KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Best place to buy new or used cdgs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:07 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Where is the best place to buy new or used cdgs. Or a collection that you can download onto your computer?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
These days I've either been hitting deparment or music stores for Sybersound or E-bay for others. Have to be very careful on e-bay though. Counterfeits abound. Since I own a professional re-surfacer I also buy a lot of used discs.

Some folks here will recommend either the GEM series from SC (not CD+G, but MP3 discs) or All Star, also available at department stores. I do not. Please keep in mind that my opinion is, of course, subjective. Your mileage may vary...

Another alternative - though more expensive - are custom discs made with tracks that you choose. There are both pros and cons with these, that others will probably present.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 38 times
I think Joe's said it all, nail on head. It's all very subjective. Personally, I hand pick my tracks and prefer a hard copy, so custom disc CDG is the way to go for me, usually from Customburn.com and Selectatrack.com. This is an ideal way of fine tuning what you get, but can be a fairly expensive method too. £2 sterling per track is the average rate on the UK based sites.
There are other download sites that offer discount/special offers for a large number of downloads. I think Select-A-Track and SelectKaraoke (Select's American sister site) offer this. Tricerasoft and Karaoke-Version definitely do. Joe mentioned All Star - I haven't had much experience with their site since much of their catalogue now exists on Custom Burn, and being UK based I find it much easier to go there. There is also the Karaoke Cloud.
As for buying manufacturers' discs, the last two sites I have used are Kingsbridge Karaoke and ASAP Karaoke. Both have been good, the latter is especially for stocking these rare discs from obscure brands (y'know, the short lived labels that only survived for five discs but just so happened to put out your favourite song where no-one else did). Kingsbridge is very useful for picking up that elusive Sweet Georgia Brown disc, amongst other brands.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
All good ideas, but I'll add in thrift shops, garage sales, etc. if you are just building up what you can.

I scored two boxes of Chartbuster promo discs for a total of 210 songs for roughly $4 at a local Good Will store! Made my week...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I go to thrift shops and yard/garage sales - even pawn shops on a regular basis looking for that diamond in the rough score & ALWAYS look for karaoke discs. In 20+ year I think I have ever seen 3 karaoke discs in a thrift shop once - all RCA 4 song multiplex discs (that I didn't need any of the songs on them anyway so walked away). People don't give their discs away that freely around here and most pawn shops don't even buy them for some reason - saying they have no real resale value since it's such a niche market (this was quite a few years back however).

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Guess I just got lucky. I've also scored at a Hastings bookstore in the used section under "Various"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
The local Goodwill store has been very good to me. Also, you can add "used" to your e-bay search key, by brand. Been doing that a lot lately in order to expand my latin music base.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

e-bay I get discs all the time. Never been lucky in any thrift store - ever to date.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Lonman wrote:
e-bay I get discs all the time. Never been lucky in any thrift store - ever to date.

Ditto... That goes for Pawn Shops too. The only thing I have seen my local Pawn Shops deal with is Electronics and Jewelry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Like I said when I asked a few years back, the pawn shops pretty much told me there is no resale value in karaoke discs because it's such a niche market. This may have changed in the last few years, but I still never see any in pawn shops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
cueball wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Ditto... That goes for Pawn Shops too. The only thing I have seen my local Pawn Shops deal with is Electronics and Jewelry.

Different in hawaii i guess. Our local pawn shops carry laserdiscs all the time and the salvation army has cdgs that people purchased for home use and donated. Never seen SC though but always on the lookout :)