KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Honestly, How many people complain that... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Honestly, how many karaoke customers have ever complained that the Host didn't sing enough in the night and then got mad and left or said they are never coming back because the host didn't sing enough in the rotation? or talked bad or blogged/facebooked or yelped they are never going back because the host didn't sing enough.

P.S. If it has been blogged or yelped or facebooked that way. Please send me a link. I could really use a good laugh.

Last edited by TedJankowski on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
While that may have happened somewhere on the planet, it is highly unlikely that it's happened much!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I have a few chicas that complain that I don't sing enough!

I always sing the first song, but after that, I never sing once the rotation gets over 5 patrons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:59 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Robin Dean wrote:
While that may have happened somewhere on the planet, it is highly unlikely that it's happened much!

Robin you've got to understand why I posted this. It started over in the discussion about Hosts singing in their rotations. And with all the debate and silly excuses for why they sing more than their customers. Many feel fully justified and that those who complain about it are just being prima donnas or whiners. So I couldn't help but ask. How many people complain that they don't sing enough in their shows and have given them bad reviews or said they were never returning because the host didn't sing enough in their show. Seriously though I'd love to find someone that angry with a host for not singing. I don't have enough fingers and toes to name all the customers I know that fit the other side of the coin. Upset they didn't get to sing because the host sang more than anybody else, or sang before they did, etc.

I look at it like which would I rather have as a disappointment or complaint about my shows. That I ticked a bunch of people off that will hop on yelp and give me bad revues or the probable small number that are a little bummed that I the host didn't get a turn. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I get people telling me to sing more and request me to do so all the time. Sometimes I oblige, other times no - depends on the nights. Whether they leave and never come back if I don't sing? Who knows - highly doubtful, but you just never know

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman wrote:
I get people telling me to sing more and request me to do so all the time. Sometimes I oblige, other times no - depends on the nights. Whether they leave and never come back if I don't sing? Who knows - highly doubtful, but you just never know

Well while I was listening to my A+ Video classes I thought I'd just browse yelp and check a few Karaoke Bar reviews that I know of. Couldn't find one complaint from any customer that the host didn't sing enough and then rated the venue poorly or bad mouthed it because of that. I did find a few where people people went to the bar and one of their reasons for scoring them few stars was that the host was singing and they had been there quite a while and or never got to sing.

As a host and and a karaoke singer. If I want to go and sing with a host I'll invite them to another venue on their night off. We'll get together and go support another of our friends and we get to be part of the show. Or check out some new upstart that is in town undercutting us. Just to see what type of hosting they are running. We actually went one place that we didn't get the contract for and when we got there to see what we were missing. We discovered it was. Not what we were missing but what they were missing. I couldn't believe it. Have you ever been to a karaoke where the host (I'm using that term loosely) is using YOUTUBE to host karaoke in a bar? If you don't believe me I'll give you the name and the place. But, I'm off on a rabbit trail. Maybe this would be another good topic for a discussion. Maybe what's the strangest karaoke experience you've ever been to? Or what was the most unbelievable show you've ever seen, good or bad.

OH and that bar was where that friend of mine had the hosting for awhile. But the Bar got rid of her because too many customers complained to the owner about her singing. (WASN'T ME I went to support her.) I put in to host and so did a few others. But what it boiled down t was $$ with the owner. youtube for 75 bucks a night or Professional system with legal playlists for 250.00. Cheap just gets you cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Quote:
Maybe this would be another good topic for a discussion. Maybe what's the strangest karaoke experience you've ever been to? Or what was the most unbelievable show you've ever seen, good or bad.

A friend invited me to their professional karaoke debut about 3 years ago. I got there a bit early in case they needed any help setting up, and got quite the shock.

She was plugging into the house system, which was quite nice - Peavy SP5 mains with two of those massive 160+ pound Cerwin Vega folded horn subs and a generic Numark 19" four channel DJ mixer.

HOWEVER, my friend brought a HANNAH MONTANA CDG PLAYER! The good news was that there was a DJ booth, so no one knew any better, but I was embarrassed. This wasn't the exact one, but just to give you an idea of what she was rockin:

Anyway, my friend was trying to run the mics through the little karaoke toy instead of through the mixer and was running way out of wack on the mixer levels. I helped out, and pretty much spent my night running her board for her while she called up singers and loaded discs.

She actually ended up keeping that gig for about 6 months, and upgraded her equipment and now, 3 years later, hosts karaoke as her full time job, 5 days a week, and fills in for me here and there.

Anyway, I shouldn't judge....my first gig was pretty much a disaster too, but at least I didn't have a Hannah Montana CDG player!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 43 times
Quote:
what was the most unbelievable show you've ever seen, good or bad.

