoke contests which I deplore. I did sort of a non contest contest. I called it karaoke kamikaze night, the kamikaze drinks were $1.00 that night. First you get a hat or container and put 100 random songs in it, each singer that participated before they sang took a shooter, then drew out a song and sang. No big prizes just small ones everybody that participated won something, no bruised egos and everyone showed up the next week still one big happy family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
When a show has only a few singers - I have done songs from a decade.

We start let's say with the 50's first rotation, then 60's next etc...

Everyone sings a song from that decade. It's been fun and interesting at times.

There was one time where we did switch the gender... Especially since we only had two girls and several guys... Guys would sing a female singer's song (like Taylor Swift or Katie Perry) and girls would sing a guys song (that's not as humorous - but depends on the song!) Although, we had a girl sing Sex Bomb/Tom Jones that was entertaining!

I'd like to hear of other ideas... For those slower nights when you have willing participants. (Luckily, most of my shows are!)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 6 times
We started a "singer showcase" at the bar where I used to run karaoke. Every Saturday, we would open karaoke an hour early, and one singer was selected to be the showcase singer. We would post signs and advertise on Facebook, etc., just as a bar would for a big band or something. Their name would go up on the marquee sign out front, etc. It was always a big deal to everyone, especially the singer who was basically treated like a rock star for the evening. They would bring all their friends and family to see them, and they got to sing whatever they wanted for the entire hour. Because we started an hour early, it didn't cut into the normal karaoke, and we always started regular karaoke with a nice crowd already in place. It was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Karaoke doesn't need gimmicks. It's just people wanting to sing when they drink. The beauty is in the simplicity. The fact that they are usually drinking means you don't want to make things any more complicated. A trivia night crowd tends not to drink as much and the people may like some different stimulation once in a while, but when it comes to karaoke, there's only one thing they want to do. Forcing everyone to sing like William Shatner doesn't strike me as something everyone would want to participate in, and that's something you need to consider. Most people will go along with what you say because you're the KJ, but also remember that not everyone will tell you when they don't like your change of plans. You can't go wrong when you keep it simple.

Some things are just fine the way they are. Not everything needs improving. The only thing about karaoke that you can improve upon is the quality of your system, the level of fun you bring to the show and how well you run your show. The basic concept of karaoke is like the wheel. You can't reinvent the wheel and you can't make it any rounder. You can hold a wheel over your head and protect yourself from the rain, but then it ceases to be a wheel anymore and it's now an umbrella. Don't do the same with karaoke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
Karaoke doesn't need gimmicks. It's just people wanting to sing when they drink. The beauty is in the simplicity. The fact that they are usually drinking means you don't want to make things any more complicated. A trivia night crowd tends not to drink as much and the people may like some different stimulation once in a while, but when it comes to karaoke, there's only one thing they want to do. Forcing everyone to sing like William Shatner doesn't strike me as something everyone would want to participate in, and that's something you need to consider. Most people will go along with what you say because you're the KJ, but also remember that not everyone will tell you when they don't like your change of plans. You can't go wrong when you keep it simple.

Some things are just fine the way they are. Not everything needs improving. The only thing about karaoke that you can improve upon is the quality of your system, the level of fun you bring to the show and how well you run your show. The basic concept of karaoke is like the wheel. You can't reinvent the wheel and you can't make it any rounder. You can hold a wheel over your head and protect yourself from the rain, but then it ceases to be a wheel anymore and it's now an umbrella. Don't do the same with karaoke.

This is a very short-sighted view and one that will be proven wrong at some point in the future.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" might be an easy way to look at it, but innovation is always possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:51 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

KaraokeIan, just to be clear, we didn't force a bunch of karaoke singers to sing like William Shatner. It was a special event, on a night that we'd usually have live music, in addition to our two karaoke nights that week.

It was billed as "Sing Like William Shatner Night", not as karaoke, so the people who showed up for it came for the express purpose of imitating William Shatner, and there were surprisingly many of them, mostly not our regular karaoke crowd. It was generally successful, but it got a little tiresome after a while.

Many years ago we had an extra night billed as "Cheesy Karaoke Contest". People picked cheesy songs like "You're Having My Baby" or "Yummy Yummy Yummy." We had three judges in the back who held up cards with one, two, or three wedges of cheese, and we gave away cheese-related prizes. It was fun, drew a lot of new people and regulars, and nobody feels bad if they lose because they're not 'cheesy' enough.

I agree we have to be careful not to do something that is different from what people showed up to do. One way to do that is to do these events completely separate from the regular karaoke nights.

