KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - The future of karaoke? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The future of karaoke?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I recently came across this video and was blown away? I've never seen anything like it before. Amazing way to run a karaoke show. After seeing it I realized just how antiquated our system of displaying graphics to music on screen really is. It's old, been done for years, the time has come for a new face lift. In this new age of High Definition, this is the direction the manufacturers should take.

I've posted the link for your comments. Now I don't want to hear anything about legalities or turn it into such a discussion. It's about a new way to use the latest technology for new karaoke releases. Obviously it could be done.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:04 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
You mean like laser discs?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
I find them all too distracting. Just give me the words. It may be fine for the audience to watch, but on stage no not for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Ct Kirk Karaoke wrote:
I find them all too distracting. Just give me the words. It may be fine for the audience to watch, but on stage no not for me.

And that's cool. That's exactly what I asked for, peoples opinions on this. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Now, that "Frozen" video was nice. It was sort of like the "Original Footage" line that one of the Karaoke Manufactures put out (and you had to remember to hit the Left or Right Balance off on your mixer or player so that the Main Vocal was eliminated. The question I have is, are all the HD Videos supposed to be like that, or are they going to give you cheezie (sp?) HD videos that have absolutely nothing to do with the songs (like Pioneer did)?

Ct Kirk Karaoke wrote:
Personally, I liked those cheezie LDs that Pioneer had put out. I never found them distracting. Actually, they made the night more fun (because we used to make fun of some of the videos... Like "Blue Bayou," where the guy has an erection at the end of the Video).

Last edited by Cueball on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Yeah, it's pretty, but I could see it as a distraction, too.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:14 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Many of the manus again have the capability to do these with the video options out - they are already re-releasing much of their catalogs in a 'hi def' video format - for just the graphics, they could easily add a video like this for those who want them,
I still use the old Pioneer laserdiscs and some people HATE the videos, some that have never seen them think they are pretty cool - a little out of date however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
Thanks, but no thanks. Not for me. I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) philosophy. Heck, even though I own Just Karaoke 2 (amongst other programs), I still use Winamp for my shows. That's how rock-bottom simple I like it.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
It could be done easily. The HD versions of karaoke that are being done now by several manufacturers could incorporate video clips like this one does. But what manufacturer in the Western world (this was done by a Korean I think) would take such a gamble? I know you said you didn't want to turn this into a legal question but you have to be realistic.

The only way I can see this type of video ever coming to the market is if the artists want to put it out themselves. If anyone else does it, they leave themselves open to double the legal risk - and 50% of the singers hate video backgrounds! :| :|

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
DMX Karaoke wrote:
It could be done easily. The HD versions of karaoke that are being done now by several manufacturers could incorporate video clips like this one does.
Which is what I said, but they;d honestly have to spend twice to put out a video version for those who'd want to gamble and a regular plain graphics version for most that would actually buy. I know personally I wouldn't buy a version with a video if there was a plain graphics version available just from the response on the laserdisc videos I offer.
Any legalities aside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:50 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
The one thing that makes the example a bit different is that it's from a Disney movie. Adults might not be into it but as the movie is aimed at younger people then they might appreciate getting to sing along with their favorite characters. Plus it helps to advertise and strengthen the bond to the movie. As Disney puts out their own karaoke they probably have a bit less legal hassle to do this sort of thing.

I'm not as sure about adults at a karaoke show, though. I have a laser where people can sing BeeGees songs to the original music while the BeeGees are shown singing the song in concert. I hear there is one like that for the Eagles, too. So far no one is as impressed as I thought they might be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:54 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Alan B wrote:
I recently came across this video and was blown away? I've never seen anything like it before. Amazing way to run a karaoke show. After seeing it I realized just how antiquated our system of displaying graphics to music on screen really is. It's old, been done for years, the time has come for a new face lift. In this new age of High Definition, this is the direction the manufacturers should take.

I've posted the link for your comments. Now I don't want to hear anything about legalities or turn it into such a discussion. It's about a new way to use the latest technology for new karaoke releases. Obviously it could be done.

I am not all that impressed, and I certainly wouldn't call it revolutionary. As someone else mentioned, this is pretty much like laserdiscs by pioneer. karaoke videos have been around for a long time, they just haven't been adapted by very many people.

I'd say they would have to come up with something truly unique before I'd be willing to spend money on a program that plays video, being the cheap arse person I am :)

-James

Last edited by jclaydon on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The focus is supposed to be on the singer, not the lyrics display. What's the sense of being a karaoke singer if no one is going to pay attention to you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Lot's of karaoke singers, including me many times, are not all that interesting to look at. This is especially true during instrumental breaks. I am not saying these videos are the way to go, but having something other than the singer to keep the audience visually interested isn't a bad idea. There are some horrible singers for bands where the bands still keep the audience interested visually.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Lot's of karaoke singers, including me many times, are not all that interesting to look at. This is especially true during instrumental breaks. I am not saying these videos are the way to go, but having something other than the singer to keep the audience visually interested isn't a bad idea. There are some horrible singers for bands where the bands still keep the audience interested visually.

It's hard to do both be a good entertainer and be a good singer. That's why we pay big bucks to go see your fav.s in concert.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
If both formats were available I would stick with a graphics only version.
I do remember going to a show and the KJ had a Playboy karaoke version of a song I requested. Talk about being distracted by the background video. What a surprise when naked models appeared in the background video... :reddevil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
alan,

where can i see/can you post like 2 more examples?

i'd like to see what other songs look like with this format

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So, it seems that the consensus is that the video is too distracting. Personally, I like it and think it adds a whole new dimension to the karaoke presentation. I would definitely support this if manufacturers released material in this manor. I think it's time for a change, step outside of the box. I think that it doesn't take away, it just adds to the presentation. But that's my opinion. I like gimmicks.

I also buy all my movies in 3D(whenever they're released in 3D). I know a lot of people don't like 3D either but IMO, it just adds to the presentation and realism.

But, the real test will be if the customers like it. Doesn't matter what we think, it's about the singers. I certainly wouldn't use it if the majority of singers hated it. But I think it's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I think it would be better if one screen could show plain while the one the audience sees had the graphics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I spent a ton of nights converting my Pioneer Laser Discs to WMV files and only recently started using them. I also have the entire set of Pioneer CDG discs which contains about 98% of all the songs on laser disc. Since I have started using them I haven't had one positive comment. I've had a few "oh, they are so funny" type comments and several "I find them too distracting as a singer", and I've a few tell me that it was more difficult to follow the words on the screen. I will continue to use them few awhile in hopes that it will grow on me and my audience.