KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Know Nothing About Karaoke But Looking to Have Fun Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
I have done karaoke once in my life and after I got over the initial fear I really enjoyed it. My fiance and I love to sing together and we have talked about dong karaoke at home. I really know nothing about karaoke other than to hold the mike. However, her birthday is coming up and I thought it would be fun if we could get some kind of a system that will allow us to play at home. I've got a great stereo system and flat screen tv so, it seems that if I could get the karaoke device (I'm sure there is a technical name for that device so please excuse my ignorance), some sort of a starter kit if you will, then, we could make a go of it. I read some of the posts and I see that most of the folks want to do this as a business and spend tens of thousands of dollars. I am looking for something simple and cheap and just want to have some fun with my gal. Is that possible? Can someone give me some guidance please.

Thanks.

Last edited by jackadam on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 9 times
You'll find some advice here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30630

including - ahem - my own modest contribution.

As I'm sure others will tell you, DO NOT attempt to use your stereo system. You could easily blow your speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
bwriter wrote:

As I'm sure others will tell you, DO NOT attempt to use your stereo system. You could easily blow your speakers.
That is excellent advice. And also, you will pay more and get less if you buy any equipment that's specifically made for karaoke. It's usually over-priced toys. Get yourself a powered mixer, a pair of passive speakers and a couple of mics and you're in business.

Now, you'll need a laptop and software to run the system (most important part). As far as karaoke songs are concerned, you can either spend thousands of dollars for music or subscribe to a service that gives you access to thousands of karaoke tracks for $10 per month (Karafun). And that's for home use, NOT commercial.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:06 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Since this is for at home, use the free Karafun software with a home subscription. Your computer is way more flexible than any karaoke machine and They have over 20 thousand songs and its only like $15/month *I don't remember exactly i'd have to look on my credit card*

Using your stereo system is a bad idea, but if you absolutely must then you'll at least need a 1/8 to stereo rca cord. The small end plugs into your audio out on the computer and the other two plug into the stereo or tv.

cheers

-james

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
So to sum up, what you need is 1) A way to play tracks, 2) A way to get tracks, and 3) A way to amplify tracks.

1) You might already have a computer that will work. Check system requirements for Karafun.

2) Karafun subscription. Probably better to use wired internet if possible, since you're not moving it.

3) Get a small, non-powered mixing board with effects. A lot of the small, cheap ones don't have effects, which are important for matching the live vocals to the karaoke tracks and make it way more fun, but you can buy low-priced ones that have it. Four channels is plenty. I wouldn't worry about any other features for your home system--cheapest four-channel board you can get with effects.

Get small, powered PA speakers--you don't need big ones in a small room. My thought is that you're better off buying one speaker and running the mixing board mono than playing through your home stereo.

This setup will cost far less than a professional system, and if you use your own computer it won't cost any more than one of the rinky-dink 'toy' home systems, and sound much, much better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:20 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I prefer home karaoke now since the smoking ban came in. At least my girlfriend can smoke while we sing now which she cant do in a pub.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

singsong wrote:
I prefer home karaoke now since the smoking ban came in. At least my girlfriend can smoke while we sing now which she cant do in a pub.

Is it really that much trouble to go outside to have a cigarette? Listen, you simply cannot duplicate the karaoke experience at home. There's nothing like being on stage and performing to a live crowd. It's an atmosphere you can't get at home.

Like I said, you would let that stop you because of being too lazy to go outside when you wanted to have a cigarette?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Alan, it's not about being lazy to go outside to smoke. Singsong just wants to sing with his gf and she can smoke whenever she feels like lighting it up. It doesn't look like he is looking for the excitement of singing in front of an audience. The live singing atmosphere is not what he is looking for. The added benefit of them singing at home is they can sing songs that they may have never sung before, removing all inhibition because when you're at home, who cares if you're totally singing off key, and they can sing as much and as often as they want to. It's all in the fun!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
The live singing atmosphere is not what he is looking for.

My interpretation is that they liked going out for karaoke until (his quote): "I prefer home karaoke now since the smoking ban came in". The key word is since. Thank You.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
bazinga wrote:

My interpretation is that they liked going out for karaoke until (his quote): "I prefer home karaoke now since the smoking ban came in". The key word is since. Thank You.

And how is this helping the OP??

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
bazinga wrote:

And how is this helping the OP??

It's not. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Alan B wrote:
singsong wrote:

Is it really that much trouble to go outside to have a cigarette? Listen, you simply cannot duplicate the karaoke experience at home. There's nothing like being on stage and performing to a live crowd. It's an atmosphere you can't get at home.

Like I said, you would let that stop you because of being too lazy to go outside when you wanted to have a cigarette?

In case you, and others, haven't noticed, singsong ONLY chimes in with comments about "smoking"

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile