KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How Can I Hear My Real Voice While Singing On Stage? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
Depends on the gig, and what equipment they use...

We stopped using monitors because people kept spilling beer into them or pointing the mic right at them.

Now we place our speaker behind them a little so they can hear themselves a bit. It's not perfect, but beats beer blown speakers all the time.

As for you, talk with your KJ, maybe you can come up with an option that's easy for them to work with.

I always place my video screen a couple feet in front of the speakers and turn the speakers slightly towards the singer so they can hear themselves

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:44 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 13 times
It depends on your relationship with the host. If I were you and a regular at the show I would buy an in ear monitor and ask the host if he has a spare AUX on his console. Agree to show up during set-up/sound check and dial it in.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:25 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
DADMONSON

Concentrate on "feel" more than listening. When the song feels right...it is. If you have to rely on the monitors to hear yourself then you are handicapping yourself. Monitors are only there for pitch while you "Perform" the song. Turn your voice down in your headphones, pull one ear OFF when practicing to get used to feeling the sensations in your throat, head and ears. This builds your confidence and comfort such that you KNOW when its right. If you are trying to do songs "emulating" a famous singer exactly and require that much monitoring then there is a problem (and I like monitors!!!!). Either you are struggling to reach the notes that are out of your range, or you are trying to change the timbre of your voice too much. TAKE EACH TUNE AND MAKE IT YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!.
If you are crippled without monitors, you are in trouble. Bad monitors can sometimes be worse than no monitor. When you can hear the house enough to determine pitch here and there you'll be ok.(if the system doesn't suck).

Huge advice for karaoke singers especially rock/pop........
GO TO U TUBE....yes I said that dirty word, find multiple LIVE versions of your song. That will provide a more
realistic version of what you can actually sing. Many of those singers CANT reproduce their own studio versions live either.. :lol:
You may be struggling to execute something live the original singer can't either.

Metallica is a good example, he's not screaming as much live. In the studio he can because he doesn't have to sing for a few days after.
Some songs are in E but always played live in Eb because the singer cant hit the notes every night. Iron maiden has even gone down to D live (And Dickensen is amazing!!!). Some singers sound awful and thin live without a studio double track, and others won't even do the studio version (Breaking Benjamin "Enjoy the silence") cuz they probably can't. Some don't sound right live without all the background vocals. Scorpions is a good example as many high notes actually came from the now resigned guitarist.
Look at those live versions, as many as you can find before trying to kill yourself to execute the impossible.

In my experience: The audience will enjoy a good performance, are more happy to hear a song they like even if its not perfect, over a static lifeless perfect pitch execution. It's YOU breathing life into a song that matters, not your perfection or ability to clone someone else perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:19 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
I also play in bands and have had issues with people falling into the band. However, we now use in-ear monitors. I would not suggest those for singers at karaoke, but there is a simple solution below :)

Look for a "Hot Spot Speaker Monitor". Most are either powered or non powered and have an equalizer supporting up to 200 watts which is not needed when pointed at the singer. This can be mounted to a tripod mic stand or set next to the KJ stand and you will hear flawlessly. They are about 8 to 10 inches long and 5 to 6 inches deep with angle tilt or direct frontal view. Look on e-bay and or guitar center/sam ash/ sweetwater sound. Sometimes you can get cheaper deals on E-bay with a grantee.

Many companies make them and some are just 100 bucks to 129.00 for a powered unit. If you are going to buy ElectroVoice I would mention that you will want one with an EQ was they produce a LOT of high end. Peavey also makes them and other companies. E-Bay "Hot Spot Speaker" or "Hot Spot Monitor". There are other brands with kick butt sound and sometimes you are only paying for a name. Get the one that will give you the features you desire.

I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:12 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
[quote="DADMONSON"]I noticed I sound so much better when I record at home with my headphones plugged into my recorder because I can hear myself singing while I'm recording. Is there any way I can do this on stage singing at random karaoke shows? The last time I recorded myself singing on stage it wasn't that good mostly because while on stage I couldn't hear my [i]real[/i] voice that well. It was hard to tell when I was off key while on stage. The voice I hear inside my head and the voice other people hear (my real voice) sound WAY different.

Is there any device I can use? This would be HUGE for me.[/quote]

In my humble opinion and experience:
You are depending on the backing track way too much. This is why you feel you need a monitor at random karaoke places. If you really can not hear your real voice (whatever that means) then the backing track is too loud and you can always ask the KJ to turn it down a little for you. So if I can suggest, you need to practice on your recording without a backing track. Get use to the way it feels to hit the notes right. It takes some practice but soon you will use this feeling to be sure your on key and not depending on the speaker system. I have never sung a song at any of the karaoke venues that I couldn't hear my real voice.
Cheers,
Alice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:42 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
I'm fairly new at this, but I've never used a monitor, but I've always had enough space at most venues to position the speakers far enough away and slightly behind the lyrics screen and turn them towards the performer slightly so they can hear themselves sing, but adjusting the music and mic volume probably helps more than anything, IMO.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile