KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke Version Bitrate??????????? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Oh, boy......here it comes................

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Maybe I can get it started, even from MY viewpoint:

Wouldn't the HD, even in these works, be mainly in regards to the VISUAL part of it? I just am not aware of being able to make an MP3 into something that would be considered HD...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
doowhatchulike, exactly.
if we take KV tracks for instance,
i downloaded Garth Brooks Bsby Let's Lay Down And Dance
mp3 = 156kb/s
HD = 128kb/s

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:50 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Im not referring to making them from an mp3.

But if i was it wouldn't be from an already compressed file.

Thankyou to Jim Harrington for the link to Spek http://spek.cc

Source code is also available in C++ Maybe some developers can incorporate this into their karaoke software as a new feature release for 2017.

Hint hint!

Enjoy the clip

You decide what bite rate you want. I know for most of us that have the original disk will most likely rip their cd at the best quality. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

i'm not either, that is downloaded from the source. HD is the way things are going, but the audio quality is dropping. the HD files have lower audio bitrate than mp3 files.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i'm not either, that is downloaded from the source. HD is the way things are going, but the audio quality is dropping. the HD files have lower audio bitrate than mp3 files.

There is a reason for this - Streaming.

There is finite bandwidth for streaming and almost all of the streaming services prioritize video quality over audio quality. Since KV operates a streaming service, it is likely that they maintain the video quality and decrease audio quality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
That all makes perfect sense to me....
A quick indirectly related history of what killed my career and is probably at work now....

In TV we strived for years to make TV quality as good as film. The original HD standard we came up with was backward compatable with SD allowing 10 years for the consumer to switch over. This was not good enough. The majors bought out the patent and changed it so it was NOT backward compatable forcing consumers to buy NOW. They then went to congress and petitioned the FCC to change the rules. While they were at it the held the carrot of higher sales tax revenue if the fcc would eliminate the standards for NTSC to permit more consumer video and the NEW hd to become the standard. They won...we lost.
People were so excited to see blocky fuzzy glitchy video on the internet that it was easy to eliminate the standards and practices as the expectation of the consumer was drastically lowered. This paved the way for weak computer driven video to become the norm. In short, profits before quality. Consumerization. It makes sense for karaoke companies to cater to tablets, ipods and streaming video karaoke consumers simply for the $$$$.

I am simply annoyed that we cannot acquire higher quality material and therefore not provide a superior service that the consumer will want. The only thing left is the venue and maybe the personality of the KJ to lure in clientele. The very sad truth is that for years businesses have geared to mass consumer sales and the elimination of the service industry.
If I cannot provide a better quality product than a pirate because they are not available, then why hire me? Hell why hire a KJ at all when you can use a streaming service and the wait staff can carry the mics around? I figured the materials exist in a higher quality format somewhere and maybe KV could set up a "pro" option for purchasing 256-320 tracks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

There is finite bandwidth for streaming and almost all of the streaming services prioritize video quality over audio quality. Since KV operates a streaming service, it is likely that they maintain the video quality and decrease audio quality

Which I would find odd if that's the reason only because audio bandwidth takes up quite a bit less than HD video bw, meaning there should be plenty of room for 320kbps audio bw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:42 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
screamersusa wrote:
That all makes perfect sense to me....
A quick indirectly related history of what killed my career and is probably at work now....

In TV we strived for years to make TV quality as good as film. The original HD standard we came up with was backward compatable with SD allowing 10 years for the consumer to switch over. This was not good enough. The majors bought out the patent and changed it so it was NOT backward compatable forcing consumers to buy NOW. They then went to congress and petitioned the FCC to change the rules. While they were at it the held the carrot of higher sales tax revenue if the fcc would eliminate the standards for NTSC to permit more consumer video and the NEW hd to become the standard. They won...we lost.
People were so excited to see blocky fuzzy glitchy video on the internet that it was easy to eliminate the standards and practices as the expectation of the consumer was drastically lowered. This paved the way for weak computer driven video to become the norm. In short, profits before quality. Consumerization. It makes sense for karaoke companies to cater to tablets, ipods and streaming video karaoke consumers simply for the $$$$.

