KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Filler music handling, compuhost or Karma?? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Another vote for CompuHost. You have 2 decks and can do just about anything. And when you start the singer performance, the filler automatically fades out and the performer's song begins. Then at the end of the singers song, the filler music fades back in. It works flawlessly. I was using Virtual DJ just for music, but now, you have an all in one solution that works great. So, I highly recommend CompuHost.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Karma does the same thing without 2 decks..... so take that :arrow:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:

More flexibility with two decks. Soon as a song is over on the 1'st deck the second one is ready to instantly and smoothly start the next song. This is all done automatically. A real DJ program like Virtual DJ will always have 2 decks. Pretty useless with just one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

More flexibility with two decks. Soon as a song is over on the 1'st deck the second one is ready to instantly and smoothly start the next song. This is all done automatically. A real DJ program like Virtual DJ will always have 2 decks. Pretty useless with just one.

Like I said Karma does EXACTLY what you describe with ONE deck and it does it seamlessly without doing anything! The singer's song stops and the filler music starts all on its own. The next singer is started and the filler music instantly stops. Then singer's song stops and again the filler music starts seamlessly without the push of any buttons. How could that be improved?

On top of that there is a volume differential which allows easy "talk over" while the filler is playing. It also has an adjustable .1 to 5 second fade in or out. All with one deck..... seems impossible doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Karma is ok for playing bumper music. What it sucks at is ease of creating playlists. There's no filter options other than type and search. So, you can't filter by year, genre, beats per minute, year, date added, (you know, all those fields that are pretty important to playing and sorting music), all things that would make creating playlists much easier. Also, karma uses a proprietary format, .kpl, invented by hack programmer. I've suggested to him to make it handle .m3u playlists because most people that have ever created a playlist with other programs have them saved in .m3u format. It would be so easy to import already created playlists, or playlists created in other software like Virtual DJ, where it's so easy to create CREATIVE playlists due to the power of its browser and filters. Of course, the hack shot it down. Because the hack's a hack. Hackers gonna hack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
Karma is ok for playing bumper music. What it sucks at is ease of creating playlists. There's no filter options other than type and search. So, you can't filter by year, genre, beats per minute, year, date added, (you know, all those fields that are pretty important to playing and sorting music), all things that would make creating playlists much easier. Also, karma uses a proprietary format, .kpl, invented by hack programmer. I've suggested to him to make it handle .m3u playlists because most people that have ever created a playlist with other programs have them saved in .m3u format. It would be so easy to import already created playlists, or playlists created in other software like Virtual DJ, where it's so easy to create CREATIVE playlists due to the power of its browser and filters. Of course, the hack shot it down. Because the hack's a hack. Hackers gonna hack.

You are correct Don it does not function well as full out DJ deck..... however that was not question. The question was "Filler music handling, compuhost or Karma??". We both agree that Karma does an adequate job of that :wink:

But just like Virtual DJ, it sucks at karaoke. Are they hacks?

Disclaimer: Bob is no fan of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
have both karma and compuhost!

karma: seems to hang at the end of songs so I have to really pay attention that my filler music hasn't stopped be cause a song will hang the last few seconds.

compuhost v3: since v3 they have fixed most issues with filller music and it works almost flawlessly for me. you have to make sure you setup your show, "load the setup" file before you start filler music. if I start filler music and then load the setup file it will crash the music and require a reboot.

I only use karma because i run the bar's equipment on that night and that's the software they own. I HATE KARMA WITH A PASSION! and i've been using it for 3yrs, I've been using computhost since 2001 or something like that.

I've tried all the others and I just prefer compuhost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:

You know what I find interesting...

I understand this man has insulted, ridiculed and not been very nice or very helpful to the very people who have supported him and purchased his products.

It would be like you as a host, insulting your customers by telling them they can't sing, should not try to sing, don't want to hear them sing because their singing sucks. Would you do that to the very customers who come out to support you week after week and keep you in business?

Yet, you people continue to use Karma. Especially when there are better choices and better support.

This is not open for discussion and I really don't want to hear your defense for Karma. It's about business, common sense and decency.

I guarantee, if you treated your customers the way Bob treats his, you'd be out of a job. Yet, you people continue to kiss his (@$%&#!).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
While I don't like his attitude towards his customers, I have always said that his software has been good software. The only real flaw that I found in Karaoke File Manager is that the rezipping doesn't work because it makes what is supposed to be inside completely disappear and if you don't have a backup copy when you go to use it then you lose that particular song.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mrmarog wrote:
djdon wrote:

You are correct Don it does not function well as full out DJ deck..... however that was not question. The question was "Filler music handling, compuhost or Karma??". We both agree that Karma does an adequate job of that :wink:

But just like Virtual DJ, it sucks at karaoke. Are they hacks?

VDJ is a dj program first and foremost. They don't claim to excel with karaoke software. However, VDJ is VERY responsive to their end users. The karaoke part of their software has come a long way since VDJ 7.

But that's not the issue here.

Creating filler music playlists is part of filler music handling, in my opinion. I can't speak for compuhost, but I most certainly can speak for Karma.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

I understand this man has insulted, ridiculed and not been very nice or very helpful to the very people who have supported him and purchased his products.

It would be like you as a host, insulting your customers by telling them they can't sing, should not try to sing, don't want to hear them sing because their singing sucks. Would you do that to the very customers who come out to support you week after week and keep you in business?

