KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Dale Carnegie Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dale Carnegie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
mrmarog wrote:
BigJer wrote:
Names are challenging for me as well, yet they are absolutely critical.

I have been toying with the idea of a singer scrapbook.

1) log name
2) photograph singer
3) matchup names with singers.
4) create virtual scrApbook to review on computer to help.learn names

Right now, I just try trick of repeating name 3 times while I talk to singer. It helps, but it isn't perfect.

Another trick to picture singer in imagination in a way that helps you remember.

e.g. "Derek"

I picture Derek dressed as a Dominoes delivery driver. Dominoes hat on head. Dominoes in one hand. Dominoes pizza in other. Derek and the Dominoes. I recall Derek pretty easily.

But there are still problems. I met a young girl name Tamiko a few weeks back.

Sounds Japanese, but she's a Caucasian girl with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes

I saw her today and couldn't recall anything except she had a Japanese name, but I couldn't recall the actual name.

"Picasa" by Google (it's a free photo app) has a great facial recognition program that will greatly help in keeping names with faces.

Thank you!! I'll look into it!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball wrote:
BigJer wrote:
....But there are still problems. I met a young girl name Tamiko a few weeks back.

Sounds Japanese, but she's a Caucasian girl with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes

I saw her today and couldn't recall anything except she had a Japanese name, but I couldn't recall the actual name.

There was a young girl named Tamiko....

Finish the Limerick and you'll never forget that one again.

That's hilarious, but it might just work!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
I once met a girl named Tamiko
On Friday to karaoke we'd all go
While singing a song
she sang all the words wrong
Then I found out that she was from Mexico.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
cueball wrote:
BigJer wrote:
....But there are still problems. I met a young girl name Tamiko a few weeks back.

There once was a girl named Tamiko
Who seemed to be awfully meek-o
We went on a date
And stayed up quite late
Turns out she's a bit of a freak-o.

I'm here all week.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
There once was a girl named Tamiko,
Whose name the KJ couldn't speak, so,
She went right down the street,
Some new people to meet,
And learn how to dance the flamenco...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
JimHarrington wrote:
cueball wrote:
BigJer wrote:

Who seemed to be awfully meek-o
We went on a date
And stayed up quite late
Turns out she's a bit of a freak-o.

I'm here all week.

SOME people, which does not include me, may consider altering words to a form which could be interpreted as simulating a stereotypical mimicking of characteristics of an indigenous language, to be a bit racist. But it is all okay if one voted for Trump...oh, not so much? I guess then, one could conclude such a person to be an "ah so"...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
SOME people, which does not include me, may consider altering words to a form which could be interpreted as simulating a stereotypical mimicking of characteristics of an indigenous language, to be a bit racist. But it is all okay if one voted for Trump...oh, not so much? I guess then, one could conclude such a person to be an "ah so"...

The candidate I voted for in the recent election is no one's business but mine.

I am fairly certain that everyone who knows me knows that my intention was simply to match the meter and to make a rhyme, not to "mimic characteristics of an indigenous language," and certainly not to imply any racial overtones. There are not many English words that rhyme with "Tamiko," as your attempt demonstrated. However, I did not consider the perspective you suggested, so, thanks for pointing it out, and I'll be more careful in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
KaraokeIan wrote:
Dale Carnegie is what I call a "fake promoter". He encourages people to fake their true feelings, all in an effort to complete what he thinks is the ultimate goal in life, to get people to like you. If you can sleep at night knowing that people may only like you because you mimic words in a book, then more power to you. Here's the thing. Not all people want you to tell them what they want to hear. I personally like people who are honest and don't follow a script in a book. In fact, if I ever find out that someone has read any of his books, I instantly have a very high distrust of that person, because I then know that they believe in the art of bullshitting people to make their way through life.

Life is about doing what you believe in, and if bullshitting people is what you believe in, to me, that's not a very honorable life.

Have you ever taken a Dale Carnegie course? I bet you never have because your objections to him are way off course. Is being genuine truly listening and showing a real concern for people b/s? That is what they try to teach you not quoting from a book. The books are a small part of the course. You cannot realize the true benefit of a Dale Carnegie course by just reading the books.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Kuelman1 wrote:
KaraokeIan wrote:
Dale Carnegie is what I call a "fake promoter". He encourages people to fake their true feelings, all in an effort to complete what he thinks is the ultimate goal in life, to get people to like you. If you can sleep at night knowing that people may only like you because you mimic words in a book, then more power to you. Here's the thing. Not all people want you to tell them what they want to hear. I personally like people who are honest and don't follow a script in a book. In fact, if I ever find out that someone has read any of his books, I instantly have a very high distrust of that person, because I then know that they believe in the art of bullshitting people to make their way through life.

