KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - From Jewel Case to Paper Sleeve (CDG Storage) Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 48 times
... Hello KS Members! Time has surely passed since I've posted anything here. Hope everyone has been doing well!

... Am thinking this subject has been covered before but am not sure where it's located and I guess, I'm just too lazy to search for it. So, here it is:

... Several years back, I started reorganizing my Karaoke Disc Collection by taking the discs out of the jewel cases and putting them into paper sleeves. They've always been kept in 18 gallon rubbermaid containers in a climate controlled room. Just wanted to consolidate my collection. On the flip side, it does take time doing this (the size of my library, both KJ & DJ) because I not only have to label the sleeves but am also trying to keep the artwork (in a separate stacks organized by manufacturer and in numerical order). Mainly just wanting to get rid of the bulkiness of the Jewel Case.

...Any pros or cons to storing them in the paper sleeves and putting them rubbermaid containers? Thanks!

Attachments:
CDG Pic1.JPG
CDG Pic1.JPG [ 428.21 KiB | Viewed 24151 times ]
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Be sure to stand them on edge and not flat. Ink on some CD's will stick or separate over time and stick to whatever surface it is touching. Pressure seems to move this process along more quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:33 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
I still have approx 4000+ here too in bins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Be sure to stand them on edge and not flat. Ink on some CD's will stick or separate over time and stick to whatever surface it is touching. Pressure seems to move this process along more quickly.

... Although I've never thought about that. Ironically, that's how I have been storing them, the ones I've done. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:10 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

You know they do have 400cd storage binders available. Best way to store them. Thats how I store the SoundChoice disks.
Attachment:
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG [ 117.44 KiB | Viewed 24114 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
You know they do have 400cd storage binders available. Best way to store them. Thats how I store the SoundChoice disks.
Attachment:
IMG_0005.JPG

I used to store mine in these binders but I did have a few where the ink stuck to the plastic sleeve.
Now I use metal boxes that have racks and they all hang/stand up vertically. And no plastic on the sleeves
that touch the disc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
chrisavis wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:
... Although I've never thought about that. r, that's how I have been storing them, the ones I've done. Thanks!
I store all mine (about 8000) on their edges, and I have never had any of them damaged that way. If you put them in binders then you need to stand the binders on edge like a book on a library shelf. Even then the plastic pages will eventually stick to the cd and cause the label side to pin hole.

As usual KNF is giving bad advice of storing them in binders. It has been stated multiple times, by numerous people, that the cd's may stick to the pages and cause damage to the cd.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
mrmarog wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:
... Although I've never thought about that. r, that's how I have been storing them, the ones I've done. Thanks!
I store all mine (about 8000) on their edges, and I have never had any of them damaged that way. If you put them in binders then you need to stand the binders on edge like a book on a library shelf. Even then the plastic pages will eventually stick to the cd and cause the label side to pin hole.

As usual KNF is giving bad advice of storing them in binders. It has been stated multiple times, by numerous people, that the cd's may stick to the pages and cause damage to the cd.

I concur. I have bought out a bunch of former KJ's and singer collectors. In practically every case where they stored in binders, some number of discs stuck to the plastic sleeves.

In some cases it was obvious something was spilled, or they were used in a smoking environment and the tar particulate built up. But in plenty of other cases, the discs just stuck for whatever reason.

I have long since dumped the big binders in favor of vinyl sleeves or I leave them in the original crystal case and everything is stored in large, wooden CD storage cases.

On a side note, I actually do keep the crystal cases for resale down the line.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:51 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:

You're never gonna take them out once you're done ripping them to your PC. Why bother. They do also have those As seen on tv CD storage drawers if you want them untouched.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
They still get stuck in the sleeves over time. Even if they don't get taken out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
I've always used Univenture Modified Jewl Pack 30821. Ink doesn't stick and easier to get the cd in and out. Nice than paper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013KDNXZC

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Leave it in its original jewel cases, cd spindle case boxes, plastic protectors, anything but cd binder cases. They stick to the liners. Most of my sc collection accumulated pinholes - gradual deterioration when they were stored in the binders. They’re now in slim cd storage cases. Here’s a screen shot of a couple of most sought after cds in the market enough to make a grown man cry. I know – shame on me. :oops:
Attachment:
8125.png
8125.png [ 621.63 KiB | Viewed 24034 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
My preferred storage: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/cd-dvdslim ... roduct:1:1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:

me as well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
You're never gonna take them out once you're done ripping them to your PC. Why bother. They do also have those As seen on tv CD storage drawers if you want them untouched.
Brian A wrote:
Leave it in its original jewel cases, cd spindle case boxes, plastic protectors, anything but cd binder cases. They stick to the liners. Most of my sc collection accumulated pinholes - gradual deterioration when they were stored in the binders. They’re now in slim cd storage cases. Here’s a screen shot of a couple of most sought after cds in the market enough to make a grown man cry. I know – shame on me. :oops:
According to KNF it doesn't matter if they get damaged... gee that sounds good to me :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

... Appreciate the replies! As far as the CD Binders? Owned several over the past few decades. Some fell apart or got damaged. I actually still have around 8 brand news that I either purchased or had gifted to me over the last several years. It always seemed like a good idea but they all seem to end with the same results, sticking to the discs.

... Not meaning to go completely off subject here or looking for any sympathy but it's been a rough year for me. My mother unexpectedly passed away on Dec. 19th, 2015. She was a very active individual and such a sweet soul. My other business has kept me very busy. Plus, my Dad who is Diabetic for 50+ years, had some medical related issues just in these past two months (in and out of the hospitals). Almost lost him but he's came back around and still working at age 80, incredible!

... Oddly enough, since being back in the business for the last several years now, 2015 was my best year. However, with all of that's been going on, I've had to cut back on my DJ/Karaoke Business in 2016. With that being said, I will not deny that I haven't thought about selling out the business, just so much going on. Really don't want to sell out but ...?

... Anyhow, thanks again for the replies!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:46 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Come on guys, it's a digital world now. Many ripping and renaming tools and cheap storage devices... when will you ever take a disk out of it's sleeve once you've ripped it on PC? I still have disks in binders 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Come on guys, it's a digital world now. Many ripping and renaming tools and cheap storage devices... when will you ever take a disk out of it's sleeve once you've ripped it on PC? I still have disks in binders 20 years.
That doesn't mean has to purposely F their discs up by sticking them in the sleeves. Stupidity!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times

I don't know why i bother, but we aren't talking about whether or not someone touches their discs.. We are talking about the fact that people who have stored their discs in binders has eventually suffered from DISC ROT or had discs destroyed because the label sticks to the vinyl sleeve. This has nothing to do about whether or not they get used, this has to do with the best way of preserving the discs you have.

-James

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Paper sleeves are not the end all either..

If you must use a sleeve, try to obtain the sleeves made of "Tyvek"

and not the "paper" ones.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Sleeves-W ... B000WXGWLQ