KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Not enough room for me with all the KJs in my area Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Very noob, here...
For now my area is saturated with Karaoke providers to pubs, night clubs, etc. just about every night of the week. So I'm slowly building up a nice set-up that I can play with in my shop.(nearly 1000 square feet and 16' walls) By the way, it's far more powerful and elaborate than any of the set ups I've seen in the area(see my signature below) I'll have to just do it as a hobby for now, and settle for entertaining family and friends in my own private "Shop of Rock" Karaoke club. I love to sing and goof off, so it's good for me.

Attachments:
12360429_10207470844387850_68647881011679790_n.jpg
12360429_10207470844387850_68647881011679790_n.jpg [ 84.52 KiB | Viewed 26758 times ]

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:33 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
You gotta go to work work work!! Get out there and kick a few tires. You never know how you look til' you get your picture took.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
There are bound to be many subpar KJs in your area. Scout a few shows and find a decent venue with a subpar host and offer to do them a show for free to get your foot in the door. There are never too many KJs if you are running a quality show!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Both, great advice, thanks...
I have thought of providing some free service, just to get the ball rolling, (at one place I have in mind) where Karaoke has been tried numerous times, but always failed. So they might be open to some free entertainment to see how it goes. It would have to be on the weekend as they are super-dead the rest of the week. They very seldom have any entertainment on the weekend, but maybe some free Karaoke could liven' the joint up a bit.
I would be willing to do it numerous times for free, if they'd have me, just to see if the interest could be revived.
I'm definitely not thinking I could quit my day job, and mainly would be doing it for the enjoyment the singing can bring to others, like it has for me.

Mark

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I just moved back to where I was for a couple of reasons, 1) the girl I moved out to be with ended up not working out and 2) basically every bar in the area that wanted karaoke already had a show and every bar that didn't have karaoke didn't want it. I gave up a show where I am now for someone that I should have just passed up and stuck to running my show. The person who replaced me on the night that I was there has basically run the show into the ground. The bar is doing better with the host on Friday night than it's doing on Thursday and Saturday nights. The host doing it on Thursday and Saturday is using You Tube for his library while the Friday night host uses a combination of hard drive and KaraFun streaming service for her show. I am considering switching softwares so that I can do a combination of formats. Personally I could have saved money if Tricerasoft hadn't been forced to pull their subscription service out of the United States because I liked the way they dealt with the streaming of the songs by downloading the songsame temporarily before they played. I don't have the money right now to make the switch to the software that I want to switch to until February unless I can get a show before then. I know that I will have to go and fix some songs names in the database because I have several different naming conventions for my songs but that hasn't stopped me before. I had to do it with the software that I use now. And no I am not considering KaraFun as it does not have a real rotation feature to it. That is one feature that I don't want to give up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) It is not just the number of shows, but it is also economic conditions of today. Many bars and and other venues that once featured karaoke shows have either gone out of business, or have cut their entertainment budgets to the bone. They are experimenting with different ways to deliver the service provided once by the independent karaoke vendor. If you have a household budget the first thing you cut is entertainment, same with a business. I know in my area which is over 50% retired for along time the effects of the current economy really didn't hurt local bars, nightclubs, and private clubs. There has been a change since I retired a little over 2 years ago. The people that go out and party are fewer and fewer, since they either don't have the money, or the smokers and drinkers have slowly died off, or moved. There are many forces putting pressure on the modern KJ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:40 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Seems to me there's way more Karaoke in my area in the last year or two than ever....it's hard to find a place that doesn't have it......by the way, what is the going rate for a night of Karaoke?....I'm having a feeling alot of you folks aren't likely getting fairly compensated for your hard work, and most of the ones I know, it's purely a sideline, as 1 or 2 nights a week surely cannot pay the bills.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
moopa wrote:
Seems to me there's way more Karaoke in my area in the last year or two than ever....it's hard to find a place that doesn't have it......by the way, what is the going rate for a night of Karaoke?....I'm having a feeling alot of you folks aren't likely getting fairly compensated for your hard work, and most of the ones I know, it's purely a sideline, as 1 or 2 nights a week surely cannot pay the bills.

Mark

$200/night minimum for a 4 hour run.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:43 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

chrisavis wrote:
moopa wrote:

Mark

So that's about $268 Canadian...I suppose a few nights a week would make it fun for some extra$$$ I would have to go into it with the mindset of not expecting a windfall, but to have fun and put on a good show where people would keep coming back...then if it made money, great!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
moopa wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
moopa wrote:

Mark

So that's about $268 Canadian...I suppose a few nights a week would make it fun for some extra$$$ I would have to go into it with the mindset of not expecting a windfall, but to have fun and put on a good show where people would keep coming back...then if it made money, great!