I am simply annoyed that we cannot acquire higher quality material and therefore not provide a superior service that the consumer will want. The only thing left is the venue and maybe the personality of the KJ to lure in clientele. The very sad truth is that for years businesses have geared to mass consumer sales and the elimination of the service industry.
If I cannot provide a better quality product than a pirate because they are not available, then why hire me? Hell why hire a KJ at all when you can use a streaming service and the wait staff can carry the mics around? I figured the materials exist in a higher quality format somewhere and maybe KV could set up a "pro" option for purchasing 256-320 tracks.

As they say over at the D. O. J., follow the money..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Which I would find odd if that's the reason only because audio bandwidth takes up quite a bit less than HD video bw, meaning there should be plenty of room for 320kbps audio bw.

I have some insider knowledge on this from my years at Microsoft and working with streaming companies. But the evidence is readily apparent for anyone to see.

Take a look at Amazon and Netflix streaming (and most other movie/video streaming platforms). They stream the video in HD. But the audio is mostly in stereo, not Dolby or DTS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

I have some insider knowledge on this from my years at Microsoft and working with streaming companies. But the evidence is readily apparent for anyone to see.

Take a look at Amazon and Netflix streaming (and most other movie/video streaming platforms). They stream the video in HD. But the audio is mostly in stereo, not Dolby or DTS.

Ok, but that doesn't support the 160kbps vs 320kbps argument for karaoke tracks. Again, audio bandwidth, in this case, is cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

it may on the KFN files for Karafun, but their WMV files (imo) sound much cleaner and fuller than the cdg or even mp4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

And you have to figure more and more people are totally fine with the sounds of mp3's. I know many people today that do not even have stereo systems - their sound comes from their phone on a Bluetooth speaker. So obviously 'audiophile' quality isn't a huge factor in todays sound as far as many are concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

guys, i was originally responding to this
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
In all honesty, karaoke format is switching the HD karaoke tracks so why bother going through all the hustle n' bustle with bit rates when you can buy the complete set of Sunfly HD karaoke tracks for approx $0.50 cents / track.

Get with the program guys. HD is here for a while.

On another note, "it's all about Hi-Fidelity"

going to HD is not "all about hi-fidelity", it is actually lower than mp3g, just flashier graphics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Lonman wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

it may on the KFN files for Karafun, but their WMV files (imo) sound much cleaner and fuller than the cdg or even mp4.

The only problem with that is that at least one karaoke software manufacturer has taken out support for Windows Media files. How long will it be that all karaoke players no longer support those files as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
The only problem with that is that at least one karaoke software manufacturer has taken out support for Windows Media files. How long will it be that all karaoke players no longer support those files as well?

eh...no other manufacturer is dumb enough to REMOVE functionality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman wrote:
And you have to figure more and more people are totally fine with the sounds of mp3's. I know many people today that do not even have stereo systems - their sound comes from their phone on a Bluetooth speaker. So obviously 'audiophile' quality isn't a huge factor in todays sound as far as many are concerned.

This is exactly why it's bugging me a little. While it may seem the audience does not care, they actually do! They are drawn to the companionship of the crowd at a Karaoke night and the "event" created by the KJ, Venue and quality of sound. If they have monitors to hear themselves, full range big sounding material that they do not have at home, they are attracted. Many people go to see live bands for the rawness and liveliness of it. No reason
why a karaoke night shouldn't have the same effect.
If the material coming out of a professional PA does not significantly better than your tablet
or earbuds, why bother going?

Maybe it's a little different here...lots of coffee drinkers (or one glass of wine), dinner or appetizer eaters, who tip the wait staff well, and come up to sing. Kinda like serious pool players. We don't get the tourist or college drunk as hell crowds except for the occasional wedding or holiday party. We also have a very depressed but formerly robust music scene resulting in pro grade singers looking to have some fun as well provided the KJ supplies a good setup catering to all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Ok, but that doesn't support the 160kbps vs 320kbps argument for karaoke tracks. Again, audio bandwidth, in this case, is cheap.

Why create two version when one will suffice? The low audio bitrate files (to save bandwidth for streaming) are also the downloaded files.

But don't take my word for it. Send an email or two.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:36 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Pretty clear to me.. you get what you get now go shut up. I'm QUITE used to that reality. At least I know I have a library that won't disappear overnight at the whim of some artist or publisher due to a large pile of original disks and is the best quality I can get.
Thats a little comfort anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

I know Hoster has stated they would never drop support of a file format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next