KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Program reviews? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Program reviews?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
With Tricerasoft's demise, I'll be in the market for a new hosting solution. Been using JK2.0

I'm leaning heavy towards Siglos to lessen the learning curve for my hosts, but am open to others. PCDJ? MTU?

I'm really gonna miss that store! It was the only reason I chose JK2.0

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Program reviews?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:32 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Krisko wrote:
With Tricerasoft's demise, I'll be in the market for a new hosting solution. Been using JK2.0

I'm leaning heavy towards Siglos to lessen the learning curve for my hosts, but am open to others. PCDJ? MTU?

That shouldn't be the reason you choose software. Choose what is easy to use, works consistently, and does everything you need it to. I use Karma and love it. The guy who runs support can be an (@$%&#!), but even if he wasn't, that's not why I use it. Also, don't use it because someone recommends it. Everyone likes different things. Try it yourself before you buy it. I think all the major hosting apps have some type of trial mode so you can try them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
I use KJams 2 (Mac version) but you can also use your license for Windows.

They have Tricerasoft store built in but also KARAOKE.NET store showing you all the songs available. Current Library 6876 tracks available.

IMPORTANT; if you download the trial, be sure to change the naming structure to match your file names Adding the (spaces) where needed example: Disc-track - Artist - Title

For those that want to know:

1) open kjams
2) click KJams 2 > Preferences (located top left corner next to file)
3) click Tags (left side)
4) scan Meta Data "Use File Names"
5) under Conform Song Names Click edit. (Will bring up Name Parser Template)
6) Create the naming L-T - R - S
7) file > save.

You can choose this naming parser to correctly display "Disk-Track - Artist - Title"

Each purchase of KJams software grants user, TWO licenses and can be used for both windows or mac versions of the software.

They also have an app for Kiosk users can login and browse songs that auto cue to main player.

If you're looking for something more simple and user friendly then KARAFUN (windows version) is also a very smart choice.

Last edited by karaokeniagarafalls on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:20 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

KaraokeIan wrote:
Krisko wrote:

That shouldn't be the reason you choose software. Choose what is easy to use, works consistently, and does everything you need it to. I use Karma and love it. The guy who runs support can be an <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>, but even if he wasn't, that's not why I use it. Also, don't use it because someone recommends it. Everyone likes different things. Try it yourself before you buy it. I think all the major hosting apps have some type of trial mode so you can try them all.

Just a quick note to those interested in using the KARMA software.
The minimum system requirements for display must be set higher than 1024x768 or Karma will not install. 1280x1024 is recommended display setting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:25 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I've used kjams in the past, and it's incredibly functional and Dave is so awesome to deal with, I just found it hard to train people how to use. That's not to say I won't give it another shot though :)

I'm most interested to hear how people like MTU. I've never used it and it seems like a good all in one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:58 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
download the trial version and try out MTU for yourself. Some people swear by it. Personally I've never been able to figure out how to properly use it, even AFTER reading the manual which is why I will never buy it

-James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
HOster is what I've used since 08. Extremely. Easy to use. Tried the rest and still dowload demos of other products but still stay with Hoster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
Krisko wrote:

That shouldn't be the reason you choose software. Choose what is easy to use, works consistently, and does everything you need it to. I use Karma and love it. The guy who runs support can be an <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>, but even if he wasn't, that's not why I use it. Also, don't use it because someone recommends it. Everyone likes different things. Try it yourself before you buy it. I think all the major hosting apps have some type of trial mode so you can try them all.

I'm gonna second this... I have both Swift Elite, and Just Karaoke 2.0 plus the Server Request Tool 1.0. The software was not being supported before the death of the site (I asked about tempo for JK2.0, but there were no plans). SO no real reason to change up my software.

For the record, I have the MTU Hoster software, and I am just not comfortable with it. I know SE4.0 so well, and it works w/o a problem, that I keep forgetting I'm going to "switch" over.

I really don't know what must have additions are in the pipeline for karaoke, but for the most part, you can use Winamp with a plug in and still be relevant in the industry. Guess its just personal choice thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Personally I think you should just download the trial versions and test out the programs you are interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

there are so many choices for software. youtube many programs and watch video overviews and go from there.

my money is on Karafun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I used karafun for a total of about an hour... I drove me nuts that I couldn't turn off that background. Did they address that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:

For the record, I have the MTU Hoster software, and I am just not comfortable with it. I know SE4.0 so well, and it works w/o a problem, that I keep forgetting I'm going to "switch" over.
I think this can be said with most any program though. People tend to stick with what they know and are comfortable with. Hoster for me was SUPER easy to learn without the manual and what I didn't pick up on I learned in their forums. Every other program I try (and I do try new demos on new updates), still IMO aren't as easy to use.

Quote:
I really don't know what must have additions are in the pipeline for karaoke, but for the most part, you can use Winamp with a plug in and still be relevant in the industry. Guess its just personal choice thing.

I wouldn't use Winamp if that was my only choice, i'd go back to discs lol. At least recommend Karafun - it's free and does so much more than Winamp ever could think of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:48 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Krisko wrote:
I used karafun for a total of about an hour... I drove me nuts that I couldn't turn off that background. Did they address that?

You downloaded the app that has background music enabled. U can disable that in options.

The windows version has much better features for your needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I meant the background in the video. That weird 3d cloudy thing. I hated it lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
I just installed MTU Hoster. I don't KJ, but I've used three different KJs since then and none of them had any issues with it, and I'd be shocked if any of them cracked the manual.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
I use siglos and love it!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Lonman wrote:
I wouldn't use Winamp if that was my only choice, i'd go back to discs lol. At least recommend Karafun - it's free and does so much more than Winamp ever could think of.

I wouldn't really either, nor would I ever recommend it... As a full time KJ, it is waay too bare bones to function in any professional capacity. But that fact that someone COULD use it simply means there isn't any bomb dropping new ideas in the karaoke industry that absolutely requires new software.

If you want support, that is a completely different animal :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
+1 on MTU Hoster I have been using it since 2009 not one crash or issue ever.
Any software has learning curves once you get the ripping, naming format down it is quite easy.
I taught a substitute KJ how to use it in less than 10 mins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:09 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's gonna be down to MTU and Siglos.

I appreciate the options!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
I wouldn't really either, nor would I ever recommend it... As a full time KJ, it is waay too bare bones to function in any professional capacity. But that fact that someone COULD use it simply means there isn't any bomb dropping new ideas in the karaoke industry that absolutely requires new software.

Agree. The basic functions of tracking the rotation and the ability to play music, karaoke, and videos hasn't changed much.

The things that should matter to the KJ are:

- Does it do everything you need it to? (most important)
- The user interface (does it make sense to you? Important if you need to train other KJs)
- Is it reliable? (why you should thoroughly test them all)
- Does it save you time? (fast song search and singer assignment, etc...)
- Audio quality, especially with key changer (important to those with an ear for it)

I have other features I personally like, but didn't add them because I can see others having different priorities, but I don't think there is too much debate that those 5 things should be important to all KJs when it comes to picking a show hosting app.

You'll hear from KJs in every camp on which is "best". Just like buying car, go test drive all the ones you like so that YOU know. Just because Johnny likes his 2002 Camaro, doesn't necessarily mean its the right car for you. I used to be the kind of person who would ask others on buying decisions, but I've learned that it usually leads to buyers remorse, and it's too late once you've spent your money. Also, software is better than most buying decisions because they all have trial versions or a trial mode. Where else can you take all the time you want to play with all of your options in the comfort of your own home?