KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - anyone 'invented'/ reinventing something new via karaoke..? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 627 times
The way I see it, Karaoke is simple. People come to your show, or people are already at the venue (for other reasons), and just happen to be there for your show. People get up to sing at your show. Some people leave, and some people stay. That's it. Simple.

I have seen variations from one show to the next. Some variations have included "Theme Night" (Sing Gender Benders, Sing Love Songs, 60's Night, etc...). I have seen Contest nights.I have seen some shows where the Host uses lights and fog/dry ice machines. I have seen some shows where they have toy instruments to use as props to make your singing a more enjoyable performance. None of that, IMO, constitutes being a "New Innovation" to Karaoke shows. It's just an add-on/variation to how the Host runs his/her/their show/s.

Now, here is something that I considered to be a "New Innovation"... Live Band Karaoke (although it's not so new anymore (since it's been around for years)). I have seen two different styles of this:
1. A Live Band plays the music, and you sing the song (from a lyric sheet handed to you).
2. A regular Karaoke track is played, while a band plays instruments alongside with the song, and you sing from the monitor.
Not only was this a variation to your normal Karaoke show, but the use of a Live Band made it a total change to its format.

I think this is what the OP is looking for... some new ideas and thoughts that would suggest a change to how Karaoke is presented.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 98 times
cueball wrote:
Now, here is something that I considered to be a "New Innovation"... Live Band Karaoke (although it's not so new anymore (since it's been around for years)). I have seen two different styles of this:
1. A Live Band plays the music, and you sing the song (from a lyric sheet handed to you).
2. A regular Karaoke track is played, while a band plays instruments alongside with the song, and you sing from the monitor.
Not only was this a variation to your normal Karaoke show, but the use of a Live Band made it a total change to its format.

I think this is what the OP is looking for... some new ideas and thoughts that would suggest a change to how Karaoke is presented.

Live band karaoke can't technically be called karaoke. It should be called open mic night, which is what it really is. Karaoke, translated from its original Japanese, means literally "empty orchestra", which means there is no one playing instruments. Again, you can't redefine karaoke, and if the fundamentals change then it's no longer karaoke.

You're all beating a dead horse. It's like you're trying to make a circle more round.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1659 times
I think this thread is a good example of why some people can't succeed at doing karaoke.

No vision. No creativity.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

chrisavis wrote:
I think this thread is a good example of why some people can't succeed at doing karaoke.

I think this is an example of someone who doesn't get what karaoke is. Being a KJ isn't an art form. It doesn't take vision or creativity. If that's what you want, become an architect. The people who wrote the original music needed creativity. The people who engineered all the tools you use needed creativity. What you do is a job and you're not creating anything except fun. You lookup songs and hand people a microphone. Yes, it helps if you have the personality for the job, and there are plenty of things you can do to make people have more fun, but you don't get to "reinvent" karaoke. You can't reinvent something that already exists.

I guess this all boils down to the wording the OP used. "invent" or "reinvent" are probably the wrong words to use. All of the suggested ideas do NOT reinvent anything. They're just a slight twist on something that has already been defined. That's the only point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying KJs can't do "creative" things to make the show more fun, but the word "invent" needs to be dropped. That's all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:21 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 351 times
BigJer wrote:
Alan B wrote:
BigJer wrote:
But I wish people would just stay out of the conversation if they don't have anything constructive to add.

This is a pretty good example of someone with no sense of humor. Sad.

Alan, I think you are an OK guy. I just didn't find the sarcasm of this one post funny or useful

The way I see it...

In a divided world filled with so much tension and hate, a world that may not be around much longer, it's more important than ever to live each day to the fullest. Live, love, laugh and try to have a sense of humor. This is more important than karaoke will ever be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 141 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

I think this is an example of someone who doesn't get what karaoke is. Being a KJ isn't an art form. It doesn't take vision or creativity. If that's what you want, become an architect.

8) While being a KJ isn't an art form, getting the most out of every singer, does take some skill. Putting together a show and managing a business does take some time and talent. Filling up a venue with customers and making a success of the evening requires some organizational and promotional savvy. While it might not be artistic it takes some luck, some effort, and most of all sticking to a plan. The art part comes from your patrons, the people who want to create something, and have a good time doing it. You supply the means they supply the artistic spark. That is why it is fun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
KaraokeIan wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

I think this is an example of someone who doesn't get what karaoke is. Being a KJ isn't an art form. It doesn't take vision or creativity. If that's what you want, become an architect.

8) While being a KJ isn't an art form, getting the most out of every singer, does take some skill. Putting together a show and managing a business does take some time and talent. Filling up a venue with customers and making a success of the evening requires some organizational and promotional savvy. While it might not be artistic it takes some luck, some effort, and most of all sticking to a plan. The art part comes from your patrons, the people who want to create something, and have a good time doing it. You supply the means they supply the artistic spark. That is why it is fun.

Completely agree :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Artistic sparks. Well of singing the same songs every single week is artistic I guess.

But I see KJ s who find ways to gently prod their singers to expand their repertoires have much more interesting shows than the ones where the KJs rely on the singers to change things up on their own, because most of them won't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

"Artistic sparks". Well if singing the same songs week in and week our every single week is "artistic" bring on the KJ creative input.

KJ s who find ways to gently prod their singers to expand their repertoires have much more interesting shows than the ones where the KJs rely on the singers to change things up on their own, because most of them simply won't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I don't know if this counts, but here's a "promotion" I have done...

Get yourself a fake tree like the ones they have in offices. You can find them in thrift stores.

Get play money and clothespin it onto the tree.

At the end of a round you go into your spiel about how the bar and you have teamed up to bring back a "rare and unique botanical specimen from the deepest heart of Africa, fording crocodile infested streams, climbing mountains, dodging headhunters and cannibals till at last you found it!

" Bring forth, the money tree"!

Set the tree up in the middle of the dance floor. Pull one of your singers names out of a hat. Give them a morocca. Explain, "This is your money maker". You must shake your money maker with one hand while using the other hand to get the money.

If you knock the tree over you are done. Any money dropped on the floor you lose. When the music begins, they run to the tree and harvest money till the music stops. Whatever is in their hand will be traded for real one dollar bills. If they get all of the bills you can add a bonus.

Play a short song such as the theme from the Price is Right or The Jeffersons.

My singers loved it. It only takes a few minutes and it encouraged people who had never sang before to try singing so they could get a shot at the money.

To make it more challenging set the tree up so its easy to knock over.

Most people are hard pressed to get more than $25 if you clip the money to the underside of the leaves.