KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - GEM Series update disc? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GEM Series update disc?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:46 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Ok i'm not sure if i'm missing something and the updates for the duplicates are on the disc but I have have at least 3duplicates in the GEM series and it's not listed in the update file on the update disc, that I know of.

So there are two copies of 'clementine' I double checked they are exactly the same and if you check the gem song listing on the PEP it comes up as two versions as well. listed as 10097-07 and 10221-08.

Then there are two copies of the rod stewart version of 'first cut is the deepest'. Again I checked exactly the same musically and both files have the artist name left out. Listed as 10107-03 and 10195-25. Both duplicated listed in GEM listing on site as well.

Luther Vandross - Here and Now. Both identical title screen but not sure if its the same musically. Listed as 10027-09 and 10129-13.

Now there is a notation about 10195 having the wrong art on the disc. Kinda makes me wonder if the art was the songs that were supposed to be on the disc and they burned the wrong files.

Most likely I am just missing something obvious.

Right now when I import everything I transferred over *including the update files* it says there are 5925. Which means that I forgot to transfer a disc or two somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

I am extremely surprised that no one bothered to double check the listing/database file they put up on the website

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
It says in two places, but not all, that there are UP TO 6000 files. 5925 is close to 6000. So once again Curt wins?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I did the math correct you would be missing 2.5 disks of music. If your comp. discounted dup files that would be the difference, but I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:03 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

So I still have to go thru a couple of numbers but after finding 3 discs that I missed, I now have 5,996 minus the utility files. So with the three duplicate files, that's only 1 file that I have missed somewhere. My brain now hurts too much to sort it out today.

-James

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Kirks Karaoke wrote:
It says in two places, but not all, that there are UP TO 6000 files. 5925 is close to 6000. So once again Curt wins?

It says that because there are various packages. You can license the whole thing or the parts you want. The full set has 6,000 tracks, which can be easily verified from the list on our website.

I'm not sure what problem James is having, but we'll help him figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
So, how much is the Gem Collection, now? I think it was mentioned that it went up, significantly, in price.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
So, how much is the Gem Collection, now? I think it was mentioned that it went up, significantly, in price.

The paid-in-full price is $4500 for the full set, although there is a KaraokeFest coupon (KFGEM) that will take $300 off that price. Installments are available with a couple of down payment options, and a payment term of up to 24 months. There is a payment calculator on our website if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:35 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Kirks Karaoke wrote:

The GEM isn't perfect by any means. Files are poorly named, and they even provide the aforementioned disc to address some errors on their part.

I just went through my production GEM set and after correcting a few errors that *I* made in my initial copying and renaming, I have exactly 6000 tracks.

So I guess there is another conspiracy foiled.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Kirks Karaoke wrote:

The GEM isn't perfect by any means. Files are poorly named, and they even provide the aforementioned disc to address some errors on their part.

I just went through my production GEM set and after correcting a few errors that *I* made in my initial copying and renaming, I have exactly 6000 tracks.

So I guess there is another conspiracy foiled.....

Chris: could you double check the numbers/songs I mentioned above to check if it's just me. Thanks

-James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

OK, I stand corrected. Sorry if I typed too soon. :oops:
I do want to buy a Gem. I just can't pull the tiger after buying the used Chartbuster 6000+ hard drive this summer. All the file editing after that took two months, and now I have to reprint the books again. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Still breaks down to $1.33 a song. It's not bad at all, cheaper than many download sites at $2 per.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Lonman wrote:
Still breaks down to $1.33 a song. It's not bad at all, cheaper than many download sites at $2 per.

Not when you figure in that the 2.00 gets you only the song you want so you're not paying that 1.33 for 8 fluff songs you'll never use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

jclaydon wrote:
Ok i'm not sure if i'm missing something and the updates for the duplicates are on the disc but I have have at least 3duplicates in the GEM series and it's not listed in the update file on the update disc, that I know of.

So there are two copies of 'clementine' I double checked they are exactly the same and if you check the gem song listing on the PEP it comes up as two versions as well. listed as 10097-07 and 10221-08.

Then there are two copies of the rod stewart version of 'first cut is the deepest'. Again I checked exactly the same musically and both files have the artist name left out. Listed as 10107-03 and 10195-25. Both duplicated listed in GEM listing on site as well.

Luther Vandross - Here and Now. Both identical title screen but not sure if its the same musically. Listed as 10027-09 and 10129-13.

Now there is a notation about 10195 having the wrong art on the disc. Kinda makes me wonder if the art was the songs that were supposed to be on the disc and they burned the wrong files.

Most likely I am just missing something obvious.

Right now when I import everything I transferred over *including the update files* it says there are 5925. Which means that I forgot to transfer a disc or two somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

I am extremely surprised that no one bothered to double check the listing/database file they put up on the website

I have two versions of Clementine as well. Sand ID Numbers. However, the graphics are different -

SC10097-07 = Clementine in Pink
SC10221-08 = Clementine in Orange

Otherwise they are identical.

The same for the Luther Vandross track - Identical

I also have two versions of "First Cut is the Deepest"

SC10107-03 and SC10195-25 These appear to be identical.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

dsm2000 wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Not when you figure in that the 2.00 gets you only the song you want so you're not paying that 1.33 for 8 fluff songs you'll never use.

For me it came out to 50 cents a track. So what if there are some duds. Unless every track in your library is a track that gets played regularly, you have no reason to complain or put it down. Especially if you aren't buying one.

There are plenty of happy GEM customers out here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Except he's only going to actually use less than 10% of those 6000 tracks, while the hand picked ones have a much higher usage rate. Not to stir up the "big book better" debate for the millionth time :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:

It's actually $0.75 per track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

dsm2000 wrote:
Lonman wrote:

You NEVER know what will and won't be used. What is fluff to you may be that song that that brings in a new customer because you have it. I have bought MANY single downloads that were only sung by the person that requested it only and then only a few times at that. So there is more 'fluff' purchased for customers in single downloads since they are most likely the only ones that want it. I have had discs with songs that sat on the shelf collecting dust for 15 years that are all of a sudden become 'must haves' that I considered 'fluff' because they never were sung before.
So for a good solid core library - yes it's a great deal at $1.33 per track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Lonman wrote:

It's actually $0.75 per track.

Ah why yes it is. Still cheaper than almost ALL download sites.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you don't give your singers a good to great choice of stuff to sing, they won't sing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
It wouldn't matter if it was 10 cents a track... If I'm not going to use (up to) 90% of them on a regular basis, it's worthless.

Besides, it comes with that spiffy agreement... and that is by no means "free."