Around 1998, I visited a new show in a hotel bar that turned out to be a handheld boom-box cassette player, with plug-in mikes. Not karaoke cassettes, just good old regular cassettes, with handwritten lyrics to the songs the guy had. If you wanted to sing, he loaded it up, fast-forwarded to your song, handed you a mike and a lyrics sheet, and stood close to you holding the boombox. No TV, no graphics, just some ratty old cassettes and a boombox.
I had to admire the KJ's skill in acquiring that job, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
I have never put in a request for aKJ to sing a song for me. If I want to hear a song; I will usually sing it myself. I think most of the requests come from Non-singers who just want to hear their favorite song but don't want to sing it themselves. It's their way of getting to do the electric slide on karaoke night. Nothing but filler that takes the place of another song being sung by a karaoke singer.

If you want to play dance music during your karaoke show you should advertise it as such. Then the die hard karaoke singers will know to avoid your show in favor of someone else's show who doesn't play filler music or dance sets.

Truth in advertising is a wonderful concept.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

BruceFan4Life wrote:
I have never put in a request for aKJ to sing a song for me. If I want to hear a song; I will usually sing it myself. I think most of the requests come from Non-singers who just want to hear their favorite song but don't want to sing it themselves. It's their way of getting to do the electric slide on karaoke night. Nothing but filler that takes the place of another song being sung by a karaoke singer.

If you want to play dance music during your karaoke show you should advertise it as such. Then the die hard karaoke singers will know to avoid your show in favor of someone else's show who doesn't play filler music or dance sets.

Truth in advertising is a wonderful concept.

How wonderful for you that you can sing your own requests. You know what, there are many people that don't sing & want to hear a song, if I know it - guess what, i'll do it! I get requests all the time, from singers and non-singers alike.
Dance music is a whole different topic. But I occasionally do that as well - always some line dance , never more than twice & ALWAYS - and I mean ALWAYS requested BY the singers and they are the first ones up on the floor usually!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
I can imagine some of the "hosts shouldn't sing" folks sitting in karaoke bars and then rolling their eyes and muttering under their breath when a host comes up.

But what's makes their complaint so humorous is that there have been times when they have gotten on stage and someone has rolled their eyes and muttered under their breath at them as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
It's not a yelp review, so it probably won't count for anything, but there is one KJ out here I specifically look forward to hearing sing every rotation. Depending on which gig he's at, a rotation could be between 6 and 20 singers. Some spots are young party crowds, some are older crowds who sing mostly country and oldies.

There's another who is a pretty terrible singer himself, but he's usually pretty entertaining. His rotations get really long, but it's a bar where people come sing one song, and that's about it, so it can feel like a long rotation if you are there to sing a lot of songs. I can usually make it through two rotations before I leave, and I'm cool with that. Younger, party crowd. Usually a good vibe.

One guy is a pretty good singer, and the bar has the tiniest rotation most nights, but he owns the bar and runs it because he loves singing. I wish he'd either sing more or that more people would, because singing every twenty minutes can be tiring. On special occasion nights, he pulls himself out, I think.

One guy sings every rotation, and pulls himself out if the rotation gets too big, but also chatters a lot between singers and attempts to be the humorous star/host of his show. It's sometimes annoying, sometimes endearing.

I guess, for me, having a good time is the important thing. Whether the host sings or not does not mean I won't have a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

chrisavis wrote:
I can imagine some of the "hosts shouldn't sing" folks sitting in karaoke bars and then rolling their eyes and muttering under their breath when a host comes up.

But what's makes their complaint so humorous is that there have been times when they have gotten on stage and someone has rolled their eyes and muttered under their breath at them as well.

