KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Gizmo to remove vocals from a song? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Someone once recommended a gizmo to me that they said does a good job of removing vocals from a song to make homebrew karaoke tracks. I can't remember what it was though. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Some advise if you are going to get a gizmo:

1) No bright light
2) Don't get it wet
3) Don't feed it after midnight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
If you're looking for quality backing tracks, these Gizmos will NOT give them to you. If you're looking to just goof around in your basement with these altered tracks, the results are hit and miss. Some songs will give you a good result while some songs will sound absolutely terrible after trying to remove the vocals. Try to find the songs you want to sing from a reputable backing track maker whenever possible. After going through the trouble of removing the vocals and creating a graphics file for the track, you will be disappointed 90% of the time with the result. You can Google "Vocal removal software" to get a list of options. Have fun with it but don't expect any high quality audio.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
wrybread wrote:
Someone once recommended a gizmo to me that they said does a good job of removing vocals from a song to make homebrew karaoke tracks. I can't remember what it was though. Does anyone have any recommendations?

MTU Vogone works as good as any of the others. All of them work on the same principle - finding the 'like' frequencies on both channels & cancelling them out - which a lot of times vocals are panned dead center but often times not. The MTU is probably more versatile than other as it allows you to change staging and add some bass frequencies that usually get lost back into the mix.
Now on that same note, there are also a lot of instruments that are also panned dead center that will also be removed leaving an empty sounding track behind. Or if the vocals are slightly off pan, there will always be some background vocals left. You will often hear the effects that were used on the vocals as these are often panned differently in each channel and won't be affected.
Then any mono recordings - won't work at all since everything is the same on both channels.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I built a karaoke vocal remover from a kit back in the 90s.

Results were pretty much as already described, but there was a low pass filter for the bass that routed the bass frequencies around the cancellation hardware and remixed the bass in after cancellation.

My experience with the thing was it softened vocals, but didn't totally eliminate them. The tracks sounded OK, otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:44 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Several of the Beringer mixers had voice cancelling as an option. I had two that had it but I never tried it. I have used MTU's Vogone with moderate to good results depending on the song. I'll usually bring the new, vocal removed track and the original into Cake Walk and remix again there. I'll leave the parts of the original that are instrument only and remove the parts of the original where vocals are removed. It's work but it makes the end result much more pleasing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
Alesis make a couple of units, Thompson makes one .. none work great that I've heard.