KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What makes a karaoke host a "professional"? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
MrBoo wrote:
Let's keep in mind Jim was asking based on how they can define professional. A show could easily end up being within their final criteria and it not be a "professional" (by our standards) show at all. They can't use IRS criteria or even business profit criteria. I am guessing they could ask for annual revenue earned but my point is that still might not be the best indicator. Number of shows a week? Number of systems? I think that is the kind of stuff he is looking for.

8) I don't see why you can't use the IRS standard for if a business is a hobby or a business? That is what you have to declare by law on your taxes. That is when I knew my hobby was no longer a hobby but a business. You are right he is trying to find out the number of systems, the number of shows, so he will know how much he can collect. The more you use the more you owe, right?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
Let's keep in mind Jim was asking based on how they can define professional. A show could easily end up being within their final criteria and it not be a "professional" (by our standards) show at all. They can't use IRS criteria or even business profit criteria. I am guessing they could ask for annual revenue earned but my point is that still might not be the best indicator. Number of shows a week? Number of systems? I think that is the kind of stuff he is looking for.

8) I don't see why you can't use the IRS standard for if a business is a hobby or a business? That is what you have to declare by law on your taxes. That is when I knew my hobby was no longer a hobby but a business. You are right he is trying to find out the number of systems, the number of shows, so he will know how much he can collect. The more you use the more you owe, right?

I don't think so. Getting into controls of this nature, especially given the finite nature of the product being licensed, would be pushing over the line of product license and into franchising. Of course, I am of the school of thought that believes that charging more for a product, just because someone is using it as one of many tools to help create income, especially when the cost to create the product is no different, has to be scrutinized...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mightywiz wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Seems to me that I and a few other members here have some Certifications from American DJ!
we all did jumped in and did the certifications around the same time!

8) Certification for DJ not KJ, is that one of those schools like American School of Broadcasting? Is there still certification from American DJ? When is the last time someone asked to see your certification? In almost 20 years of hosting no one ever asked to see my certification, just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
As anticipated, the response to this query is wide and varied. It is also relative to each independent businessperson's opinion and experience. This is the way it SHOULD be in this type of environment. I do find it strange that there is more HOW responses to this questions, and no one really asking WHY it is being asked. Again, this is a tool licensor attempting to dictate to a craftsman how to use the tool. That kind of positioning is akin to franchise activities.

I challenge everyone to come up with any examples of a licensed product that goes to this extent to control its use, short of being a franchiser...

As I said in the original post, please do not make this into an anti-SC thread. This is not about the brand or our activities.

I will, however, point out that our brand includes not just the tools (the songs) but how they are used (karaoke entertainment services). So the manner in which our licensees perform their services is relevant to the brand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
If you're ask back a second time, you're a professional. lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

southernsounds4u wrote:

8) Not if the first performance was a freebie to get your foot in the door.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
southernsounds4u wrote:

8) Not if the first performance was a freebie to get your foot in the door.

If you got a free dinner and it sucked, would you eat it again ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Depends on how hungry you are.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:57 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Depends on how hungry you are.

even if you had to pay for it ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) If you can pay for it you can get what you want, beggars can't be choosers usually.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 172 times
mrmarog wrote:
TopherM wrote:
Anyone who gets paid to do karaoke is a professional karaoke host. At least by definition :wink:

"At least by definition" is a necessary clarification. We have all seen many hosts that get paid that are far from professional.... anyway by my standards.

You can't single out Karaoke Hosting. Of the thousands of endeavors, which society deems as professional, the quality of such persons, has quite a range.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:19 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Being a "professional" involves all aspects in relation to "Karaoke as a profession" including posting in forums, advertising on facebook, twitter. Etc.

KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL all the time.

Something to keep in mind as a karaoke professional... "we live karaoke" it's karaoke everywhere we go, we eat, sleep drink, dream karaoke. It's in our blood.

When someone makes a negative comment about karaoke, then it is our job as professionals to Diffuse and Resolve.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Something to keep in mind as a karaoke professional... "we live karaoke" it's karaoke everywhere we go, we eat, sleep drink, dream karaoke. It's in our blood.

I agree with KNF regarding this statement. Being retired and no day job it’s always karaoke day in & day out, I am consumed, i.e., updating library, reading reviews on the latest gear, doing rig maintenance, etc.

“I have no life but this, to lead it here, nor any death but lest, dispelled from there”. A poem by Emily Dickinson. My translation - I just need to appreciate what I love most before death takes it all away. :lol:
Am I a karaoke professional? I really hope so. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Brian A wrote:

I agree with KNF regarding this statement.

Thanks for agreeing with KNF. Did you know that she used to be my wife? But we couldn't work together. We couldn't agree on the best way to do the rotation so she left me and moved to Canada to do karaoke on her own.

Just kidding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Brian A wrote:
“I have no life but this, to lead it here, nor any death but lest, dispelled from there”. A poem by Emily Dickinson. My translation - I just need to appreciate what I love most before death takes it all away. :lol:

Brian, you put most of us to shame, and I mean it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Brian A wrote:

Brian, you put most of us to shame, and I mean it!

Wow, mrmarog, I'm :oops: thanks, tho’ I know that’s not even remotely possible because I get all my karaoke tips here at the forum. You are one of the few kjs here who gives me sound advice. But - I appreciate and grateful for the compliment. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:

I agree with KNF regarding this statement.

Thanks for agreeing with KNF. Did you know that she used to be my wife? But we couldn't work together. We couldn't agree on the best way to do the rotation so she left me and moved to Canada to do karaoke on her own.

Just kidding.

Alan, I did not know that. Well, good thing she left you all her karaoke equipment so you can continue hosting. :lol: (kidding)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Brian A wrote:
Alan, I did not know that. Well, good thing she left you all her karaoke equipment so you can continue hosting. :lol: (kidding)

Gee... I thought that all she left him was her KaraFun subscription.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
Brian A wrote:

Gee... I thought that all she left him was her KaraFun subscription.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Brian A wrote:
... I get all my karaoke tips here at the forum. ...

that is what makes this so great, you can get a tidbit from this person, and one from this person, and another from that person....
wow...that sounds dirtier than i meant it. :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next