KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Fake Names and Bogus Song Slips and Phoney Sign ups Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Last night I had a guy fill out a slip for another person. This other person was dancing around and acting like a jerk all night long from the minute he came in. I always give the microphone to the person that gave me the slip and tell them they are next.

Well he goes over to give it to "Jerko" who starts the song and then quits because it was "I Touch Myself." A girl that happened to be standing next to him finished the song.

His "friend" obviously pulled a prank on his pal.

It was the only time they did it so it kinda became a non issue.

How do you handle prank song requests? And multiple names and aliases.

Do you say something and make a big deal out of it?

Do you let it go?

It's frustrating and can become disruptive to the show. It's only funny to the ones involved. I wasn't laughing.

I never saw them before. I'm not sure if they are college bound and having the last hurrah or if they are maybe going to become regulars. I certainly hope not.

Late in the night it turned into a play wrestling match and they both fell on the ground. Threw sugar packets all over the floor. Immature to say the least. Not my normal karaoke participants.

Tags: [url="http://ringtonedownloads.mobi/"]best ringtones free[/url], [url="https://tonosgratis.mobi/"]tono para llamada[/url]

Last edited by jackadam on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
It doesn't happen frequently enough for it to be an issue so I don't get my boxers bunched up over it.

There are two things here though....

Prankers and People trying to sing more often

For prankers, I don't care. I go along with it and will frequently prank the prankers and speed up or otherwise change their songs when they come up. Makes for fun, memorable nights :)

For those that are gaming the system to sing more often, I will first pull them aside and explain how it works. If they try to circumvent things again, I take the "shock and awe" route and just call them out over the mic. I am not mean about it, but I do nip it in the bud asap. I have found that the crowd can often police things better than I can and there are more of them to do it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Last Friday I had a new singer give me 3 song slips each with a different singer. So I added 3 new singers to the rotation. When I called the guy up that gave me the 3 slips he sang his song, and when I called the next new singer up, he grabbed the mic and was ready to sing again.

I then realized he was all 3 of the new singers. I explained that he needed to use the same name on every slip he turns in, and he looked at me as if I was nuts. No worry because I will probably never see him again, but his wife was attractive and a very good singer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
MrMarog, whether he gave you a funny look or not, he knew damn well what you were talking about.

Regarding the OP--the prank seems pretty harmless and might have picked up the evening a bit. The 'jerk' should have been cut off by the bar for other reasons. One person drawing attention to himself, engaging in fake combat, and knocking things over is making a whole lot of guests uncomfortable for the sale of a few drinks, and they're being sold to someone who isn't safe or legal to serve.

The other thing I see is abuse of 'duets'. Some people are genuinely helpful with duets--they'll get up with a reluctant singer, let them choose a song, and serve as a security blanket. The opposite number just wants to sing every song, picks the songs he wants to sing, asks someone to stand up next to him while he sings, then put the other person's name on the slip.

I'm curious how you all deal with duets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
For my shows duets count as both singer's turns for that rotation. I also don't allow the same song to be sung twice in any one show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:13 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

flees wrote:
For my shows duets count as both singer's turns for that rotation. I also don't allow the same song to be sung twice in any one show.

That seems plain and clean, and generally makes the most sense to me. I could also see letting two people sing two duets (not necessarily back-to-back), because they'd take no more space in the rotation than if they sang individually.

The one problem I see is the guy (or gal) who's genuinely just there to give moral support to a nervous singer. In other words, "I'll sing if (s)he gets up here with me." The 'helper' might be reluctant if it means giving up his turn.

I suspect that any accommodation for this sort of thing would quickly give way to abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
flees wrote:
This used to be my stance on duets until the last couple years. Now I allow someone to do their solo (John) and may do a duet with someone on the other persons turn (Mary & John), this may only be done once in a rotation so anyone else wanting to sing a duet with John will need to wait til the next round. However if you write up your slip as Dave and Buster and then another one as Buster and Dave - I do not consider this as two separate slips but as one entity and will be treated as the single singer.

I also do not allow repeats on a song on any one night (although this rule has been bent on occasion but it's rare).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

CafeBar wrote:
flees wrote:

That seems plain and clean, and generally makes the most sense to me. I could also see letting two people sing two duets (not necessarily back-to-back), because they'd take no more space in the rotation than if they sang individually.

The one problem I see is the guy (or gal) who's genuinely just there to give moral support to a nervous singer. In other words, "I'll sing if (s)he gets up here with me." The 'helper' might be reluctant if it means giving up his turn.

I suspect that any accommodation for this sort of thing would quickly give way to abuse.

That is partly why I changed my staunch duet counting for both persons turn rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
flees wrote:
For my shows duets count as both singer's turns for that rotation.

Why? That seems very unfair. When I get a slip from someone with 2 names on it for a duet, I'll tell them I need to put the song under one persons name. Either yours or the person your singing with. And there never is a problem with that.

