KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Top 5 Songs of 2016 Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Top 5 Songs of 2016
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
Marty Robbins Don't worry
Girl Crush
Turn the page
Pontoon
Play that funky music white boy (because I end every show with this one)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
southernsounds4u wrote:
Marty Robbins Don't worry
Girl Crush
Turn the page
Pontoon
Play that funky music white boy (because I end every show with this one)

Turn the Page gets sung way too often and is almost 5 minutes long. It is a slow boring song, and when I play it, I speed it up 10 to 15 % and the singers never notice it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I get Turn The Page maybe once every couple months, and usually it's the Metallica version

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
jclaydon wrote:
I would LOVE to work at a family restaurant. I know over 200 people from my church with familys and every time i've hosted a karaoke party and invited them, practically all of them show up. It's total chaos.

I've tried to convey this to all the restaurants etc, but no one seems convinced that it is worth trying, even on a once a month basis.

I always get the same sentiments from restaurants as well but if you're willing to do this: offer them a one freebie night, no cost to them just to try, then invite all your friends & regulars.

That's how I got job. This restaurant was unyielding in-spite of all urging until they heard that magic word "free". One night free of charge. I gave them a complete karaoke set-up, lights et al. All my regulars showed up & it was a blast. 'got hired on the spot and 7 years later I'm still here every Fri & Sat.

Side note: Another benefit – you can command a premium price for your service because now they’ve seen what you can do to increase their profitability. Good luck, jc!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

My restaurant was in a dry county, still had a few slipping outside to take a nip, but I always had a good crowd twice a week for karaoke, the downside was that some would get there 3 or 4 hours early to get good seats and sit and drink cold drinks for 7-8 hours for $1.99 and didn't eat, my place set 200 people, most karaoke nights we'd have over 100 show up for a family friendly show. After two years of me being open and losing over $100K, I shut it down and leased it out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
southernsounds4u wrote:
......the downside was that some would get there 3 or 4 hours early to get good seats and sit and drink cold drinks for 7-8 hours for $1.99 and didn't eat..... After two years of me being open and losing over $100K, I shut it down and leased it out.

Water sippers could be a problem. We had our share of them in our restaurant. Customers with their friends ordering bottled water or just glass of tap water and stay the whole 5 hour stretch. Some don’t even buy at all. Just hang out and sing.

We serve beer & wine, no hard liquor and of course, the management's aware of the non-alcoholic drinkers and designated drivers; but the restaurant serves all kinds of food from appetizers and/or full course meal at reasonable prices. Also, it kind of influence other paying customers not to buy either: “why buy when other non-paying customers are allowed to sing?”.

Finally, the manager put out a sign on each table “We require a minimum order of $10.00 per person, food, and/or drinks during karaoke nights”. That took care of that.

btw, not my idea. I told the manager it’s not my job to monitor or enforce that rule.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:16 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I started a small cover charge for folks that didn't eat only $2 as this was a poor town, and my crowd dropped my 30% or so. I had some that would order water, get a bowl of sliced lemons and make lemonade, even had some would order a small salad and steal a purse full of crackers.