KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What would be a "fair" karaoke contest? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:18 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
You will rarely witness a karaoke contest where there are no complaints about the outcome, judges, scoring, etc.. Many people who enter a contest vow to never enter one again. What do you believe is needed in order to have a fair karaoke contest? What criteria should be considered in the judging? Should crowd response figure in? Who should select the judges? What credentials should judges possess? Should the KJ running the contest have any input?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:11 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
The only fair karaoke contest is here: http://karaokefest.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
The only fair karaoke contest is the one not held....

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
chrisavis wrote:

And the only sponsor of a contest that is happy about it...... is one that decided NOT to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Design an advanced judging robot that judges based on exact pitch, rhythm and an advanced, comprehensive entertainment value algorithm. I'd be a nice to have if the robot has the personality of Johnny 5, but not required.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:

Holy crap! Somebody call the news cameras! Chris and I actually agree on one thing...

mrmarog wrote:
And the only sponsor of a contest that is happy about it...... is one that decided NOT to do it.
Amen Brother!

I've never been a fan of the concept of pitting one customer against another when you want as much business as you can get....

(unless you're a boxing gym... and the customers pay you to let them beat the crap out of each other)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
TopherM wrote:
Design an advanced judging robot that judges based on exact pitch, rhythm and an advanced, comprehensive entertainment value algorithm. It'd be nice to have if the robot has the personality of Johnny 5, but not required.

Number 5 is alive!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
TopherM wrote:
Design an advanced judging robot that judges based on exact pitch, rhythm and an advanced, comprehensive entertainment value algorithm. I'd be a nice to have if the robot has the personality of Johnny 5, but not required.

I saw that at C.E.S. five years ago.. All software based.

They let everyone sing Karaoke, and if the software
decided you "Killed It", they gave you a cigar.

Yes, I smoked it proudly.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:45 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
When I use to have them at my restaurant , I did internet voting, and the winner wasn't announced till the next weeks contest, votes calculated by likes on facebook page video. never had any complaints and the winner was announced at next weeks contest , I either mailed the winnings or held them if they were a regular customer. Plus it was great exposure for my restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Rules I used for a contest 12 years ago:

1. The contest shall consist of 8 qualifying weeks, starting 9/14/04 with the 9th week 11/9/04 as the final.

2. Contestants will enter the contest by submitting their song with the word CONTEST written on the karaoke request slip.

3. When a contestant wins a preliminary week contest, they are considered a finalist and are not allowed to compete in another preliminary.

4. 10 people maximum will be allowed to compete each qualifying week.

5. Contestants will be scored using a 100 point system:
a) Vocal ability (range and voice quality): 1 to 80 points
b) Stage presence (body language, facial expression and style): 1 to 20 points

6. Contestants may not utilize live props including but not limited to: back-up singers, dancers, or animals.

7. A minimum of 3 judges will be used for each preliminary contest whenever possible, with a maximum of 5.

8. 5 judges will be used for the final contest. Judges will be picked prior to the night of the final contest.

9. Judges will be picked at random by the contest host just prior to the start of the preliminaries.

10. The contest host will do his utmost to pick fair and impartial judges.

11. In the event of a tie, the highest total score in the vocal ability category will determine the winner.

12. Contestants and finalists are not allowed to be judges, and judges are not allowed to be contestants.

13. Decisions of the judges are final. The contest host will resolve any disputes.

14. The contest slips will be drawn from a hat to determine the order in which the contestants will perform. The order in which the contestants will sing will be announced at this time.

15. Once the drawing for the singing order has commenced, no other contestants will be allowed to enter.

16. The completed score sheets will not be viewed by anyone other than the contest host and the bar owner or his designee.

17. Contestants are allowed to sing any song they choose for the preliminary and final, but their contest song length will be limited to no longer than 5:30.

18. Use of profanity by a contestant at any time during the contest will result in disqualification of the contestant. This includes profanity in songs.

19. Contestants may sing the same song as another contestant.

20. Once a contestant has become a finalist, they are no longer eligible to enter another preliminary contest. This includes re-entry as a duet.

21. Professional or singers or actors are not allowed to participate. Professional is defined as someone who has an active recording contract OR whose livelihood is derived solely (only) from singing and or acting.

