KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - powered speakers sounding harsh and raw Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi I'm new to karaoke scene but i'm hoping someone could help me out. I host a karaoke and dj show and I recently purchased the Yorkville PS15P powered loud speakers. I tried just about everything with the equipment I have to make them sound good and warm as my nx55p's sounded. The PS15P's definitely have a ton of power and they are loud and harsh sounding and not so pleasing to the ears. I use a pgm58 mixer with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Yorkville PS15P powered is a quality loudspeaker; you should be getting clean and smooth sound. What kind of mixer are you using? Any other unit? Pro tech here at ks can give you solid advice if you post more info.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
turn them 180 degrees and reflect the sound off a wall/window.

It could be your mixer that's causing the sound problems. also look at the trims for highs and lows on your speakers amp. maybe they are turned up to high causing your issues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:00 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Sounds to me like you are experiencingsome Accoustic / ambient /EQ issues in your room. Even though there is no feedback can still sound un-pleasing to your ears.

Try Watching some videos on how to EQ your room. Key words: spectrum analyzer, eq room, tune my speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
back to basics...
what is your mixer, the PGM58 does not show as anything.
what are the eq settings and gain settings on the speaker (turning the powered speaker trim all the way up can cause this issue, they are not meant to go beyond 12:00 is using a mixer)
what are the eq settings on the mixer and any other eq you may have in line.
the more we know, the more we can help ya.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
It's most likely the mixer, either in the quality or in the way it is being set up. To find out which, is there someone you can borrow a quality mixng board from just to try out? Either a yahama or even better something like an A&H z series.

Setup techniques i will leave to the experts, because I am still learning myself.

-James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:56 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Do you mix the left and right channels together first and then send the combined signal to the speakers? If so, this could be he cause of the harsh and raw sound on at least some of your songs. I have found with some songs some of the sound on the left channel is the inverse of what is on the right channel and it cancels when you mix the left and right channels together. You don't get the same cancellation effect when you connect the speakers as strictly left or right channels. When I come across really bad sounding songs that result from mixing the left and right channels first, I find that if I turn off either the left or right channel that the song sounds much better. I think it's just better if you send the left channel to one speaker and the right channel to the other. One place where I host karaoke only has one powered speaker so I have to combine channels, but if you have two or four speakers, then definitely assign either a left or right channel to each speaker.

Just as a point of information, there are some homemade karaoke songs that are created by taking the left and right channels, inverting one of them, and adding them together. The idea behind doing this is that frequently songs are produced with different instruments being more on the left or right channel, but the vocals tend to go to both channels equally. If you invert one channel and combine them the vocals disappear while you should still hear the music. This would work great if the instruments were strictly on one channel or the other, but I find that is not the case and often much of the music disappears along with the vocals. What is left can be raw, harsh, or tinny.