KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Pa equipment - Does size really matter. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
dvdgdry wrote:
Anybody hear of Pat Matheny? See what he says about Bose and the stick.

Are you really that gullible? Do you really think that Pat Matheny is not getting paid by Bose for that infomercial? Bose also did a similar video using Foreigner. It is so staged it isn't even funny. Remember, Bose is a marketing genius. Using celebrities to help sell products is nothing new. Just a great marketing strategy.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:25 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi, I recently bought the Bose L1 model 2 n was wondering wat would b the best setting for vocal n music? Im playing karaoke from my ipad connected to the bose tonal match. I tried a advices on google search under best setting for bose tonal match but i think most of the settings r for live band. Does anyone have a setting configuration on each channel for vocal n music so that the sound qualities n blended well?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
the settings for live band mic and karaoke mic are the same. depending on what mic you have, Bose has presets already for most mics built into the tone match.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
The Bose are interesting but pricey and I do not like the sub at all.
If you like 15's, PV-15 neo. I can lift them with two fingers and they sound good.
Mine have been modded though... replace 14xp with 22xt drivers, add auralex foam to
back of cabs to take out some of the boxy sound (personal preference) lower
the crossover freq slightly(I forgot what cap I used).
I have used them with a Velodyne home sub crossed over at 80hz just for
thump. Had I not been arm twisted to leave the velodyne in my bosses bar,
I would have rebuilt the cab in baltic birch for weight and tone.

Bone stock the neo pv15 are also easy to stick on stands unlike anything powered and work well.
Many Local KJ's here use 10" self powered and they sound GOD AWFULL and run out of power fast.
For subs, the alto does not have enough bottom, most plastic neo subs suck, others are too heavy.
For karaoke you probably don't need big pro pa subs (I used to design them) but a nice authoritative
below the belly button thump is rather nice. Something with a rubber surround. You lose some spl
but you make up for it in clarity. Since you are not going for high spl like a live band, you can afford the loss.

Tech tip... Get in the habit of checking any plastic cabs for loose screws on a regular basis every few months or so.
They tend to get loose. Do not use locktite as you will trash the cabs when you try to unscrew them for
any repairs etc. You'll need a long phillips for most of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:13 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
First of all, thanks for your responses. I took the opportunity to take some time off a couple of weekends ago. The stand in used a Bose system, an older version L1? My regs didn't like it, poor in comparison to my HK system. So looks like size does make a difference......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:58 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
in my opinion Size matters to a point.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend

A pair of 10" QSCs will blow away ANY 15" behringer made speaker without even breaking a sweat, but then the QSC speakers retail for over $1000 candadian at my local shop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 29 times
My opinion is this...give me the money you spend on Bose, and I'll give you something that kicks Bose in their subwoofer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:50 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
TheMechanic wrote:
My opinion is this...give me the money you spend on Bose, and I'll give you something that kicks Bose in their subwoofer.

I second this. I have never heard a Bose stick system I've enjoyed, tested one in my show for a couple weeks with a Bose rep helping me out - it didn't even compare to my full PA system. But again I know it's because me, the Bose rep and the other 6 kj's that used them that I wasn't impressed with didn't know how to use the system (standard excuse). The thing I did give it props on was what it was originally intended for - a personal monitor system, it did quite well as a monitor system.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
They sound really good in a coffeehouse type setting with acoustic guitars.

One of my KJ friends runs a few for karaoke, and while it's impressive how the sound levels do appear to be consistent both close to the speaker and in the back corner, the character always sounds like it's missing frequencies to me. Hollow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
TopherM wrote:
They sound really good in a coffeehouse type setting with acoustic guitars.

One of my KJ friends runs a few for karaoke, and while it's impressive how the sound levels do appear to be consistent both close to the speaker and in the back corner, the character always sounds like it's missing frequencies to me. Hollow.

I'll second this. Bose sound--whether it's their pro products or the consumer stuff like the wave radio--is very, very bright. To my ear it feels like it's missing the overtones, which serve to thicken the sound and provide important cues like understanding how loud the music is. As a result, any time I've been at a Bose-driven show where the levels seemed "normal" inside, my ears are ringing when I leave. It's not bad sound, just different from what I'm used to. Also, the bass seems underpowered, while the midrange seems overpowered.

That being said, for the right space and the right music, Bose can be an excellent choice, and the weight makes it easy on people who have difficulty lugging around more conventional speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
BigJer wrote:
I know I got the cheaper one, so maybe I got confused, but the elx 12 are $299 now at zzounds now

The zlx are $399 at zzounds.

I do think you're right that the zlxs were the cheaper one and that sounds more like what I recall. The price inversion is confusing for me. Sorry, I do think I got my models inverted.

Ooh and zzounds is offering a rebate for free covers!!!

ELX and ZLX are generally the same price for passives. For the powered version, the ELX is considerably more expensive.

WOW, Lawyer turned equipment guru.

Why not? We have a resident karaoke host that is a law guru. Tit for tat. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
About size mattering......

I just replaced 2 massive, passive subs at one of our venues. Each sub had 4 - 12" woofers. In their place, I dropped a single EV 18" active sub. I like the sound from the previous subs better than the new EV. But the club wanted to free up the space (seriously....they were very, very large enclosures).

The 18" sub moves a lot of air and is great for club music where people want to feel the bass. But if one wants to hear the punch and separation in karaoke, I prefer smaller (15" and smaller) and more of them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:54 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

chrisavis wrote:

I just replaced 2 massive, passive subs at one of our venues. Each sub had 4 - 12" woofers. In their place, I dropped a single EV 18" active sub. I like the sound from the previous subs better than the new EV. But the club wanted to free up the space (seriously....they were very, very large enclosures).