I can say with reasonable certainly that unless you are working in a town with tourism, there is no way any bar or restaurant is going to pay $268 Canadian for a regular karaoke show. $200 maybe if you were an established proven host like Chris already is.

The trend I've seen pretty much all over Canada is that people just aren't going out as much as they used to, mostly because they can't afford to. There are a couple of exceptions of course.

However, despite all that I am certainly not the vetran that the majority of people on here are so if you truly feel that is what your worth, then that's what you should try to charge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

jclaydon wrote:
moopa wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
moopa wrote:

Mark

I can say with reasonable certainly that unless you are working in a town with tourism, there is no way any bar or restaurant is going to pay $268 Canadian for a regular karaoke show. $200 maybe if you were an established proven host like Chris already is.

The trend I've seen pretty much all over Canada is that people just aren't going out as much as they used to, mostly because they can't afford to. There are a couple of exceptions of course.

However, despite all that I am certainly not the vetran that the majority of people on here are so if you truly feel that is what your worth, then that's what you should try to charge.

Oh no, I'd do it for free for a few times at least, and the if they want me back, then I'd worry about the charging part. If not, then at least a few of us would have had some fun, no harm no foul.We have tourism alright, but like I said before, the market is pretty saturated at the moment. I'm thinking that even at $200.00 Canadian,the clubs would be hard pressed to pay that much. It just sounds like if it was any less, then I'd be doing for fun, any way, and the money is just a bonus. No way a guy could make a living at it unless it was every day of the week, especially if you have to set-up tear down and travel each night.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
moopa wrote:
Oh no, I'd do it for free for a few times at least, and the if they want me back, then I'd worry about the charging part.

I have no problem offering a free show. But NOT for a few times. That is not very business like and you will most likely be taken advantage of and labeled as cheap. It only takes one show for the owner to see what you've got and decide whether or not they like you.

Remember, bar owners are usually a cheap bunch and don't want to pay what you're worth. You can thank piracy and under-cutting KJ's for that.

A friend of mine who regularly comes out to my shows works at a club and asked me if I'd be interested in doing karaoke in the club's bar/restaurant. She said, I rather have you because you're the best in the area and that she would tell her boss about me.

I told her that I would initially do it for $150 for 4 hours. She said that was reasonable and would let me know when I could start. After not hearing from her for a few days, I called her to find out what's going on. She said that she was pi**ed because her boss hired someone else for $100.

I went to check them out. They use a little Radio Shack mixer that's like a toy and have the performer's monitor on their table so you have to face it instead of the audience. Needless to say, the quality of the wired mics also left a lot to be desired. And we won't even discuss the sound.

So, how is it working out? Well, the first week wasn't too bad because it was new. Second week; it was dead. I'm sure it won't last. And like anything else, you get what you pay for. Hold your ground. Don't be labeled a cheapo. And don't offer more than 1 free show. If they won't pay you what you're worth, find someone who will but don't settle or you'll regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:55 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
I really don't understand the logic of doing a free show. Whether a seasoned vet or a newbie to the business, doing anything for free or at a discounted price gives the venue the upper hand.

To be honest, when I first started, I did one show for free about 3 months into this business. It went well. I had no sound problems, computer issues, etc. I had about 20 singers (all invited by me) and the place was busy. I was congratulated by the owner at the end of the night and asked for a moment to go over my fee, etc. He said he was busy at the moment but would call me the next day to "finalize" the deal. Of course the next day comes and he doesn't contact me. I call and leave a few messages and nothing. I even go out of my way and stop by the venue the following day and he wouldn't even come out to speak with me.

Fast forward to exactly one week from my inaugural karaoke night and guess what? I walk into this same bar and, you guessed it, new karaoke host. I spot the owner and immediately confront him. His response was epic. He said; "Yeah, I've got about 5 or 10 different hosts who will hosting the next few months to see which one I like" Like an idiot, I ask him why he didn't return my calls after telling me what a great job I did, etc. He said, "I don't see any reason to spend any money now with you when these other guys are willing to do a show for free as well"

Needless to say, I was pissed. I told him that our initial conversation did not include an audition against other hosts and felt he was being dishonest. He disagreed and pretty much discarded me like an empty soda can. After a few more exchanges, I left the venue with my tail between my legs. I felt very humiliated and vowed to never put myself in that situation again.