Yet, you people continue to use Karma. Especially when there are better choices and better support.

This is not open for discussion and I really don't want to hear your defense for Karma. It's about business, common sense and decency.

I guarantee, if you treated your customers the way Bob treats his, you'd be out of a job. Yet, you people continue to kiss his <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

I don't know about others, but since the program works and I paid for it, I'm going to use it.

Are you one of those that burns his $100 jersey when your team does something you don't like? What are you proving, other than you like to throw away money?

I may decide to use different software sometime in the future, but until then, I'll hobble along with Karma. Sure, it gets me from point a to point b, but so does a rusty bicycle with a flat tire.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

I guarantee, if you treated your customers the way Bob treats his, you'd be out of a job. Yet, you people continue to kiss his <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

I don't know about others, but since the program works and I paid for it, I'm going to use it.

Are you one of those that burns his $100 jersey when your team does something you don't like? What are you proving, other than you like to throw away money?

I have wasted or thrown money away on many products that I didn't like. Or found out that they just weren't cutting it. Rather then keep them and use them and not be very happy with them, I end up replacing them with the better product. The one I should have bought in the first place.

Sometimes you just got to chalk it up. I personally, won't continue to use a product, which was a mistake or inferior, just because I already bought it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
Creating filler music playlists is part of filler music handling, in my opinion. I can't speak for compuhost, but I most certainly can speak for Karma.

Filler music is....... filler music. It wouldn't matter what I play because it only plays for a few seconds, usually 15 to 30 and at a much lower volume. I don't want to encourage anyone to want to get up and dance to it, because I run a karaoke only show.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Yes, sometimes you just got to chalk it up. Case in point...

I recently bought a pair of Peavey P2 line array speakers. While one of them is adequate for one of my smaller venues, using two of them at my favorite venue which is larger and has beautiful acoustics, just doesn't cut it. My traditional 15" speakers totally blow them away. Will I ever use them there again? No way! Point being, lesson learned.

So, unlike DJ Don, I am not going to continue using them just because I own them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
djdon wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

I have wasted or thrown money away on many products that I didn't like. Or found out that they just weren't cutting it. Rather then keep them and use them and not be very happy with them, I end up replacing them with the better product. The one I should have bought in the first place.

Sometimes you just got to chalk it up. I personally, won't continue to use a product, which was a mistake or inferior, just because I already bought it.

I get that. The product is adequate and works. It gets the job done. It could be better. It's not unusable.

I simply point out its flaws which, to me, are many. Others love it just the way it is. I use it 3 times a week. When I decide I need different software, I'll go get it. In the meantime, I'll use it as is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
My filler music consists of approx 1000 cds from Cab Calloway and Etta James to Metallica and queensryche to country old and new to to pop yo new wave to ..... all on random shuffle on auto play through my dj program. No playlist. Like said it's on less than 30 seconds between singers as they swap spots on stage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
Lonman wrote:
My filler music consists of approx 1000 cds from Cab Calloway and Etta James to Metallica and queensryche to country old and new to to pop yo new wave to ..... all on random shuffle on auto play through my dj program. No playlist. Like said it's on less than 30 seconds between singers as they swap spots on stage.

I think i'd go with Hoster if it didn't require changing the file extensions. I do like MTU's products i have (microstudio and an external i bought from them years ago).

There are quite a few hosts i know that use Karma and it seems like a good product when it's not crashing, but they continue to stick with it. I just wouldn't want to DEAL with someone like Bob...too narcissistic for me to deal with. Karma will come back and get him...no pun intended...well maybe a little ;-)

I tried Compuhost on another hosts' equipment but didn't like to have to change screens multiple times. This was 10 years or so ago, so i'm not sure if that's changed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
John, don't use the kma import and use the kmh, that leaves the MP3+G files alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I always ran CompuHost on the soundcard in my mixer, then Virtual DJ off the soundcard in my Denon DN-HC5000 DJ controller.

The absolute beauty of this configuration was:

#1 - I could run everything on the same computer.
#2 - I would make CompuHost the default video output, but use MIDI mapping to map a button on my DJ controller, in this case the TAP button, to toggle the video from the CompuHost default to Virtual DJ. So I ran karaoke with instant, seamless cut overs to video DJ filler. I didn't just let it roll, either, I prepared cue points to always hit each upbeat song in the appropriate highlight part of each song to get max effect out of the 30-45 second snippits.

I have never seen another KJ do both. Made me unique and kept me busy :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
johnreynolds wrote:
I think i'd go with Hoster if it didn't require changing the file extensions. I do like MTU's products i have (microstudio and an external i bought from them years ago).
No file extension change required. They have their KMA file extension - which is what I prefer, but even when ripping to Hoster, you have been able to rip to mp3g for a few years now. Plus any existing mp3g/zip file you might have, you can simply index as a KMH - all this does is add a 1 kb file of the same name (basically Hoster's external 'header' tag) so it will be available in the search database as any other. It doesn't convert or change the original files. And since Hoster doesn't require that files be unzipped ahead of time, there is no need to unzip each file to rename the individual mp3/cdg files it contains. I simply rename the zip file itself to what I want it to be (usually discid-trackid artist - title) then have the index set up to read that format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next