KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Observations and Questions for KaraoQ.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Over the weekend, I sent the following in email to karaoQ -

=================

I already have my songbooks online through a cross-platform service that works with any device with a browser, including Windows Phones. It costs me $20/year, I can update the online list myself in seconds and it doesn’t get lumped in with song lists from other karaoke companies. It does not do remote song submissions, but that is not very important to me anyway.

I have tried a few remote submission tools. All of them have the same problem – critical mass. I spent 6 months trying to get people to use one of the platforms. Most of the regular customers still just walked up to the booth to put songs in. New singers never have the platform so I spent a significant amount of time marketing a 3rd party platform instead of managing my show. Until a majority of patrons are on a single platform, we will always be promoting the platform to increase adoption. I should also note, of the 6 or so “popular” remote submission apps available, not once have I ever had a singer come up and ask if we are involved with a platform they have on their phone. It just doesn’t seem to be a big deal to singers. I prefer that singers interact with me anyway and NOT be face down in phones during karaoke.

I am interested in doing kiosks on site at several venues. I have checked out a few apps. They suffer from the same integration issues as the mobile apps, but they also provide an experience that is beneficial to the show. A “cool factor” that phone based apps can’t match. Plus, it is a one time fee, not an on-going subscription or percentage of tips. I still print books and will always do so, but a kiosk would reduce the number of books I need to print.

My company delivers 130+ regular karaoke events every month. I have a lot of experience with how venues and singers look at karaoke and what their expectations are. Not to mention my own expectations as well as those of the 10 hosts that work for me. I strive to keep things simple and easy to manage from a hardware and software perspective so that we can focus on the patrons and singers. Anything that adds work, complexity or takes away from face-to-face customer interaction will get panned by me and my crew.

Observations and Questions -

I have been looking at the interface and I am trying to figure out what I stand to gain by using this platform outside of the tips and bumps. As noted earlier, I won’t be using the bump feature. I also have a tip jar on my stand already and the idea of giving a percentage of my tips to someone else as a convenience fee seems counter-intuitive.

The Queue management feature is only really beneficial if it is integrated with my karaoke hosting platform. It actually increases my workload as I have to manage the queue in two places and make sure they stay in sync (as singers leave, change songs, do duets/groups, etc).

Chatting with users through the app would be a no-no in my book. If I am face down chatting with people, I am not paying attention to my real job of working the crowd, managing the flow of the karaoke show and mixing sound.

The Push and Promote features also add work. I already do all of that through better known and more established social media platforms. I will always reach more customers through Facebook and Twitter unless I can convince the majority of singers to use the app (see critical mass and adoption above). What about new people? I am not interested in becoming a marketing agent for someone else’s platform unless I receive a tangible benefit from it. If tip and bump revenue is the only reward, the platform doesn’t work for me. Regardless, I would not drop using FB, Twitter and other platforms because that is where everyone is already anyway. I use Hootsuite to broadcast to multiple platforms. I would still do that and probably not use the KaraoQ social features.

Finally, at the scale I operate, I have to consider a lot of things before implementing any new app or service because I have to train people on the platform. We deliver over 1500 karaoke shows a year. I have to know I will have a solid ROI on my time and energy before I implement new things or it just isn’t worth it to me.

In short, I would like a solid pitch on what benefits I will get from this program.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
chrisavis wrote:
In short, I would like a solid pitch on what benefits I will get from this program.
[/i]

The response you receive if any should be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
A lot of companies come along and proclaim themselves as the savior of the industry. What's even worse is that people can be so naive as to believe it.

**To KaraoQ**

Why don't you come up with something that will make singers happy, not piss them off. Why don't you come up with something that will make every singer feel special? Can you do that? Can you come up with something that will make every singer feel like a star?

What you've done is to create something that will turn singers away and create hurt feelings.

I have no respect for a company that can do that to people.

I know that there will be a few KJ's where this will be right up their ally. Mainly because they don't care about whose feelings they hurt. They just want to turn a quick buck. But for the rest of us that do care about people and their feelings, it is a terrible thing.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
what gets me is they said they surveyed the users (venue, host, and singers) and on their scale where 1 is the best, 5 is the worst, they got a 1.3
i just don't believe that.
nicely worded Chris, i am anxious to see the response.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
what gets me is they said they surveyed the users (venue, host, and singers) and on their scale where 1 is the best, 5 is the worst, they got a 1.3
i just don't believe that.
nicely worded Chris, i am anxious to see the response.

I don't believe it either. Not for one minute. Do the survey in my area and you'll probably get a 5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:

Probably none. This software app is not the savior of the karaoke industry, as they want you to believe. The only thing it does is cater to those who think they're above everyone else, which in turn can only make you lose customers and shows.

For those who run an automated system or don't care about their customers feelings, this is just the thing for you. For everyone else, it will do more harm than good.

**On a side note**

And this is just my opinion: But I have a hard time believing any of the claims of how this software can benefit the KJ.

Your survey results. Seriously?! Based on the results just about everyone surveyed is in favor of this app. I seriously doubt that.
The next claim...it's going to get you more jobs and double and even triple what your going rate is now. Does that still apply if you're not going to use the Bump/Bribe/Tip feature?

The whole thing sounds bogus to me and I have a serious problem with this companies credibility. I do not believe their claims. Not even for a minute.

Chris, you are a fine example of someone who became successful based on your hosting skills. You've proven you certainly don't need any "gimmicks" or bogus software to help you. You did it on your own.

To those who feel this is necessary to run a successful show must seriously lack the confidence in their ability to run a great show on their own.

I'm sure at the Karaoke Summit, they'll be a lot of similar presentations about how they're going to save the industry and make you a ton of money. But if you can see through the smoke, you'll see that you don't need any of it to be successful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

let's wait and see what they have to say. I'm with you Alan, but i am really curious to see what the response is.
Unlike Chris, a lot unfortunately do need this kind of crutch to make up for failings elsewhere. look at how many would lose singers and have less successful shows if they did not have one particular brand to make up for their failings elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Quote:
Alan:
For everyone else, it will do more harm than good.

Yep. Now we get to spend even more of our time trying to explain the concept of ethics to the silver spoons and the me-me-me pampered youth as they argue that the bar down the street lets them buy their way to the top.

Thanks for nothing KaraoQ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
let's wait and see what they have to say. I'm with you Alan, but i am really curious to see what the response is.
Unlike Chris, a lot unfortunately do need this kind of crutch to make up for failings elsewhere. look at how many would lose singers and have less successful shows if they did not have one particular brand to make up for their failings elsewhere.

I totally agree which proves: If you can't run a successful show without the use of a "crutch" only proves that you are not very good at what you do and should not be in this business. To put it another way, if you have to rely on anything but yourself to run a good show, you're not a very good host. A truly successful host doesn't rely on anything but his or her skills.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Folks, this is just one example of what I have observed to be the general direction of programs such as this, and others, and I am afraid most of you simply won't like it. It doesn't take a business major to do the math, as it has been presented in perpetuity on this forum.

It has been hypothesized that the ratio of legitimate hosts to illegitimate hosts is around 9:1. If this figure is anywhere near fact, then it makes a ton of sense to cater to venues that are being serviced by the 90%. Alienating the 10% (and, in some of your opinions, an ever dwindling number) is not the worst thing to encounter in the pursuit of a new model. I understand that a large number of venues would not continue a karaoke service if the "non-legal" avenue was abolished, but for those that do, having a "legal" alternative to pursue is where folks like this would come in.

Bottom line is this: If part of their model is to do certain things to lure in less discerning hosts, then they could accomplish that. If what they do alienates a segment of the "legitimate" business sector, based on the raw numbers at hand, it would be more than an acceptable loss...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

pirate <> stupid

Lots of pirates around me run great shows and stick to running a fair rotation. Their only failings are they don't pay for their music and some of them work at discounted rates.

The chances of this app reaching a saturation point where enough singers have it to have a significant, positive impact on their income is very low IMO.

The app creators are based in Nasheville. Lots of karaoke, lots of singers hoping to be discovered. The app creators are local and they will see more penetration in that market than any other market they try to enter.

--------------------

Suggestions for the app creators -

Provide us some numbers of how many singers use the app in specific geographies so we can see if it is worth the effort to try to draw them into our venues. Having 1000 users in Nashville doesn't mean anything to me here in Seattle.

Add a feature where I can send push notifications to every KaraoQ app user (not just people that have been to my show already) within X miles of my venue to let them know about my show, drink specials, etc. Every business knows that net new is key to growth and success.

Since I don't have access to an iPhone or Android, I don't know if the Singer App has a search feature to find KaraoQ enabled shows within X miles of the Singer. If not, add that.

Oh......make a Windows Phone client because Windows Phone is going to see a lot of traction in the next year. I know this in the same way they know the KaraoQ app is going to revolutionize karaoke. Besides, I live in an area where Windows Phone has a much higher adoption rate and I would be missing out on a lot of tips and bribes......I mean bumps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Chris, I don't understand why you keep entertaining this idea. The only way a KJ can double or triple their nightly rate would be to have at least 25 singers with at least 4 of them using the bump feature to get them to position 2 on the rotation.

But again, do you think that's fair to everyone else who's been waiting hours to sing. Do you think these same regulars are going to keep coming back if you implement this feature? In the long run, it can cost you your show. If it drives good customers away, and the bar is losing money, they don't need you.

I don't see any other way this app can increase your nightly take to these levels without using the bribe feature.

Anyone who wants to cater to the Divas, the rich, and the people who think they're above everyone else, with no regard for your customers feelings, then go right ahead. But for me, I want ALL of my customers to feel special and have a good time. Karaoke should be fun for EVERYONE and everyone should get to sing. Not just the special interests groups.

So ask yourself Chris, what's more important: Your customers, or putting a whole bunch of money in the creators pockets at your expense.

Last edited by Alan B on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

it won;t happen anyway Alan. although i will jump on with Chris....
if they can show me that i can make $600+ per night WITHOUT DESTROYING THE NIGHT, i will embrace it and get rich.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
if they can show me that i can make $600+ per night WITHOUT DESTROYING THE NIGHT, i will embrace it and get rich.

If that were the case, I think anyone would embrace it including me.

Even if you were able to shoot out a message to singers using the app alerting them to karaoke at your place; and even if it brought in a few new people, that's still not going to get you more money from the venue. You're still going to get the same pay whether you have 10 singers or 30 singers.

So as you can see, the only way you can double, triple, and quadruple your nightly rate would be using the bump feature. I don't see any other way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

They never did respond to Chris's email, did they? I see that they have good PR.

**one more thing**

If a company can make you believe you need something, even though you really don't, then they are marketing geniuses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

They never did respond to Chris's email, did they? I see that they have good PR.

**one more thing**

If a company can make you believe you need something, even though you really don't, then they are marketing geniuses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
In reference to: "Make Every Singer A Star"

My buddy records each singer, and when the singer steps off stage, he hears his performance used as "Bumper Music"..
Most seem to like being selected for this role..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The title of this thread is called Observations and Questions for KaraoQ, so I would like to offer my observations.

First of all, as far as I know, Chris never got a response from his well written email. It's been at least 10 days.

Second observation: KaraoQ is a partnership with DigiTrax. Here we have one company who can't even provide a proper detailed receipt of downloads purchased from their website, and another company which creates software that seems to cater to:
1. The rich
2. The Divas
3. People who think they're above everyone else.

Seems like a great partnership, don't you think?

Of course, these are only my observations.

And here is my question to KaraoQ:

A simple Yes or No will do.

WITHOUT using the Tipping/Bumping feature of your software, can a KJ double, triple, or even quadruple their nightly salary as you have stated in your press release. No need to elaborate. Just a simple, honest YES or NO.

(I doubt I'll receive a response.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Alan B wrote:
1. The rich
2. The Divas
3. People who think they're above everyone else.

Number 3 is pretty redundant as I would say 99.8 percent of 1 and 2 are also 3 by definition!

8>) 8>)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

shall we assume Chris that no one responded to you?