KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Upcoming book reprint idea ???? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think of the idea of adding artist / band logos to the book?
Yes 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
not for sure 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
leopard lizard wrote:
I think it adds interest but--and I hate to even bring it up--are the logos copyrighted/trademarked or are they okay to use?

Who gives a (@$%&#!)!! Let's stop with this prim and proper legal bullshit! Enough is enough already!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Alan B wrote:
leopard lizard wrote:
I think it adds interest but--and I hate to even bring it up--are the logos copyrighted/trademarked or are they okay to use?

Who gives a <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>!! Let's stop with this prim and proper legal bullshit! Enough is enough already!

Nice... Real nice Alan. And right after you just got through telling me off in another topic thread...
Alan B wrote:
Calm down Cue! Everyone has a right to voice their opinion whether you agree with it or not.

So, does that right also include the right for someone else to post a question (even about a subject which many feel has been talked to death)?... not to mention the fact that LL's comment was made 1 month ago (and 2 pages back in this thread).... But real nice of you to bring it to everyone's attention again anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
leopard lizard wrote:

Who gives a <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>!! Let's stop with this prim and proper legal bullshit! Enough is enough already!

Cool, since it's ok, i'll rename my company Firelight - logo is already made and ready! :twisted: :roll:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Do what you want, Alan. But if you check it out you will see that the logos are indeed the creative work of someone and are copyrighted/trademarked. In fact there are places where you can download the logos but there are terms of use (personal use only) and some charge fees. If they charge to use them at some places then perhaps they aren't just free for the taking?

I guess this goes along with Chris's thread on what is bugging him. If you had worked hard to create something that was a success wouldn't you want control over how it was used and to be compensated for your work? Why is it prim and proper NOT to want to take from others without their permission? Not everything is in the Public Domain.

I'm not saying Gemini is doing anything hurtful. For all I know some may like the free advertising. But the fact remains that those logos are someone's intellectual property and so far everywhere I've found them there have been requirements for permission to use them. No one has to take it seriously but for those who care, at least the point should be brought up so that they are aware.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Brian A wrote:
btw, some graphics are my design, some designed by a pro-graphic designer & others are public domain.

Just to be clear, I am very well aware of the copyright/trademark graphics. The Disney graphics were not from Disney per se. Not from the very powerful & well-funded team of attorneys. They’re from the old Corel cd clipart collection sold for public use (purchased early ’90’s) & now public domain. The middle Disney logo was from the cd jewel case from their karaoke series also being sold to the public (& what a better way to advertise & pump up their sales).

Designs I created were from Fancy Fonts cd collection, also sold to the public, the rest, i.e., 2 ladies holding the microphone, & the dj behind the booth I paid a graphic artist to design it for me. I even posed to capture my facial likeness, headset & all. The young girl singing – just my wishful imaginary thoughts. :lol:

If none of these are ‘kosher’, they can send me a cease & desist letter. I will be more than glad to comply. :wink:

Last edited by Brian A on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
leopard lizard wrote:
Do what you want, Alan. But if you check it out you will see that the logos are indeed the creative work of someone and are copyrighted/trademarked. In fact there are places where you can download the logos but there are terms of use (personal use only) and some charge fees. If they charge to use them at some places then perhaps they aren't just free for the taking?

I guess this goes along with Chris's thread on what is bugging him. If you had worked hard to create something that was a success wouldn't you want control over how it was used and to be compensated for your work? Why is it prim and proper NOT to want to take from others without their permission? Not everything is in the Public Domain.

I'm not saying Gemini is doing anything hurtful. For all I know some may like the free advertising. But the fact remains that those logos are someone's intellectual property and so far everywhere I've found them there have been requirements for permission to use them. No one has to take it seriously but for those who care, at least the point should be brought up so that they are aware.

the idea was presented is all...I feel it has been taken way ..if you don't want to do it don't ..make up your own logos..there are a thousand ways of doing it....my god...cant people make suggestion without someone everytime legal this and legal that...give me a break.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

GeminiMALE40 wrote:
leopard lizard wrote:

the idea was presented is all...I feel it has been taken way ..if you don't want to do it don't ..make up your own logos..there are a thousand ways of doing it....my god...cant people make suggestion without someone everytime legal this and legal that...give me a break.

