KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - National Karaoke Association Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
New startup trying to organize a national Karaoke association. Before everyone dog piles his about how this has been tried before and will never work, he is scheduling a web conference for more info. I think he at least deserves a chance to let us know who he is and what his plans are.

https://www.facebook.com/nationalkaraoke

In January we will be having a Web Conference for everyone to learn more about the organization and our objectives. We have already made progress by meeting with some labels. If you want to receive an invite please click on the Join My List link above and sign-up to receive e-mail communications. This will be a work in progress but we already have some valuable backers!

-Chris

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
I'll keep an open mind, but the first sign of requiring kjs to get certified with manus like Sound Choice or Chartbuster and I'm out.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I would pass if the pirates are allowed to join. If they are in I am out. There has to be an accountability requirement to joining.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Vince Prince wrote:
I'll keep an open mind, but the first sign of requiring kjs to get certified with manus like Sound Choice or Chartbuster and I'm out.

I'll bet that's exactly what's going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I would pass if the pirates are allowed to join. If they are in I am out. There has to be an accountability requirement to joining.

I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
New startup trying to organize a national Karaoke association. Before everyone dog piles his about how this has been tried before and will never work, he is scheduling a web conference for more info. I think he at least deserves a chance to let us know who he is and what his plans are.

In January we will be having a Web Conference for everyone to learn more about the organization and our objectives. We have already made progress by meeting with some labels. If you want to receive an invite please click on the Join My List link above and sign-up to receive e-mail communications. This will be a work in progress but we already have some valuable backers!

-Chris

What is the point or need for this, Chris? Do you really think that this will benefit KJ's? Or will it benefit the manufacturers.

The laws governing the music industry, notably karaoke, are outdated! This is the digital age, yet we live by antiquated laws from decades ago. Until this changes, no organization will benefit the KJ.

How about an organization who's primary focus is to have those crazy laws changed? That's what is needed, not another useless organization.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
What would a national karaoke association even do? Generally, karaoke hosts can't seem to agree on anything. Not sure what advantage your average 2-3 night a week, part-time karaoke host would see. I didn't see any kind of mission statement or anything else for a description or goal of the group. A big American flag?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Some sort of psuedo-official looking certificate that can be used when trying to convince bar owners to hire them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
I remember about 10 years ago. Michael V. tried to form his own National Karaoke Association (and he was the self-appointed president). The mission statement was to "Raise the Bar for all KJs" so that we all got treated with respect and were paid the same rates. Unfortunately, there were no goals stated as to how that mission would be accomplished, and the organization fizzled out in a little less than 1 year. There were several of us from here and the JOLT Forum who joined as members (there were no fees set in place to join).

Michael was/is definitely passionate about Karaoke, but his views were somewhat unrealistic. When someone disagreed with his ideas in his NKA, he would bar them from further participation in the NKA, or he would throw his weight around by saying things such as, "How dare you question me! I am the President of the NKA!" (Lonnie... I don't remember now, was it you or Harry that was a member, and he tossed you out because he didn't agree with your opinions???). And, for those who remember Michael, he would have his little temper tantrums here and in JOLT, and then storm off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
I could see it as a lobby group to get the laws changed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i see no reason to poo poo it until giving it a shot. i did it with SC and found out it was a crock of $hit, but i tried it before making judgement.
this may be no different, but it might and as long as the payment for certification with SC/CB, DTE is not involved i am willing to give them a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Danny what is YOUR definition of pirate? Is it the same as SC? Or is it someone that doesn't own their music?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Just like the movie "All The Kings Men" the advice from Deep Throat, "follow the money". In this case when dealing with any organization find out who is benefiting from the actions of the organization. If it truly is an organization that is established for the good of the karaoke industry and the hosts that compose it fine. If, however, it is set up to only help a few hosts or manus at the expense of everyone else, then why join?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:10 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Well by the picture of the american flag, I am assuming it will only be us based.. but even so, i am going to refrain from commenting until i actually hear what their objectives are and if they have a plan of action for accomplishing them..

-James

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Duplicate post.

Last edited by chrisavis on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

-Chris

What is the point or need for this, Chris? Do you really think that this will benefit KJ's? Or will it benefit the manufacturers.

The laws governing the music industry, notably karaoke, are outdated! This is the digital age, yet we live by antiquated laws from decades ago. Until this changes, no organization will benefit the KJ.

How about an organization who's primary focus is to have those crazy laws changed? That's what is needed, not another useless organization.

What is the point of questioning me about it when I don't have any answers for you? Not my organization. Just posting information.

How about you just keep an open mind and wait for the gentleman who is working on this to let us know what his plans are. Maybe, just maybe he has a legitimate plan of action. Maybe he has a plan for lobbying to get laws amended/changed? Who knows. We have to wait and see.

I understand the skepticism given the previous attempts, but starting off beating him up without knowing anything about him is reminiscent of picking on the new guy who starts school mid-way through the year.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
cueball wrote:
I remember about 10 years ago. Michael V. tried to form his own National Karaoke Association (and he was the self-appointed president). The mission statement was to "Raise the Bar for all KJs" so that we all got treated with respect and were paid the same rates.

Michael was/is definitely passionate about Karaoke, but his views were somewhat unrealistic. When someone disagreed with his ideas in his NKA, he would bar them from further participation in the NKA, or he would throw his weight around by saying things such as, "How dare you question me! I am the President of the NKA!"

Cue, I could claim I knew michael valentino personally. :) Back when I live in socalif early 90’s we used to hang out – with other kj’s in san pedro, can’t remember the venue (Radisson I think) with kjsammy. I remember him as a good singer, very friendly, impeccable appearance, always suit & tie. However, a very different personality in the forums; butted heads with a lot of people. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
We need to do something!!! We need to get your view out there!!! We need to get new and older music for our people to sing at prices we can afford. There are some menus that can seem to do the job but they can use our help to do better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
cueball wrote:
(Lonnie... I don't remember now, was it you or Harry that was a member, and he tossed you out because he didn't agree with your opinions???). And, for those who remember Michael, he would have his little temper tantrums here and in JOLT, and then storm off.

Not me, never belonged to any organization to speak of.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Alan B wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

How about you just keep an open mind and wait for the gentleman who is working on this to let us know what his plans are.

Whatever...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next