Another way is to make participation optional. If you're having a 'gender-bender' contest night, you can just tell the people to let you know if they're participating. That way the people who just want to drink and sing "Picture" won't have the rug pulled out from under them. We did that for the cheesy karaoke contest, so people who just wanted to do karaoke got an extra night out of it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Here's what we do to spice things up:

Someone from the audience is chosen at random. This person has to take off one of his/her socks which is then placed over the microphone. All singers must then sing using the microphone with the sock on it. It may smell a little bit but it makes an excellent pop filter.

I have just shared an awesome idea that you can rest assured, is probably not done at any other karaoke place in your vicinity.

Here's another:

A singer has a microphone in one hand and a glass of water mixed with ketchup in the other. The next singer in the rotation, while using a straw, must finish the singer's drink before the end of the song. If they successfully do so, they are allowed to sing their next turn.

Here's one more:

A singer lies on his back on the floor while singing. 5 people are chosen to dance around him with their drinks in hand. Usually they spill them on the singer... and everyone laughs.

Last one:

A male singer is seated in a chair. A female singer is chosen to give him a lap dance while he is singing. If he successfully completes the song, the female singer is allowed to sing twice in a row and receives a free drink.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen... These are just a few of the many fun things you can do. You will set yourself apart from the rest and you're patrons will be talking about your show for days, weeks, even months! What a way to make a name for yourself!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

chrisavis wrote:

This is a very short-sighted view and one that will be proven wrong at some point in the future.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" might be an easy way to look at it, but innovation is always possible.

I disagree. Look at the place you're in at every gig, a bar. Exactly how much have they changed over the years when it comes to the basic concept and what users expect? Zero. It's a place to sit down and drink. Sure they've invented a couple new drinks since the wild west days, but the basic concept hasn't changed a bit. Sure they'll always come up with new songs to sing, but I don't see the basic need, just like drinking, to change at all. There will be bars a hundred years form now and there will be karaoke a hundred years from now, and I don't see the basic concept changing at all. You'll still be able to walk into a bar, put a song in, and get up and sing when it's your turn. Just the same way you can walk into a bar, order a drink and drink it. They'll add technology to maybe speed things up, but it's not going to "evolve" the way you're thinking into something different.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

I disagree. Look at the place you're in at every gig, a bar. Exactly how much have they changed over the years when it comes to the basic concept and what users expect? Zero. It's a place to sit down and drink. Sure they've invented a couple new drinks since the wild west days, but the basic concept hasn't changed a bit. Sure they'll always come up with new songs to sing, but I don't see the basic need, just like drinking, to change at all. There will be bars a hundred years form now and there will be karaoke a hundred years from now, and I don't see the basic concept changing at all. You'll still be able to walk into a bar, put a song in, and get up and sing when it's your turn. Just the same way you can walk into a bar, order a drink and drink it. They'll add technology to maybe speed things up, but it's not going to "evolve" the way you're thinking into something different.

If I can innovate/change/create/add something of value that in turn gives people options other than the standard karaoke experience they can literally get at any karaoke bar *and* that I can charge for and increase my rates/bottom line, then it is worth it.

I am not talking about gimmicks either. I am talking about something that truly engages a customer, draws them in, and creates net new customers.

Or would you prefer we were all still running Windows 3.0?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Alan B wrote:
Here's what we do to spice things up:

Someone from the audience is chosen at random. This person has to take off one of his/her socks which is then placed over the microphone. All singers must then sing using the microphone with the sock on it. It may smell a little bit but it makes an excellent pop filter.

I have just shared an awesome idea that you can rest assured, is probably not done at any other karaoke place in your vicinity.

Here's another:

A singer has a microphone in one hand and a glass of water mixed with ketchup in the other. The next singer in the rotation, while using a straw, must finish the singer's drink before the end of the song. If they successfully do so, they are allowed to sing their next turn.

Here's one more:

A singer lies on his back on the floor while singing. 5 people are chosen to dance around him with their drinks in hand. Usually they spill them on the singer... and everyone laughs.

Last one:

A male singer is seated in a chair. A female singer is chosen to give him a lap dance while he is singing. If he successfully completes the song, the female singer is allowed to sing twice in a row and receives a free drink.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen... These are just a few of the many fun things you can do. You will set yourself apart from the rest and you're patrons will be talking about your show for days, weeks, even months! What a way to make a name for yourself!

This is a pretty good example of the kind of post that make folks feel reluctant to share or talk about new ideas.

