KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Filler music handling, compuhost or Karma?? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
I've gotten very familiar with Karma however it doesn't seem to be very friendly with filler music. You have to load each song between karaoke requests manually.
Just karaoke 2 was abysmal in its auto managed function I had to run it by hand.
I have not played with Compuhost as yet as the trial is impractical in a show test.

I have to decide between compuhost and karma as I can only afford to buy ONE. It's tough to test something you cannot use in a show so:
How reliable and friendly is the bumper/filler music functions in Compuhost????
I kinda want a set it and forget it operation for bumpers.

2nd question: Can you save a loaded singer list...I.E. a list for ME with the songs I'm learning loaded into the rotation in compuhost? You can't in Karma.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I just use a different program that rolls filler music all night long... It's on it's own slider, so I just bring it up and down myself..

I'm there anyway getting the next singer lined up and if anything were to go wrong I can have filler music up faster than any program....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
c. staley wrote:
I just use a different program that rolls filler music all night long... It's on it's own slider, so I just bring it up and down myself..

I'm there anyway getting the next singer lined up and if anything were to go wrong I can have filler music up faster than any program....

^ ^ exactly same as Chip’s^^. Laptop 2 live on the line as well. I use it for filler music. Online music premium subscription - pre-load all the music genres you want & let it play continuously for the entire 5 hr show; control the volume from its assigned slider. Also serves as back for karma. If the main laptop is experiencing hiccup delays, just a/b switch to pc2 & the show goes on without dead air. Easy peasy!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
screamersusa wrote:
I've gotten very familiar with Karma however it doesn't seem to be very friendly with filler music. You have to load each song between karaoke requests manually.
Just karaoke 2 was abysmal in its auto managed function I had to run it by hand.
I have not played with Compuhost as yet as the trial is impractical in a show test.

I have to decide between compuhost and karma as I can only afford to buy ONE. It's tough to test something you cannot use in a show so:
How reliable and friendly is the bumper/filler music functions in Compuhost????
I kinda want a set it and forget it operation for bumpers.

2nd question: Can you save a loaded singer list...I.E. a list for ME with the songs I'm learning loaded into the rotation in compuhost? You can't in Karma.

Karma works perfectly for filler music All you have to do is set all singerless songs to auto-play and "Insert Playlist" to the top of the playlist field. I created several 4 to 5 hour playlists and saved them.

When the singer is done singing the top filler song (it is also the top of the playlist field) starts immediately, and stops immediately (if crossfade XF is set to .1) when you play the next singer. It really couldn't work any better..... it is seamless and effortless. You can also set a volume differential so the filler song doesn't drown out your announcements.

Try it and you will see that it works perfectly!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Yeah, Karma is AWESOME with filler music. I make playlists that are venue specific, and crowd specific. I never have any dead air.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Karma Laptop on one fader and Filler music laptop other other. The laptops back each other up in the event of a laptop failure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Karma Laptop on one fader and Filler music laptop other other. The laptops back each other up in the event of a laptop failure.

So does each laptop have your full filler music and karaoke library in case of a failure?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I like compuhost's filler better than Karma's. It uses a separate player to control it and the fade is just like a DJ software. You can literally DJ with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
Thanks a bunch Gentlemen..... :mrgreen:

I've considered the rolling MP3 player option for simplicity.
I do have a second matching laptop (work unit) that I could use as a backup etc.
I was considering that as I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with downloads in show. Running Malwarebytes to have on-line enabled may effect the Hoster software but I have not done enough hardcore shows yet to determine if that is the case. I'd rather
not play thumbdrive games unless it's the most stable option.
I'll try setting up a playlist in karma and see how that goes.
I'm pretty sure there is a global setting in karma for the level on the filler tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

screamersusa wrote:
Thanks a bunch Gentlemen..... :mrgreen:

I've considered the rolling MP3 player option for simplicity. You still have to turn the music on or off before and after a singer.... with Karma you do nothing.

