KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Booked my first wedding Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Take the word "deposit" out of your vocabularies and your contracts

"Deposits" are legally always refundable under certain conditions

"Reservation Fee" on the other hand is just what it says. A fee.

Read some books on djing and wedding planning. If you can help an experienced wedding DJ or observe him do.

Try to meet the photographer and get on the same page with them - they are the ones who have wrecked plans the most frequently.

Meet with the bride and groom. Do a planning sheet. Take a list of good dance songs with you. See mobile best site for ideas. Get the bride and groom to pick some off the list. Don't let them turn the reception into a Ray Montagne snoozefest.

Visit the venue in and advance. Purchase mp3s of all the bride and groom's special songs, Burn them to a CD. Give it as a special gift.

Visit the venue well in advance to solve the logistics. Get to the site as early as possible. Plan on everything going wrong and have a backup plan.

Wrap the garter around a mini football for the garter toss. Play NFL music to get single men on the floor for the garter toss. Men are too image conscious to get excited about a garter toss, so make it manly to participate.

If you carry an emergency kit of safety pins, bobby pins. Etc you'll be ready to help with wardrobe malfunctions. Write out the whole event. Practice, practice, practice.

Have your script handy as a fall back. Find out how everybody's name is pronounced. Spell it out phonetically.

Be prepared for an exhausted bride and groom to deviate from the agenda.

Be ready for a photographer who wants to cut the cake before the meal is even served, etc. So they can go home. Yeah, there really are people like that out there.

Have one person to communicate between you and the bride and groom. I like to post a person with a walkie talkie outside so I can play the Grand Entrance music just as they walk in.

Now are you still sure you want to do weddings? LOL.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Make sure your contract specifies a covered table and power outlets in proximity to table.

Read some books on djing and wedding planning. If you can help an experienced wedding DJ or observe him do.

Try to meet the photographer and get on the same page with them - they are the ones who have wrecked plans the most frequently.

Meet with the bride and groom. Do a planning sheet. Take a list of good dance songs with you. See mobile best site for ideas. Get the bride and groom to pick some off the list. Don't let them turn the reception into a Ray Montagne snoozefest.

Visit the venue in advance. Purchase mp3s of all the bride and groom's special songs, Burn them to a CD. Give it as a special gift.

Get to the site as early as possible. Plan on everything going wrong and have a backup plan.

Wrap the garter around a mini football for the garter toss. Play NFL music to get single men on the floor for the garter toss. Men are too image conscious to get excited about a garter toss, so make it manly to participate.

If you carry an emergency kit of safety pins, bobby pins. Etc you'll be ready to help with wardrobe malfunctions. Write out the whole event. Practice, practice, practice.

Have your script handy as a fall back. Find out how everybody's name is pronounced. Spell it out phonetically.

Be prepared for an exhausted bride and groom to deviate from the agenda.

Be ready for a photographer who wants to cut the cake before the meal is even served, etc. So they can go home. Yeah, there really are people like that out there.

Have one person to communicate between you and the bride and groom. I like to post a person with a walkie talkie outside so I can play the Grand Entrance music just as they walk in.

Now are you still sure you want to do weddings? LOL.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
BigJer wrote:

I disagree here. You can still use the word "Deposit" in your contract. Within the contract that I have written up, I state that a specific $$ amount is required as a "Deposit," and I also state within the contract that the "Deposit" is NON-REFUNDABLE if cancelled less than 7 days before the date of service. Within your contract, you can state any terms and conditions you want regarding a "Deposit" (and it will be just as legally effective as using the words "Reservation Fee").

Last edited by Cueball on Tue May 02, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball wrote:
BigJer wrote:

I disagree here. You cane still use the word "Deposit" in your contract. Within the contract that I have written up, I state that a specific $$ amount is required as a "Deposit," and I also state within the contract that the "Deposit" is NON-REFUNDABLE if cancelled less than 7 days before the date of service. Within your contract, you can state any terms and conditions you want regarding a "Deposit" (and it will be just as legally effective as using the words "Reservation Fee").

That thinking comes from Stacey Zemon's book on DJing. She in turn got that from her lawyer.

I love you to death, Cueball. You're a terrific guy! But I got to go with the lawyer and Stacy on this one.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
dsm2000 wrote:
In my experience it has always been a bridesmaidzilla, drunk friend of the groom, or sibling of the BorG who was the royal pain in the <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

Let them know beforehand that they need to pick one person and all deviations from the plan have to go through that person.

OMG, a BorG wedding! Was Picard the Glooms best man? Did the BorGs sing Kraftwerk karaoke songs and boogie with bridezilla!!! This is a great topic with a lot of good advice! Kudos to all who posted!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile