KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - GEM Series update disc? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
There is a saying that old airplane captains tell new co-pilots when they first step foot in the cockpit . . . If there is dust on the switch -DON'T TOUCH IT!.

This just means that the switch is in the correct position and will seldom, if ever, need to be moved.

I have many discs with lots of dust on them. Some have never been out of the jacket.

You can have 15000 turds, but sheer volume alone does not do anything to change the fact that you have 15000 turds.

I'd much rather pay for 200 discs or songs that I pick out myself than be yoked to the old "gotta buy the bad to get the good" sales model of the old days.

I just don't see how any company can be viable today sticking to that archaic sales model of having to pay for a bunch of turds just to get that one gem you are looking for..

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
ok so I've sorted out my problem files, and Chris has already verified that I am not losing what little bit of my sanity is left, that there are indeed duplicates in the GEM series, which was supposed to be one of it's best selling features.

Now i'm not going to quibble or ask for a refund over a 3 silly songs, I just thought that someone at PEP should know and I wanted to confirm before I sent them an email. Now that my question has been answered, I don't really think there needs to be any more discussion in this thread

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
dsm2000 wrote:
There is a saying that old airplane captains tell new co-pilots when they first step foot in the cockpit . . . If there is dust on the switch -DON'T TOUCH IT!.

This just means that the switch is in the correct position and will seldom, if ever, need to be moved.

I have many discs with lots of dust on them. Some have never been out of the jacket.

You can have 15000 turds, but sheer volume alone does not do anything to change the fact that you have 15000 turds.

I'd much rather pay for 200 discs or songs that I pick out myself than be yoked to the old "gotta buy the bad to get the good" sales model of the old days.

Not saying anyone needs 15,000 tracks, a but a good solid core for ANY kj should be pretty standard. This is a great core for a relatively cheap price.
I'd much rather pay for 200 songs I need vs tracks - but i'd rather have a core selection to start with. Again a 'turd' to one kj may be a regularly requested song to others. And like I said before i've purchased going on over 6000 'singer requests' over the last few years on single downloads, some at $1.99, some as high as $5 per track. I'd say that probably out of those purchased singer requests that over 3/4 are now 'turds' because the singers want to sing them, sing them for a little while, then don't anymore and they were pretty obscure that chances are no one else will sing them regularly. But my old out of date SC library is still getting sung nightly, and no I don't have the GEM, but many to most of the songs on the GEM get done over the years that I do have on SC (or other brands).

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
I pulled reports from two venues this past weekend.

One of these is my one "oldies" bar where most of the singers on Tues night are retired and they sing older standards and classics. On Saturdays a slightly younger crowd comes in and adds a little diversity. Of the top 103 songs performed since July 1st, 60 came from the SC GEM set.

The other bar runs 7 nights a week, has a very mixed and diverse crowd. We started at this venue the 2nd week of July so the time from is almost the same. Of the top 105 songs performed since July 11th, 71 of those came from the GEM set.

In both cases, if I go further into the lists, the GEM remains dominant.

I know some people think it is old, stale material that can be purchased through other vendors, but old and stale is what people like to sing anyway. The bulk of the music performed and most karaoke shows is music that is 5, 10, 15 years old and it has been that way since the beginning of karaoke!

I am still very happy with my GEM purchases!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:37 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I think I may have discovered another duplicate in the Gem i wasn't aware of.
10027-04 - Brian McKnight - Back at One
10116-26 - Brian McKnight - Back at One

can't tell if they are musically different or not. Can someone please confirm for me

-James

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
jclaydon wrote:

can't tell if they are musically different or not. Can someone please confirm for me

-James

According to iCroons, the SC10116-26 track is the same title but the artist is listed as Mark Wills. I also took the time to search through the list on pep.rocks site and it also has the Artist listed as Mark Wills.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:59 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
chrisavis wrote:
Kirks Karaoke wrote:
It says in two places, but not all, that there are UP TO 6000 files. 5925 is close to 6000. So once again Curt wins?

The GEM isn't perfect by any means. Files are poorly named, and they even provide the aforementioned disc to address some errors on their part.

I know this is nit picky, but for the money that's being asked for this package, you'd think that someone would offer a solid listing system....

Lonman wrote:
Still breaks down to $1.33 a song. It's not bad at all, cheaper than many download sites at $2 per.

For 20 year old songs.... of which about 20% would get sung. At least with downloading, you know you're going to use the song in question.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
chrisavis wrote:
I pulled reports from two venues this past weekend.

One of these is my one "oldies" bar where most of the singers on Tues night are retired and they sing older standards and classics. On Saturdays a slightly younger crowd comes in and adds a little diversity. Of the top 103 songs performed since July 1st, 60 came from the SC GEM set.

The other bar runs 7 nights a week, has a very mixed and diverse crowd. We started at this venue the 2nd week of July so the time from is almost the same. Of the top 105 songs performed since July 11th, 71 of those came from the GEM set.

In both cases, if I go further into the lists, the GEM remains dominant.

I know some people think it is old, stale material that can be purchased through other vendors, but old and stale is what people like to sing anyway. The bulk of the music performed and most karaoke shows is music that is 5, 10, 15 years old and it has been that way since the beginning of karaoke!

I am still very happy with my GEM purchases!

I've yet to purchase one. I won't, because I won't support SC in their current business model, but I'm happy to hear that my assumptions about how much gets used is unfounded.

That said, even at 100% usability, I still don't see value. That might be the US to CAD exchange though lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

KaraokeIan wrote:
jclaydon wrote:

-James

According to iCroons, the SC10116-26 track is the same title but the artist is listed as Mark Wills. I also took the time to search through the list on pep.rocks site and it also has the Artist listed as Mark Wills.

I'll have to double check, because I played both and the graphics were identical but i only did a cursory glance at the title screen..

edit: just double checked. Graphics are identical, music sounds identical to me. Guess the people who made the discs put the wrong version on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Quote:

Lonman wrote:
Still breaks down to $1.33 a song. It's not bad at all, cheaper than many download sites at $2 per.

For 20 year old songs.... of which about 20% would get sung. At least with downloading, you know you're going to use the song in question.
I can tell you most of many of these tracks are still very used today.
Yes at least with downloading you might get it used once (if at all if they change their mind which happens). A good solid core should be the backbone of any selection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

For the record, I am still perfectly happy with my purchase. There are 3,000 titles in my set that I personally could sing extremely well, especially the osbcure oldies and one hit wonders

-James