The 18" sub moves a lot of air and is great for club music where people want to feel the bass. But if one wants to hear the punch and separation in karaoke, I prefer smaller (15" and smaller) and more of them.

Technically the sub with 4 15's moves a lot more air than a single 18. But I can understand where you might like the sound better from one than the other. This is why I have my sub set up on an aux feed that is post fader. This allows me to control the sub separately with a separate fader and EQ settings. It's much easier to control the balance between the sub and the mains this way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

chrisavis wrote:

Technically the sub with 4 15's moves a lot more air than a single 18. But I can understand where you might like the sound better from one than the other. This is why I have my sub set up on an aux feed that is post fader. This allows me to control the sub separately with a separate fader and EQ settings. It's much easier to control the balance between the sub and the mains this way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I did my first outdoor gig with my 2 Bose L1 compacts last night. I normally wouldn't use them for out doors but I had my other setup at another location (minus laptop and music).

I will have to say that they sounded great and carried further than I would have expected, but by the time the show ended I was completely maxed out. The green input light flashed red and sometimes stayed a constant red (indicating that it was "limiting"). That was the bad part, the good part was that I really didn't need anymore volume and it sounded great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Slap a couple of Bose stickers on a pair of Radio Shack 15's and the sound quality suddenly improves for a large percentage of listeners.

Slap a couple of Beats stickers on a pair of radio shack headphones . . . same result.

Put a counterfeit SM58 on the stand . . . many singers won't know the difference.

Let's face it . . . It's sad, but Marketing trumps real world experience for most people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Slap a couple of Bose stickers on a pair of Radio Shack 15's and the sound quality suddenly improves for a large percentage of listeners.

Slap a couple of Beats stickers on a pair of radio shack headphones . . . same result.

What an interesting concept. So, it's not what's on the inside, it's the sticker that's on the outside. Makes sense to me. It's all an illusion. Mind over matter. Amazing that a simple thing as a logo can have such an effect on folks. Isn't it funny that the name that's on the outside is more important than what's on the inside?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Alan B wrote:
dsm2000 wrote:

What an interesting concept. So, it's not what's on the inside, it's the sticker that's on the outside. Makes sense to me. It's all an illusion. Mind over matter. Amazing that a simple thing as a logo can have such an effect on folks. Isn't it funny that the name that's on the outside is more important than what's on the inside?

You may jest, however, that's the perfect business plan.
Intel has renamed processors for years.
New Name? New Product!

The Intel i7 processor is shipped with 2, 4, 6, 12 internal cores.
So if you by a core 2 processor, is it a i7 or a core 2 duo?
You decide..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:43 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Holy shyte storm batman! Another Bose controversy ... YIkes! Alan, you should have learned by now that anytime you use the "B" word (that goes for Behringer as well) there are those who will defend their choices, and vehemently (in fact I use an U-Phoria UMC404HD in non-critical situations). It's not that I disagree in general with your observations, but it should be painfully obvious by now that anytime you slam a Bose product you're going to receive some blowback. Maybe it's just best to give Bose the benefit of the doubt in that their product philosophy is more focused on design than it is components. Do I think that there is enough design in the system to compensate for the inferior components and/or defy the laws of physics? Not to my ears, but I can't dismiss the possibility that what I hear might be more nuanced than the average person. I have a friend who uses the Bose system in his band on small venues. They're not micing the band in these scenarios so basically they're using it just for vocals in which case the fact that they're mono doesn't come into play either. Do they like them? As the bass player said to me, "it is what it is", and that's exactly the best words to describe them. I've said some fairly harsh things about Bose myself and in hindsight perhaps a bit more diplomacy might have been in order. Not because my remarks were disingenuous, but some people might take offense to such comments. The bottom line is that just like the Behringer, they do have their place. Pat Metheny uses them as side fills which is a genius use of them. Of course if you've ever seen Pat in a live concert you'd understand that cost would not be a determining factor in choosing side fills. Neither would testing unpteen different systems for that purpose. At the end of the day, all systems have limitations. It really boils down to a matter of which limitations you're willing to accept.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
I've owned several multi ridiculous thousand of dollars PA Systems over the years and I found that once you reached a certain threshold, it really didn't matter much sound wise what you added or upgraded after that. That's why I focused more on gear with blinking lights because then you can justify adding more components to the system. Even if you can't hear the difference, by God you can sure as heck see the difference.

Take the Furman Power Conditioner for example. I honestly don't think it does anything more than a $5 plastic power strip does. But nobody buys a Furman Power Conditioner for its power strip functionality. You buy it because it has those cool as s*** pop out swivel lights! They're so cool looking I was seriously tempted to buy another one and stick it halfway down the 5' rack to shine on the lower half of the gear.

Or how about that cheapo Behringer bazillion band equalizer? The one with a bright red LED in the middle of each slider. Talk about cool! I had $1,200 Allen Heath 24 channel mixer that sounded terrific and didn't need an equalizer. But what I did need was bank of red LED lights. So I stuck one in the rack and didn't hook it up to anything and for a mere $99 it was the coolest looking piece of gear in the rack. It also filled in a spare spot in the rack and I don't have to tell you that all a spare rack space says is you either don't have the cash or the imagination or both, and that's just embarrassing.

That was way back in the "playing out" days. Now I'm down to a Roland KC 500 Acoustic Amp, a TC Helicon Vocal Processor, a Sennheiser wireless headset mic, a Behringer U Phoria interface and it sounds terrific. As for looks? Meh...I miss those blinking lights.

Last edited by Cseeger on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next