KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What are you sippin on, while hostin' the karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:13 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
which soda, which alkeyhol?

i'm usually killing a coke. lucky for me, next door to our venue is a little store, which belongs to the venue, so i can buy soda from there and avoid the watered-down funny-tasting bar soda...even if it's free

i need to cut down on the soda tho.

as for alcohol, i'm not a drinker. but i'm good with ONE corona, so the bartenders usually have a free one for me or some regular will tip me one. but lately, i've been sippin on my 1st ever beer choice: heiny.

one venue where i was subbing for 1/2 a year, the KJ i was subbing for was a known drinker. so the venue wouldn't hear of it if i didn't drink. and drink something hard. they felt i needed to show i was drinking to get other folks drinking. it was weird. so they'd had a big cup margarita made for me. those were some wild shows. i gotta admit they had a point: karaoke with a mean buzz on is different than sober karaoke. again, i don't condone drinking and i'm not a drinker. everyone had a mean buzz during karaoke night there. i can see now, they didn't want that to suddenly disappear with me showing everyone i was not drinking.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I'll have a couple beers, but that's about it. Someone on occasion will get me a shot of whiskey or Fireball, but that doesn't happen often. When I first started it was whiskey and coke, that remained my drink up until a few years ago.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:36 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I hadn't been drinking alcohol in this one town as it was sort of volatile and I wanted to have my wits about me in case there were fights. I'm a lightweight so a little goes a long way. If someone swings a mic when I'm sober then I will just make them stop. If I've had a drink than I might fly at them screaming in full tackle mode and we don't want that. I get torn between wanting to maintain party atmosphere and drink along vs. distinguishing myself from the ones who host just to get free drinks. Once we got a show over someone else because the owner said she'd never seen him finish a show sober.

So drinks of choice are ice water from the bar with a back up of gatorade from home in case I can't leave my post for a refill. During the winter it is ice water with a thermos of coffee from home. But lately I've relaxed a bit. I've been having a splash of whiskey in my water. It is just enough to take the nervous edge off and make me think my jokes are funny. But I only have one during the first hour and then I stay sober as it's a long drive home and I'm the only car on the road for the sheriff's to follow. Plus I'm still tring to maintain an illusion that I know what I'm doing up there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
I usually have three helpers / roadies who like to help with both set-up and take-down... so I offer them token compensation of a drink of their choice once set-up and mic checks are made. Normally, I'll have a rye 'n ginger with them... and perhaps one more throughout the evening... But two is normally my maximum... and then I switch to ice water or diet cola. Not that I wouldn't mind having more, but I just don't want to put my driver's licence in jeopardy.

At the end of the night we normally go to an all-night Tim Horton's Coffee Shop, and the drinks are on me.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
I have usually, at some point, been a customer in the venues that I work. My drink of choice for most of my adult life has been Stolichnaya and coke (actually prefer Pepsi :-) ) . Since the bartenders know what I drink, I usually end up with at least one without asking for it. I always have full glass of club soda nearby, which is the only real neccesity.

However, when I finish work I' m usually still wired. I usually head to the office, play and post online for a bit there, then head home and have a nightcap to relax before going to bed.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Miller Lite with a 4 finger shot of Dr. McGillicuddy's Mentholmint
Repeat the Miller Lite
(sometimes repeat the Dr. M, if the wife is there to drive)
Diet Coke with a lime wedge the rest of the evening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I always drink Diet Coke up until about 10:00, then at 10:00ish I get a pitcher of Yuengling. Once the pitcher of Yuengling is gone, I drink water the rest of the night. Occasionally a patron buys me a shot, but that's my normal routine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
A shot of Jaegermeister to start the night. A few beers over the course of the evening. Another shot (sometimes two) if there are parties in house that warrant it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Two beers during the show (unless it's my b'day, then as many as I can drink :beermates: ). Sometimes I drink a 3rd beer beer but rarely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
We don't drink alcohol at shows. The venues provide us with non-alcoholic drinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
About 75% of the time it's diet coke. The other 25% consist of a beer or two with an occasional shot. It's actually kind of ironic. When I'm working I'm offered free drinks all of the time but when I'm out and about I rarely get offered anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:54 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
When I was hosting my own shows, I did not touch a single drop of alcohol. I was there to do a job, not drink.

If someone offered to buy me a shot, I would politely decline.. If they insisted, I would just give the drink to someone else, or just not bother to drink it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I'll usually have a couple of Bud Lights. Then I'll switch to Pepsi by the end of the night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:00 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 38 times
I'm fortunate enough that my best friend has evolved from a guy who liked to come out to my karaoke shows into a guy who knows the equipment, is great with people, and basically serves as my second-in-command. We've worked out a system where each of us can drink on different nights - he drinks on me, of course - and the other will stay sober and drive. My most popular venue is a particularly decadent spot where the drinks flow freely and the owner loves it when I imbibe.

As for my drink of choice? I've befriended the head brewer at a local brewery I'm both a fan of and have worked in the past, so he attends that venue's karaoke show on a frequent basis. One night, while brewer, owner, and karaoke host were elbow-deep in a keg of imperial stout, we hatched a plan to create a signature beer specifically for my karaoke nights. That beer now exists on tap - it's a hoppy session IPA with a citrus-y finish, and it tastes like accomplishment. That is now the exclusive drink of my Thursday night karaoke. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I only drink soda. I can't see running a show while my brain is incapacitated by alcohol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 49 times
I likes to imbibe in a few Captain & Cokes through out the evening.......responsibly, of course. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:15 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

BT Magic wrote:
I likes to imbibe in a few Captain & Cokes through out the evening.......responsibly, of course. :D
Of course, when the music starts sounding like mud is too much lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
[/quote]Of course, when the music starts sounding like mud is too much lol.[/quote]

Is this the voice-of-experience Lon?

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Lonman wrote:
BT Magic wrote:
Of course, when the music starts sounding like mud is too much lol.
When you call a guy up to sing and he just got done singing it is time to ease up a little as well :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Of course, when the music starts sounding like mud is too much lol.[/quote]

Is this the voice-of-experience Lon?[/quote]There has been a night or two from the days I was starting out.