Not that it's any worse than what I've seen out of some other posters in this thread.

But I wish people would just stay out of the conversation if they don't have anything constructive to add.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

KaraokeIan wrote:

Ian, it's ironic that you're using the perfect example of why you're wrong.

Of course, the one thing bars have in common is that people go there to drink. Beyond that, how much do bars actually have in common? Not just the ones you go to, but all of them?

Not very (@$%&#!) much.

You have those bars in the old Westerns, where the guy says, "Bring me a rye whiskey, and leave me the bottle!" There's the basic setup. In those days, no women were allowed in bars, unless they were "working." From that, you get blues bars, and expense account bars, and sports bars, and college bars, and dance bars, and karaoke bars, and hookah bars, and rock bars, and gay bars, and fern bars, and singles bars, and strip bars, and do I have to go on? There are bars in Vegas with DJs where one table might spend $1,000 on Cristal. The bar business is reinvented every day.

Imagine if people in the bar business had stayed with your concept--it isn't broke, so don't fix it. We'd all be standing shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of other guys, ordering up rye whiskey and peeing in a trough under the bar (yep, they did that, in the old days).

I don't know the karaoke business as well as you, but I've owned bars for eighteen years, and it seems from your comments in this and other threads that you don't really understand the bar business very well. There are a lot of ways to make it work. One way is to have a belly-up-to-the-bar, 'you're here for an honest drink', type of dive bar. The other way is to differentiate yourself, and I can guarantee that the people doing the latter successfully (that being the important word!) are the ones making the money. If you think success is based on having good drink prices, you have it dead backwards--success is based on creating traffic and demand, differentiating oneself, and proper management. In other words, so you're not just another loser, slugging it out with the other losers selling cheap whiskey shots on price. That's the reason there are karaoke gigs to begin with. Differentation.

The people in here throwing ideas out are on exactly the right track. You can either do the same thing as everyone else and try to win an arms race of bigger and better equipment and more songs, or you can try to think of ways to differentiate your show and make it more fun.

What's useful in this thread is the dialectic of doing something different and still not disappointing the people who already liked it the way it was. A lot of people are responding to that dilemma, and in my opinion their comments are more useful than the ones ridiculing any new idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
BigJer wrote:
But I wish people would just stay out of the conversation if they don't have anything constructive to add.

This is a pretty good example of someone with no sense of humor. Sad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

chrisavis wrote:
KaraokeIan wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

If I can innovate/change/create/add something of value that in turn gives people options other than the standard karaoke experience they can literally get at any karaoke bar *and* that I can charge for and increase my rates/bottom line, then it is worth it.

I am not talking about gimmicks either. I am talking about something that truly engages a customer, draws them in, and creates net new customers.

Or would you prefer we were all still running Windows 3.0?

Terrible analogy with the windows thing. First of all, you're comparing something that is in it's relative infancy and hasn't even been completely defined yet, and is a tool for work. Karaoke, like the bars they're in, both have a basic single purpose and unlike computers, that purpose doesn't change. I said there would be technical improvements, just like there will be with Windows, but again, the basic purpose will not change. With Windows 3.0, they didn't even yet know people would use it to browse the internet. A computer can have many purposes and we will be discovering those for years to come, but karaoke's purpose will not change. If it does, then you can't call it karaoke anymore. That's the difference.

To CafeBar, yes there are different "flavors" of bars like sports bars and theme bars, but what the bar does and its purpose have not changed. Some karaoke shows have more country singers, and some more rock singers, but it doesn't change karaoke, in the same way that adding themed décor in a bar doesn't change basic business of a bar. Just because you add purple carpet to your house doesn't mean you've "invented" a new kind of house.

You are all setting a very low bar for defining "invention", and that is what the OP was asking in the subject line.

Chris, I also don't like your notion that searching for things to "charge for" helps our industry at all. You charge the bar for your services. Patrons expect karaoke to be free. Look, I get that you get bored running the same karaoke show week after week, but if you notice, the people getting drunk and having a blast singing their favorite songs every week don't look at it that way. They're not bored. It's imperative that you keep that in mind. If they are bored, then the problem isn't because you haven't "invented" something new, it's because you're not having fun doing something that should be, and if you're not having fun and your patrons aren't having fun, then you're just in the wrong business.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Alan B wrote:
BigJer wrote:

This is a pretty good example of someone with no sense of humor. Sad.

Alan, I think you are an OK guy. I just didn't find the sarcasm of this one post funny or useful