The way I see it, you are getting a "turn". What you do with it is your business. Whether you want to sing alone, with another person or 10 other people is your business. It's your turn and you're free to do what you want with it. It's not taking anything away from other singers. Counting a duet as both singers turn is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
I just do the first name on the slip and the request goes on their pile and then only call the first name when it's their turn. If they bring someone with them then that's ok.

but when I call a person up they must sing the lead and not just the chorus. or next round they won't be called up again. I'm not into 1 person bringing in 3 non-singers and signing them up to sing only to have them stand on stage and look dumb while the other sings it for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
flees wrote:
For my shows duets count as both singer's turns for that rotation.

Why? That seems very unfair. When I get a slip from someone with 2 names on it for a duet, I'll tell them I need to put the song under one persons name. Either yours or the person your singing with. And there never is a problem with that.

The way I see it, you are getting a "turn". What you do with it is your business. Whether you want to sing alone, with another person or 10 other people is your business. It's your turn and you're free to do what you want with it. It's not taking anything away from other singers. Counting a duet as both singers turn is ridiculous.
Yes it's 'your' turn, but it can be (and have watched it happen countless times at other shows) where people that want to sing (Mary) get other people that probably don't want to sing to sign up under the other persons (John & Mary) name adding the 1st person as the duet. They get up and the 1st person (Mary) ultimately takes over the song while the 'other' person (John) stops altogether or sits back down.
I just watched that exact scenario happen a few times at a couple other shows I went to a few months back. At one show it was 1 girl up singing with several others, under her name and signed up as the secondary under 4 other names in which 2 of those signups she totally took over - and not a very good singer to boot, so while not only seeing this singer get up 5 times in the same round, we had to listen to her catterwalling 5 times to boot - we ended up leaving for both reasons. The other show was a guy, he would just jump up with anyone that would let him - although this is more of a KJ issue not regulating the singing area and getting jumpers off the mic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:10 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

mightywiz wrote:
I just do the first name on the slip and the request goes on their pile and then only call the first name when it's their turn. If they bring someone with them then that's ok.

but when I call a person up they must sing the lead and not just the chorus. or next round they won't be called up again. I'm not into 1 person bringing in 3 non-singers and signing them up to sing only to have them stand on stage and look dumb while the other sings it for them.
EXACTLY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
The other show was a guy, he would just jump up with anyone that would let him - although this is more of a KJ issue not regulating the singing area and getting jumpers off the mic.

I have cut off a song dead in it's tracks when that's happened. Got rid of the rude intruder and then started the song again for the singer. It doesn't happen often, but unless you're invited by the singer to join you, I will not let anyone "crash" the singers turn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Alan B wrote:
Lonman wrote:
The other show was a guy, he would just jump up with anyone that would let him - although this is more of a KJ issue not regulating the singing area and getting jumpers off the mic.

I have cut off a song dead in it's tracks when that's happened. Got rid of the rude intruder and then started the song again for the singer. It doesn't happen often, but unless you're invited by the singer to join you, I will not let anyone "crash" the singers turn.

Jumper-inners are the worst. If the singer is meek, they might be tempted to say it's okay. Stopping the song in its tracks is a great response.

I had a cartoon on the front of my book years ago depicting this situation. It showed a creepy-looking guy sidling in on the stage with a mike, and the singer (with a thought balloon) thinking, "I finally got up to sing, and now this loser's barging in."

The headline was, "Don't join in unless you're asked, and don't ask if you can join."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:52 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

CafeBar wrote:
I had a cartoon on the front of my book years ago depicting this situation. It showed a creepy-looking guy sidling in on the stage with a mike, and the singer (with a thought balloon) thinking, "I finally got up to sing, and now this loser's barging in."

The headline was, "Don't join in unless you're asked, and don't ask if you can join."
Can you post that, i'd like to steal it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
CafeBar wrote:

Can you post that, i'd like to steal it ;)

So would I.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The cartoon's long gone, and I created it out of a very cheap graphics program. I'll try to reproduce it.

Meanwhile, you're free to use the idea, and it'll probably look better than the original.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

It's considered rude to go up on stage while someone is singing and "crash" their performance. So remember:

Don't join in unless you're asked, and don't ask if you can join in.

Attachments:
loser 2.jpg
loser 2.jpg [ 176.56 KiB | Viewed 24905 times ]

Last edited by Alan B on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:22 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Alan, That's already better than the one I made.

Strangely enough, your 'creepy guy with the mike' looks almost identical to mine, going by memory. I built it from program called Print Shop Deluxe. There must be a stock 'creepy mike guy' look.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

for print 8.5 x 11. room on the bottom to add your logo.

Attachments:
loser for print.jpg
loser for print.jpg [ 210.17 KiB | Viewed 24896 times ]