Yep just what every Karaoke host strives for. Many of their customers grumbling and complaining under their breath. But, that's sad if you are happy with that and think that's just the way the business goes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Problem is there are some that will grumble under their breath because there is absolutely no pleasing them. A host sings in every rotation, the version of the song is wrong, too much effect on the mic, too little effect on the mic, music is too loud, vocals are too loud, etc, etc. If it isn't one thing it's another. A host could theoretically run the perfect show and SOMEONE will grumble. I had this all rolled into one person, an old lady came in last night & she was complaining she was waiting too long - we had 8 singers, when she put her song up, she was number 6 in line, she thought she should get right up. Then when she sang she complained the version wasn't good, it was the one she asked for (brand specific which I had and gave her). Then she said everyones mic is too low & she wanted her mic higher than the music (well duh, that is what I try to accomplish anyway). When she came up to put her second song in she asked how long was the wait, I said approx. 15 min or about 5 songs ahead of her. She complained and walked out. I'm pretty sure she would've have been a host singing hater as well if I happened to, my voice was shot & I didn't even open the night last night.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:38 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I think for some complaining is part of the sport of karaoke--adds drama to the evening. It's like when those Chilean miners were trapped underground and the authorities up top refused some of their simple requests. The relatives were outraged but the psychologist was trying to keep the miners united in their hatred of someone up top instead of have them direct their frustrations on each other. Behold the karaoke host.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman wrote:
Problem is there are some that will grumble under their breath because there is absolutely no pleasing them. A host sings in every rotation, the version of the song is wrong, too much effect on the mic, too little effect on the mic, music is too loud, vocals are too loud, etc, etc. If it isn't one thing it's another. A host could theoretically run the perfect show and SOMEONE will grumble. I had this all rolled into one person, an old lady came in last night & she was complaining she was waiting too long - we had 8 singers, when she put her song up, she was number 6 in line, she thought she should get right up. Then when she sang she complained the version wasn't good, it was the one she asked for (brand specific which I had and gave her). Then she said everyones mic is too low & she wanted her mic higher than the music (well duh, that is what I try to accomplish anyway). When she came up to put her second song in she asked how long was the wait, I said approx. 15 min or about 5 songs ahead of her. She complained and walked out. I'm pretty sure she would've have been a host singing hater as well if I happened to, my voice was shot & I didn't even open the night last night.

Hey Lonman, as long as you've given them everything they asked for you can't do anything more. Sometimes the way we ask SO how was it can make a hugged difference. If someone asks for more reverb. I always ask if I've given them enough or while they are singing ask for a thumbs up or down. I look like at it like I'm there for 5 hours. I think I can bend over backwards for 5 hours and still sleep well at night knowing I did everything I could to please the customer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:01 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I do too as far as giving specific little whatevers to each singer, however my point was no matter what - you will NEVER make everyone happy.
Like I said I get requests from people that don't sing but just want to hear the song. They are paying customers just as much as any singer - but according to some here, I shouldn't accommodate those people because that would mean I would be taking up one spot - well that is in fact true - however look at it in the way that if they sang - then THEY would be taking up that exact same spot. So what is the difference if I sing a request for a non-singer or if the non-singer came up to the stage. I've seen that happen as well where a non-singer would just stand and hold the mic because they couldn't sing (or butchered it to the point people actually got up to leave) so they just listened to the music while on stage. I would think that at least if I sang the song, it would be more enjoyable to everyone in the audience than to hear someone annihilate a song or not even try singing it at all but still taking up that same singing spot!
So again, where is the line? Who do you try to please - just singers, or everyone in the bar - singers and karaoke-friendly non-singers alike.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:38 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
leopard lizard wrote:
I think for some complaining is part of the sport of karaoke--adds drama to the evening. It's like when those Chilean miners were trapped underground and the authorities up top refused some of their simple requests. The relatives were outraged but the psychologist was trying to keep the miners united in their hatred of someone up top instead of have them direct their frustrations on each other. Behold the karaoke host.....

I think some KJs are so egotistical that they just don't care how much they make their customers complain. They are there to show off and they will attempt to do so no matter who it pisses off. Their egotism is usually unfounded but they tend to think that THEY are the show. You can not convince them otherwise because they will never change their ways. It's their little power trip and they have to exercise their control over it; whether it's fair or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
BruceFan4Life wrote:
leopard lizard wrote:

I think some KJs are so egotistical that they just don't care how much they make their customers complain. They are there to show off and they will attempt to do so no matter who it pisses off. Their egotism is usually unfounded but they tend to think that THEY are the show. You can not convince them otherwise because they will never change their ways. It's their little power trip and they have to exercise their control over it; whether it's fair or not.

....and I believe some singers think they are actually better than they think they are. We give them their 3.5 mins of stardom and then they need to come back down to earth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

chrisavis wrote:
....and I believe some singers think they are actually better than they think they are. We give them their 3.5 mins of stardom and then they need to come back down to earth.

This is the attitude that blows my mind. As karaoke host. Who am I that I would need to say about any of my customers they need to come back down to earth. I'm not there best friend of their friends or family that have to live with them everyday. What business would I have to say that about anyone for that matter. Unless I'm joking with a friend who thinks they are all that. As far as I'm concerned they don't have to be able to sing a note. I'm there to make them happy. That's what I'm paid for. I'm not paid to be the entertainment. My customers are paying me to make them a rock star for that 3.5 minutes. And as far as I'm concerned they ARE. Why must the Host's ego have to get in the way so much?