Believe in what you do! There are no free rides in this world, and that includes Karaoke! If you start a business relationship with freebies and discounted rates, then prepare yourself for the same down the road. If you have a slow night, you will be offered a lower rate. If the z-tab comes up light at the end of the night then be prepared for more discounted rates, etc. It's just not good business.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) There maybe no time that is a good time for a free show, but I think there are exceptions to every rule. There can be a case for a free show depending on where the host is in their career. You see I retired from full time hosting about 2 years ago. I had been working six days a week, sometimes two shows a day for over 19 years. I had all the money I would ever need and I didn't feel there was anything left to prove. My partner of many years decided to quit, and that made up my mind. I still do free shows to raise money for causes I believe in, being a veteran and belonging to the American Legion and the VFW, I do free shows for vets. I just did a Christmas party for the poor children hosted by the American Legion, no charge. I have done free shows for disabled vets, homeless vets, in order to help raise money for those causes. Anytime a service group has asked me to do a show I have and not charged. Funny those shows had an unintended result, recently I was offered a job at a venue 4 days a week paid, I turned it down since I don't want to go back to the karaoke grind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Lone, doing a free show for a charitable organization is the exception to the rule.... if.... it is not an on going weekly show. If it is a special function by all means do it for free. If you do it every week and they have paying customers then you should be paid in return.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) All I meant was that sometimes doing free events can lead to paying jobs, that's all. This is another way to get exposure and demonstrate your product.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Free or reduced price gigs are just one way to gain exposure and build a brand. But I contend that it should only be a short term, temporary plan to get one's self established. After you build your brand, stop giving things away for free and charge what you are worth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
I will do a freebie show for 2 hrs just to get my foot in the door so to speak. One time & one time only. I’ll do a complete karaoke set-up, the works, lights and all; ‘invite all my friends and regulars. Sort of telling the manager ‘I want you to see what we can do to maybe improve your club’s profit margin.'

‘did it at Marie Callenders, got hired on the spot & kj’d there for about 5yrs. Same as in my current location & still there every Fri & Sat, 7 years & counting.

Only one instance when the club manager told me to come back next week for another freebie so the owner can see my performance. I told him no (had that feeling I’m being played). Three weeks later he called me telling me they’ll hire my services. ‘can’t do it, by then I was already working in another club.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The thing about doing a free show or two is, for a certain venue I have in mind(in my area) that does not do Karaoke now, because every time they've tried it ,it fails....they are not interested in trying again, assuming the cost is the biggest reason not to try again. I'd like to try it out, and if they want me back because it was a hit, fine, but it might take a time or two to tell. I'm not interested in stealing someone else's established business, rather making it work where no others want to do it. I like the venue, but feel it could use some entertainment to liven it up. Again, not being a pro, I don't see how it could hurt to get my foot in the door, and if it just ends up being a hobby, so be it....I'd just like to share what I have, spread the joy of singing, and I have the system to do it.( Just no experience).

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

moopa wrote:
The thing about doing a free show or two is, for a certain venue I have in mind(in my area) that does not do Karaoke now, because every time they've tried it ,it fails....they are not interested in trying again, assuming the cost is the biggest reason not to try again. I'd like to try it out, and if they want me back because it was a hit, fine, but it might take a time or two to tell. I'm not interested in stealing someone else's established business, rather making it work where no others want to do it. I like the venue, but feel it could use some entertainment to liven it up. Again, not being a pro, I don't see how it could hurt to get my foot in the door, and if it just ends up being a hobby, so be it....I'd just like to share what I have, spread the joy of singing, and I have the system to do it.( Just no experience).

Mark

8) I to have an aversion to going out to get some host's gig as a plan. If the venue owner comes to you then that is another story, this means they have heard about your show and want it at their place. This is a very competitive business but I think that if you apply the golden rule you will do alright. It can be very rewarding to establish a great karaoke show, where everyone wants to go. The problem is if you get too many singers there and it gets to be too long a wait, then they will go to an inferior show, just to sing more often. I never worried about the number of singers as long as I had a full bar, since that is where the money is generated. Not from patrons drinking water, or soda all night, and not buying food. You still sound idealistic good keep that for as long as you can. It might take much longer than a couple of shows to establish a gig firmly, it is a long haul and requires a great deal of sweat equity. A thing to always remember in this business is, you can have 100 good nights but only the bad one's are remembered, venue owners memories are short and you are only as good as the last time you played. The proof is in the pudding, I have been retired for some time now, but the shows that I started for the most part are still going strong, even without me there. That is the real standard I apply to venues with solid karaoke shows. Good Luck.