Life is about doing what you believe in, and if bullshitting people is what you believe in, to me, that's not a very honorable life.

Have you ever taken a Dale Carnegie course? I bet you never have because your objections to him are way off course. Is being genuine truly listening and showing a real concern for people b/s? That is what they try to teach you not quoting from a book. The books are a small part of the course. You cannot realize the true benefit of a Dale Carnegie course by just reading the books.

That's probably very true about getting more benefit from taking the course, but even just reading them has been very good for me. I would love to take the course some day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
Who came in with a fellow named Rico,
They'd smoke a few bongs,
And sing a few songs,
And then they'd pronounce it 'kariko.'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
doowhatchulike wrote:

Lighten up, dude. He's just trying to make it rhyme.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you look hard enough for micro-aggressions, you are sure to find them everywhere. Political Correctness has gone way over the edge in my humblest of opinions. It's like you're not allowed to tell a joke unless it's about martians....but then someone will extrapolate that to be about any kind of alien including the illegal kind. "sigh"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I once met a girl
named Tamiko
the English
she could not
well speak-O

She wore a coat
made of Mink
So I Bought
her a drink
oh how l love the
girls in Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Met a lady named Tamiko
Her favorite coconut water was Zico.
She never tried the rest,
but to determine the best,
she applied the process known as PICO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
There once was a girl named Flo
Who preferred a stiff drink Mojito
Hang out with friends Berto & Alfonso
And now she’s a mother of two
Let this be a lesson to you!

(beg your pardon) name changed due to promiscuity overtone.
But hey, it’s a limerick! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:15 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
This book should be required reading. I have provided my sons and grandsons with copies of this book while in high school. I have given copies to many people who are in sales. It is no accident that corporations have spent millions sending their employees through Carnegie Courses. The $10 book contains what a $1000 course teaches. You will find that students of Carnegie LISTEN, and listening is a skill that can be learned, but too many people do not have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

dadman wrote:
This book should be required reading. I have provided my sons and grandsons with copies of this book while in high school. I have given copies to many people who are in sales. It is no accident that corporations have spent millions sending their employees through Carnegie Courses. The $10 book contains what a $1000 course teaches. You will find that students of Carnegie LISTEN, and listening is a skill that can be learned, but too many people do not have.

That pretty much covers how I've felt about the books.

When I used to sell insurance, I once had to tell a lady her daughter no longer had insurance because she had hit 26 years of age and was no longer covered on her mom's policy.

She went absolutely ballistic on me and no matter what I said, nothing would calm her anger. She was convinced I was the biggest crook on the face of the earth and demanded to see my manager.

I told him the story and he and I went back out to the house with the agreement he was going to do all the talking.

We went in and she was still boiling mad. So he just let her vent all her anger. After she finally calmed down he explained to her that I had told her the truth and that I'd done herva favor.

We ended up writing insurance for her daughter and after that she was always glad to see me and it was all because he let her vent her spleen and let her know that he understood her and why she was angry.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

dadman wrote:

That pretty much covers how I've felt about the books.

When I used to sell insurance, I once had to tell a lady her daughter no longer had insurance because she had hit 26 years of age and was no longer covered on her mom's policy.

She went absolutely ballistic on me and no matter what I said, nothing would calm her anger. She was convinced I was the biggest crook on the face of the earth and demanded to see my manager.

I told him the story and he and I went back out to the house with the agreement he was going to do all the talking.

We went in and she was still boiling mad. So he just let her vent all her anger. After she finally calmed down he explained to her that I had told her the truth and that I'd done her a favor.

We ended up writing insurance for her daughter and after that she was always glad to see me and it was all because he let her vent her spleen and let her know that he understood her and why she was angry.

At the time what he did seemed like pure magic. After reading Carnegie years later it suddenly all made sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
JimHarrington wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

The candidate I voted for in the recent election is no one's business but mine.

I am fairly certain that everyone who knows me knows that my intention was simply to match the meter and to make a rhyme, not to "mimic characteristics of an indigenous language," and certainly not to imply any racial overtones. There are not many English words that rhyme with "Tamiko," as your attempt demonstrated. However, I did not consider the perspective you suggested, so, thanks for pointing it out, and I'll be more careful in the future.

I did not see anything wrong with your post in any way. Some people can be so anal. In fact, yours was the only one that gave me a chuckle. Happy New Year, Jim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
I once met a girl
named Tamiko
the English
she could not
well speak-O