KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Latest offering Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Latest offering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 6 times
First chance I've had to post up this week's offering to the karaoke gods.

Friday was an odd one. Two newcomers arrived shortly after my sis and I and we're looking for somewhere to sit. The rest of The Squad had yet to arrive and there was plenty of space at our table so we told them to join us. After trying to initiate conversation a few times, my sis and I both gave up and just did our thing as we figured they just weren't that talkative.

My songs:
Friday I'm in Love by The Cure
She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
Everlong by Foo Fighters
Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

As a warmup, Friday I'm in Love was okay. Not great but okay.
I sang She Drives Me Crazy without the high pitch of the original. I can reach that sort of level but I don't really like singing at that pitch. I thought, again, it was okay. It was my new track for the evening so I wasn't worried particularly about performing it perfectly, though there isn't much to it. Just a sort of go with the flow kinda song. My sis, however didn't think it was okay. As I sat down she shook her head and just said, "please don't do that again." I had already decided not to because it wasn't really all that fun.
Everlong was good. I love the song and love singing it and it got some good reactions from the crew in the corner across from the stage area.

Here is where I thought things got weird.

After giving my usual, blistering (toot, toot) performance of Go Your Own Way, the guy from our table earlier on (The Squad's usual table had cleared by this point and there were 6 of us now so we hopped over) came over and fanboyed at me for about ten minutes solid. Ever been approached by a guy about 20 years your senior who keeps going on about how much he loved the song and how well you did it? Up until that point, I hadn't. I sing karaoke for the funzies and not for the praise and despite being above par when compared to some of the singers, that is usually what I get. Praise makes me feel uncomfortable. This guy gave it in abundance.
When I got up to sing Wicked Game, I was joined by his wife who decided to sing backing on one of her favourite songs. This was fine by me, I have done backing for others. Usually when asked or just obnoxiously drunk :-p
I find it usually helps if I know the words to the backing as well. She didn't. Luckily you couldn't really hear her over the sound of how awesome I am (that one is sarcasm, not bogging myself up, though you actually couldn't really hear her).

More weirdness followed when she decided is was her turn to fangirl. She also offered me another first by asking me to if she can duet with me sometime. Again, I have sang duets - my sis and I do a pretty cool rendition of Somebody that I used to Know by Gotye and Kimbra - but I have never been asked to sing with a complete stranger. I am interested to see how it goes.

Saturday saw just my sis and I and one other member of The Squad. After choosing songs it turned out to be a bit of a rock takeover. We each did six songs that evening and the majority were slightly heavier than usual for our local (I have mentioned before that the local crowd is mostly older and they tend more toward lounge, swing and croony stuff). It wasn't planned but it we just happened to pick that way when we got there.

I sang:
Two Princes by Spin Doctors
The Bitter End by Placebo
Bubbles by Biffy Clyro
Female of the Species by Space
Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Vienna by Ultravox

Other Squad choices included System of a Down, Tenacious D, Foos, Greenday. Not monstrously heavy tracks but heavier than average.

Saturday's corner crew were a tough crowd and Simon Please (our third Squad member) was determined to please them for some reason. It was quite a while before they got really into it. I don't remember them giving any positive reaction to anything but their next round until about midnight when I noticed a few of them singing along with me to Under the Bridge, which was my first time track of the evening. Obviously the beer took a while to break down those barriers.

It didn't take nearly as long with the guy who was removed from stage twice by the KJ for being too drunk to sing (I didn't think there was such a thing as too drunk to sing until then) and knocked two dartboards off the wall, the first when he removed his shirt to dance and the second when he put it back on when he was told to put it on or leave. He was asked to leave anyway for being so drunk he was wrecking the place. Bye-bye, drunk guy. Bye-bye.

Overall, another cool weekend.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile