KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What makes a karaoke host a "professional"? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Now you have a new nickname.

Chris "MacGyver" Avis.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:37 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
I am not even a KJ, and you are now my hero, Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I had one of my most memorable and fun evenings hosting that I have ever had. Every thing went perfectly and all 30 of my singers were eager to sing and have fun. I usually sing at the beginning of each new rotation, but last night I did not have to because my singers were singing great dance songs all night!!

I recently added a "fill speaker" at the back of the room, and ever since I did I no longer get complaints of the sound being too loud or that the people in the rear can't hear well enough. I run that speaker wireless. I also added 2 laser lights to my lighting and have them aimed at the ceiling and I received tons of compliments on the lights last night.

I had 2 new singers under 30 that were absolutely blown away with how much fun they had. Both of them sung songs from the 50's and did a great job with them.

I am in the beginning of "snow bird season" so it will be like this or bigger until April. It was difficult getting to sleep last night because I kept thinking about the fun every one had.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrmarog wrote:

I am in the beginning of "snow bird season" so it will be like this or bigger until April. It was difficult getting to sleep last night because I kept thinking about the fun every one had.

8) You are just starting your "snow bird season" now Mrmarog? Snowbird season in the Inland Empire starts around September and continues until April. Then there is a slow Summer season from July until September. That is changing since more of the snow birds are staying year round.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

8) You are just starting your "snow bird season" now Mrmarog? Snowbird season in the Inland Empire starts around September and continues until April. Then there is a slow Summer season from July until September. That is changing since more of the snow birds are staying year round.

The season starts on Thanksgiving, but officially kicks into warp drive Feb 1 and stays supersonic until Easter. It is busy earlier and later than those dates, but nothing like it is in "high season"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Expect it to get more so over the next 12 to 15 years, since 10,000 additional baby boomers will be retiring everyday for at least that many years. I know that is your target market, just like it was mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrmarog wrote:
It was difficult getting to sleep last night because I kept thinking about the fun every one had.

The hi-energy show you described, tho’ exhausted can also make me stay up all night, recollecting that we (my wife & I) ‘delivered’ all that fun & excitement. :lol: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Expect it to get more so over the next 12 to 15 years, since 10,000 additional baby boomers will be retiring everyday for at least that many years. I know that is your target market, just like it was mine.

Mine too! My audience as well; 70% baby-boomers - among the best customers hell-bent on having a great time (life is short, got to get the most out of it). :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrmarog wrote:
The season starts on Thanksgiving, but officially kicks into warp drive Feb 1 and stays supersonic until Easter. It is busy earlier and later than those dates, but nothing like it is in "high season"

Which part of Florida are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

Sarasota, 60 miles south of Tampa.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrmarog wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

Sarasota, 60 miles south of Tampa.

Then I will try to come see you when I'm in Florida next month. I don't believe that's too far from Venice, Port Charlotte, or Ft. Myers in the grand scheme of things, and that's where I'll be for one week for work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I went and set up my equipment for tomorrow night's show, and the owner informed me that every seat in the house (103) was reserved, and there is a waiting list of about 30. Some people will show up anyway, and we do have a bar up front that can hold 60 additional people. The problem is that they can't hear their names being called or hear the music (clearly).

I have an unofficial policy, that all the regulars are familiar with, that I will start the show early if I have 15 singers signed up. I am betting that will be 45 minutes early tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:33 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
A KJ I know always used to say "Sure we have all these songs, but we could host with maybe a hundred and still pull it off".

That 50 song thing... we did something like that as an April Fools joke a while back... Honestly it was a weekday gig though.

My group is pretty used to me pulling silly stuff like that. We had a ball, and surprisingly, everyone went along with it... Best was 2 drunk guys singing a children's song and really] getting into it... :D

Would I have done this on one of my crazy weekend nights? Nope, but it was fun to see what singers would do with a limited catalog... and a few started singing those songs after the night was over because they got "out of the box".

We are there to be entertainers, it's what we are PAID to do. After all, why would they come to to support me if I was a boring downer??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Last night was as perfect as it gets. About 120 guests in a room that seats 103. I had over 100 people in attendance 45 minutes before my official start time of 7 pm. At 6:20 I started my show with 20 singers in cue.

I hit a maximum of 36 singers and everyone sang 2 songs (2 had left after first rotation) and finished my show at 10:05. I received tons of compliments on how efficiently I got through all the singers. Seventy songs in 3 hours and 40 minutes.

Correction: 69 songs in 3 hours and 45 minutes...... I did not sing second round. That comes out to 18.4 songs per hour, 3.26 minutes between singers including getting up and down from stage.