22. Contestants may use their own karaoke CD’s, at the discretion of the contest host.

23. A Cappella is not allowed.

24. Duets are allowed, but groups of 3 or more are not.

25. No one under the age of 21 is allowed to enter the contest or act as a judge.

26. Rules subject to change without notice.

A $50 cash prize will be furnished by the bar each week for preliminary contest winners.

Judges’ Guidelines for the Final

1. Any and all questions from the judges regarding the contest will be directed to the contest host.

2. The completed score sheets will not be viewed by anyone other than the contest host and the bar owner or his designee.

3. All judges shall score fairly and impartially. Any scores deemed “fixed” or “thrown” or grossly inaccurate by the contest host are subject to review and may be disallowed.

4. Judges are forbidden from conversing with the contestants, bar patrons or each other at anytime during the judging, and are discouraged from discussing their scoring with other judges, participants and bar patrons after each contest.

5. During the final, the high and low scores for each contestant in each category will be thrown out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
chrisavis wrote:

I totally agree.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
We don't do talent based contests because it's more popularity based then talent... And honestly I've never seen a fair one.

We do silly things, like the karaoke wheel of death... Because it's fun. We buy like $50-$100 of stuff from the junk store and if you sing the song, you get a prize from our "Cheesy Bin of Prizes". Everyone can play, no talent required!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
any kind of contest that is judged by people's opinions is never going to be considered fair by anyone who didn't win. If you have 20 contestants, you will have 19 former customers who will forever hate you from now on. The winner will think that you are the greatest host ever and your show will suffer for it. The bar owner will appreciate the extra business while the contest is going on but he will blame you when the place is empty after the contest is over and none of the losers show up any longer. It's only human nature but every person who enters a karaoke contest thinks that he or she should have won. I've lost in many karaoke contests in my life but the one that really pissed me off was when I lost to the bartenders girlfriend. Just about every person in the bar came up to me and told me that I was robbed but that's how the karaoke kookie Krumbles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
any kind of contest that is judged by people's opinions is never going to be considered fair by anyone who didn't win. If you have 20 contestants, you will have 19 former customers who will forever hate you from now on. The winner will think that you are the greatest host ever and your show will suffer for it. The bar owner will appreciate the extra business while the contest is going on but he will blame you when the place is empty after the contest is over and none of the losers show up any longer. It's only human nature but every person who enters a karaoke contest thinks that he or she should have won. I've lost in many karaoke contests in my life but the one that really pissed me off was when I lost to the bartenders girlfriend. Just about every person in the bar came up to me and told me that I was robbed but that's how the karaoke kookie Krumbles.

I got a guy that is semi-pro, sounds like Steve Perry, and has a range that is to die for... I watched him lose in some similar fashion. I have also heard about a Karaoke host that won his OWN contest... yeah I'll pass on "talent based" contests unless its held by some national company with no ties to the local karaoke pool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
Male judges, the girl with big boobs wins, female judges, the girl with the big boobs does not win.

Can't imagine any kind of fair contest if ANY of the judges knows ANY of the contestants personally.

If you have 30 contestants, you have one happy person and 29 unhappy people, plus the supporters of all of them.
Not sure how that can be good for business, everything doesn't have to be a competition, karaoke is supposed to be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
I am so tired of hearing the "Contests NEVER work" B.S. And B.S. is exactly what it is.

Not going to go into details here... You've heard them all before.. Suffice to say, I've been running successful contests for the past eleven years... Happy sponsors, happy venue operators, happy contestants, happy crowds (often SRO)... Very few complaints...

We run three serious contests (Open; Over 50; and Junior) and one strictly fun (Duet) contest yearly... The contestants, sponsors, judges, and audiences keep coming back, and our numbers just keep getting bigger.

So... for all you "experts" who say contests can never work... you're welcome to attend ours to see how its done.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Wow, only 1 person really answered the question on how to run a fair contest. So you don't like them, but if had to what would YOU do to make it fair?