I'll try setting up a playlist in karma and see how that goes.
I'm pretty sure there is a global setting in karma for the level on the filler tracks.

The "FV" slider controls the Filler Volume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Options for simplicity playing mp3: hook up an old (or newer) iPod nano or your smartphone if loaded with music to your mixer slider. Connect to ac power & let it play all night.

I will try mrmarog’s filler set-up (again). :) I wasn’t quite successful last time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian, It really does work perfectly and the best part EFFORTLESSLY. It only requires that you load a playlist ahead of (at the top of) any singers. When the singer's song ends the first song starts playing and disappears when the next singer's song starts playing. No extra gear or faders to manipulate. I load about 4 to 5 hours of filler music at once.

Most of the time my filler music plays 10 to 15 seconds and then the singer is on the stage and I hit play and off we go...... and the filler song ends before the singers song begins, if you set the XF to .1. The higher you set the XF the greater the chance of the singer not hearing that all important first note.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Brian A wrote:
Options for simplicity playing mp3: hook up an old (or newer) iPod nano or your smartphone if loaded with music to your mixer slider. Connect to ac power & let it play all night.

I will try mrmarog’s filler set-up (again). :) I wasn’t quite successful last time.

If you use Breakaway you can't control the volume.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:13 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
c. staley wrote:

That is the way I've always preferred it as well. The program auto blends the songs so no stop / start in between silence and keep music flowing all night. I use the built in filler music on Hoster for when I don't have another computer set up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
c. staley wrote:

That is the way I've always preferred it as well. The program auto blends the songs so no stop / start in between silence and keep music flowing all night. I use the built in filler music on Hoster for when I don't have another computer set up.

My computer has 2 sound cards... 1 goes for karaoke and the other for filler and they're plugged into different channels...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:56 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Kirks Karaoke wrote:
Brian A wrote:

If you use Breakaway you can't control the volume.

I use Breakaway and I have my Karma FV (filler volume) set at 10% of MV (master volume). Breakaway tries to bring the FV all the way up but it can't unless I have Breakaway set for 100% range and 100% power (which I don't). I have Breakaway set at 45 range,35 power, and 10 speed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:43 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
c. staley wrote:
My computer has 2 sound cards... 1 goes for karaoke and the other for filler and they're plugged into different channels...
Mine does as well, I just have the 2nd computer on site anyway as a back up and have the DJ program on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
screamersusa wrote:

Karma: Yes you can save singer lists for each venue or night.
Save Singer list is located in the same dropdown menu as add singer(Just above Singer).

Save playlist is located in the dropdown menu just to the left of Playlist

You can select multiple files to add by scrolling through the DJ file media list. Find the first song you want and left click it to highlight it. you can skip over songs you don't want and find the next song you want. Hold the ctrl key down and click the second song.
You can repeat as many times as you like (Just remember to hold down the ctrl key each time you click a new song.

Usually after I've clicked five or 6 songs I'll drag them over to the playlist and drop them.

Once you have all the songs you want in the playlist that you want to save click the playlist dropdown menu and save it giving it a name ie Classic Rock, OldCountry, rapshit, hiphop garbage etc.

You can also create mixed lists for each venue.

Next gig you just insert the saved playlist and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

It is true that you can not create a list of your songs with your name attached as the next singer, and save it. You can't save a list that has a singer's name in the list.

However, you can create a singerless list that was created from your list. Do this by creating your playlist (with your name assigned) and then select all your songs from the playlist (highlight top song, hold shift key down and highlight bottom song, and drag list to a blank area in the rotation field). That will make all selected songs singerless and now you can save that list. It will remember trim points and key changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Ive been using Compuhost now for almost 12 years and never had a problem with it you can create as many filler tunes fills as you want, very easy to load them you can also save your own history and bring it up or include it in the singer rotation. Makes practicing at home very easy or skipping yourself on those very busy nights