You're right. And that's why I flew off the handle. It seems that everything has to turn into a legal debate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

leopard lizard wrote:

OK, point taken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
Brian A wrote:
btw, some graphics are my design, some designed by a pro-graphic designer & others are public domain.

Just to be clear, I am very well aware of the copyright/trademark graphics. The Disney graphics were not from Disney per se. Not from the very powerful & well-funded team of attorneys. They’re from the old Corel cd clipart collection sold for public use (purchased early ’90’s) & now public domain. The middle Disney logo was from the cd jewel case from their karaoke series also being sold to the public (& what a better way to advertise & pump up their sales).

Designs I created were from Fancy Fonts cd collection, also sold to the public, the rest, i.e., 2 ladies holding the microphone, & the dj behind the booth I paid a graphic artist to design it for me. I even posed to capture my facial likeness, headset & all. The young girl singing – just my wishful imaginary thoughts. :lol:

If none of these are ‘kosher’, they can send me a cease & desist letter. I will be more than glad to comply. :wink:

Brian, I think that I'll use the Disney Font for my logo. Thanks for a great idea... Oops, is that legal?? OMG?

Attachments:
walt.jpg
walt.jpg [ 21.37 KiB | Viewed 26537 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
leopard lizard wrote:

Cool, since it's ok, i'll rename my company Firelight - logo is already made and ready! :twisted: :roll:

I just checked - firelightkaraoke.net - is available to register. And a bunch of other variations too.....

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:
Brian A wrote:

Brian, I think that I'll use the Disney Font for my logo. Thanks for a great idea... Oops, is that legal?? OMG?

Alan, was that a little petulant snide remark? You should check my post again. No disney fonts were used. The only thing associated with Disney was the logo from their cd jewel case karaoke series. Same as others here posting 8125 cd jewel case with sc logo. No different than other posts displaying SC & CB certificates with logos as per their certification. I wouldn’t doubt if those certificates are also displayed @ their venue & karaoke books. Am I infringing copyright trademark by using their karaoke logo off their cd? Do they care??

And if they do care, surely they’ll bring it to my attention, the most contemptible person that I am (which probably falls under ‘Fair Use Act’ anyway). I researched this. They will start by asking me nicely to cease & desist, comply within 15 days & inform them regarding my compliance; or legal action will follow.
Alan B wrote:

“Enough is enough already”! Your word, not mine. Jeeez! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:

chrisavis wrote:
I just checked - firelightkaraoke.net - is available to register. And a bunch of other variations too.....-Chris

:o :o :P :P Neh Neh Neh Neh Neh Neh!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
Alan B wrote:

chrisavis wrote:
I just checked - firelightkaraoke.net - is available to register. And a bunch of other variations too.....-Chris

:o :o :P :P Neh Neh Neh Neh Neh Neh!!

Brian... Of course I'm kidding! Just having a little fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

8) Cool! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

My daughters school used to have Disney characters painted on the side of the building (a project by the 5th & 6th graders). They DID get a cease and desist order and had to repaint over it. Dumbest thing I ever saw!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
My daughters school used to have Disney characters painted on the side of the building (a project by the 5th & 6th graders). They DID get a cease and desist order and had to repaint over it. Dumbest thing I ever saw!

It's not only dumb, it's a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Lonman wrote:

It's not only dumb, it's a shame.

Yep, but that is the legalities of owning a trademark & copyright! You have that right!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
Came across the old post and was wondering how many of you since have started using art work in you books..now????

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Nope. Books are big enough without adding needless logos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
twansenne wrote:
I may steal your idea, pending you did not copyright it. Lol
You can't copyright "an idea."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next