Judges - make sure judges are not regulars of the club first off with a mix of male & female. Music experience of SOME kind ie musicians, vocal coach, radio personalities, etc work good. If you cannot find these kind of people, just make sure they are not regular patrons of the club or friends with contestants.
Judging - I simply use stage presence (do they just stare at the monitor or do they look around/move/make you feel their performance) and vocal ability(key and timing mainly, making it their own isn't a bad thing as long as it fits). NEVER use audience response as a criteria - someone not as good bringing in 20 friends that are only going to cheer for them vs the person that was the best but only brought a couple friends is never a fair way to judge. Always allow the contestants to see the judges sheets after the announcements, so they don't feel like anything is being hid from them.

If possible run the contest earlier than the karaoke starts that way it doesn't really interfere with the regular night.

These are just a couple things I do at the numerous contest held over the years that didn't alienate our regular singers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Pick a theme or genre for the contest. There is just no way in hell anyone can judge a headbanger against a hiphopper against a crooner against an old time CW . . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Pick a theme or genre for the contest. There is just no way in hell anyone can judge a headbanger against a hiphopper against a crooner against an old time CW . . .

Actually that is a good idea. Pick a theme and stick with it, change it out for the next one, rinse & repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
I apologize for going off on a tangent, but I get sick and tired of the "contests don't work" nay-sayers. They can work very well if run properly, and we have proven it over and over.

Generally speaking, we employ Lon's procedures, except we never hold our contests on regular karaoke nights..

Our "Open" contest, Homeward Star Search, features top prizes of $1000., $500., and $250., plus trophies and features on our local radio station and other shows throughout the year.

Here's a sample of our contest rules...

1. Contestant shall be nineteen years of age or older as of midnight, Friday, November 20, 2015.
2. The Grand Prize (First Place) winner in any year shall be ineligible to compete in the following year.
3. Contest will be held on eight consecutive Friday evenings, beginning October 2, 2015 and ending on November 20, 2015 at the CBD Club, 1342 Dufferin Avenue, Wallaceburg, Ontario.
4. Contestants must be in attendance not later than 7:30 pm to register and be included in that evening’s competition.
5. Registration is limited to a maximum, of twenty contestants per evening, and will be considered on an in-person, first-come, first-served basis except as follows: Where deemed necessary due to travel considerations, out-of-town registrants may be given priority, however no registrations will be accepted after 8:00 pm. The completion of a registration form does not guarantee that a registrant will be selected to compete.
6. Contestants shall sing “Karaoke-style”, without additional assistance of persons or musical instruments.
7. Order-of-performance will be determined by lottery-type draw.
8. Contestants may select from a list of karaoke songs which will be made available at the CBD Club, or provide his/her own clearly labeled Commercial CD+G Karaoke disc. Please note: If supplying own disc, graphics will not be available on screen. Home-made or “burned” discs may not function properly.
9. Contestants will be required to sing one song during preliminary rounds, and two songs in each of the semi-final and final rounds.
10. Except for practice(s), contestants shall not repeat a song choice in any stage of the competition.
11. Contestants will be allowed one re-start (for key change etc). Subsequent re-starts will result in deducted points.
12. Contestants will be adjudicated by a panel of not less than three judges who will consider Singing/Vocal Ability (80%), and Stage Presence (20%).
13. Contestants must not argue scores with judges. Judges may, at their discretion, make comments on individual score sheets. Score sheets will be made available to contestants at the end of each evening.
14. Four winners plus “ties”, if any, will be chosen in each of weeks one through five. These twenty preliminary winners will advance to one of two semi-final competitions, as determined by draw, to be held in weeks six and seven.
15. Any contestant, who fails to place in the top four in any preliminary round, may re-enter the contest in any or all subsequent weeks two through five.
16. By registering as a contestant, registrants agree to allow publication of photographs, videos, and/or music clips in print and/or electronic media as deemed desirable by the CBD Club’s Contest Committee.
17. The CBD Club reserves the right to shorten, or extend the contest without notice if/as deemed necessary.
18. The Chairperson of the CBD Club Executive Committee (Club President), or her designate, shall be the final authority in any and all disputes, which may arise in respect to the Contest.
19. Failure to comply with Contest Rules, as set out herein, may result in disqualification.
20. Questions regarding the contest should be directed to:

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]