KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - ...this could've made me a karaoke legend.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:28 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
either as a singer, or as a karaoke host
what have you experienced that you felt could've made you a karaoke legend
even if it's in your own mind

what have you experienced that could get you a nomination into the 'karaoke hall of fame'

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:55 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Still being in business after 20years

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:07 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
karaoke foam party at a nudist resort...nuff said

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
twansenne wrote:

I echo that statement! Also, being in business that long, I think I’m a legend :wink: (so are the few others in the forum). Achieving 20yr+ is a career milestone that we all cherish; our names should be in the “karaoke hall of fame.” :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Brian A wrote:
twansenne wrote:

I echo that statement! Also, being in business that long, I think I’m a legend :wink: (so are the few others in the forum). Achieving 20yr+ is a career milestone that we all cherish; our names should be in the “karaoke hall of fame.” :lol:

Around here you and Lonman are legends.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Ct Kirk Karaoke wrote:
Brian A wrote:
twansenne wrote:

Around here you and Lonman are legends.

twansenne, SwingcatKurt added. I think Lone Ranger is up there too! (can't think of others right off hand)

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

great responses!

I salute you and nominate all of you into the karaoke HOF

for me: once, on my karaoke night we sold out all the cups at our venue--at a restaurant chain. It became standing room only and folks were still coming in. Thanks to a great bartending staff, and I think it was also a day before a holiday, too. I had to keep repeating over the mic that we currently had no more cups, can folks quickly down their drinks and return their cups, ASAP because we still had folks coming in. The managers walked around with huge $ in their eyes while the bartenders and I kept celebrating all night long. We were there the day we sold out cups. Sold out!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

the infamous Biden VP night:

The summer night President Obama chose Biden as his VP, there was a power failure in our area that also struck our venue about 10 min into my gig. The place went pitch dark. But the outlet I used to plug in the karaoke machine & TV was on the emergency circuits, I guess, because my karaoke unit still had power though the entire room around me was in pitch darkness.

I kept looking towards the bartenders to see if we'd shut down the night, but they started doing everything by hand in the darkness and they were determined to make money outta this. Since no one told me to stop, I continued. And we had karaoke in the dark. Someone went around lighting candles on all the tables which of course folks waved in the air during every karaoke song like a concert.

You should've seen the faces of innocent folks when they walked into our pitch-black venue at night. Priceless. And folks kept coming in which kinda pissed me off as the night continued without power. And with no A/C, it got really hot and funky. Folks got on their cells, called more folks to come in and party in the dark.

In between karaoke singers, to voice my frustration at the growing crowd and heat and pitch blackness, I started playing songs to highlight the situation:

Sean Paul's "Gimme The Light"
Parliament Funkadelic's "Flashlight"
Snap "I Got The Power"
Nelly "Hot in Herre"
Bruce Springsteen "Dancing In The Dark"
etc, etc

and so on. Folks had the time of their life. And it was interesting to have karaoke in the dark for 3 or so straight hours. Looking out into a sea of candles felt nice. Especially when a good singer hit a really good song and sang it well. Looking out into all the candles was nice.

To me, what puts this in the HOF is that the bar/venue still made money. On a night when the entire restaurant was practically without power, karaoke literally saved the day. Karaoke put the bar on its shoulders and hustled.

8) 8) 8)

Fast forward to the Ravens/San Fran Superbowl. A different venue where I host karaoke asked me to come in and DJ their Superbowl party, no karaoke. Remember the power failure during the Superbowl? I remembered the Biden VP night and played the same songs. But this time a bartender who didn't miss a beat went over and turned off the lights at the bar during the Superbowl blackout while I played music. And when I played "Flashlight" folks took out their iPhones and turned on their flashlights on their cells. :D

So, if any of you have a similar situation with power failure, lemme suggest those icebreaker songs to play.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:25 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
about ten years ago we were working for another person and the CAVS unit locked up after a song. we called her and she brought another one that would not boot. it was going to be an hour before she could get back to us with another one (perhaps some of my disdain for CAVS). My wife decided to sing her song a-Capella then asked if anyone else would like to try one....even after the new CAVS was brought in we continued this way as there were even people who would not sing normally raising their hand to sing without the music and the whole bar at times became one big sing along.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
we are members of the 20+ year club as well :D

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
twansenne wrote:

I've been in the biz since cassettes and lyric sheets so I could agree, but I have other claims:

Karaoke during a hurricane blackout - and othe blackouts - using an all in one and a battery power source.

Karaoke during a major blizzard that closed all bars but mine and PACKING THE PLACE

The very most important- A televised Karaoke night for The Make-A-Wish foundation. Still mist up when I think about it.

This was a good question to ask, because it reminds me why I love this business. Thank you.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:09 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

kjathena wrote:

oh no you can't stop there
I gotta hear this

did you go nude too?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Product 19 wrote:
kjathena wrote:

oh no you can't stop there
I gotta hear this

did you go nude too?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28386&hilit=nudist

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:20 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

aw, I'm not authorized to see it

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Product 19 wrote:
You probably need a few more posts before you're able to view the KJs ONLY section of this Forum.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
Product 19 wrote:
You probably need a few more posts before you're able to view the KJs ONLY section of this Forum.

What? as active as he's been, only 17 posts to date? LOL (kidding)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
cueball wrote:
Product 19 wrote:
KJ's forum is a permission thing. One would need to join it first. It's not automatic.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
I got to sing at the Motown 40th Anniversary party, for several Motown greats. What an awesome experience. Mary Wilson (Supremes) was dancing while I was singing.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
I got a nerdy karaoke tattoo for a nerdy tattoo show that's premiering at some point this summer? Does that count?

I am a legend at one of the tiny bars here for having the largest list.

I will never be a legend for singing quality, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

doesn't make me a legend, but something to cross off the ol bucket list:

2 years ago or so, a local radio disc jockey, live on the radio stopped by our venue to give out prizes to folks and do some sort of quick big event announcement or something and asked me to play background music while he talked live

this wasn't scheduled and i wasn't told beforehand--i had to react on the fly. it was a one of those pop mix radio formats so i played all my current pop songs. he was there for like 45 min or so. he had emergency music handy if needed, but never needed it.

guess it's the closest i'll ever get to being a radio DJ :D

i kept thinking in the middle of a pop song, i should suddenly switch the song to hardcore rap or rock while he was live, but nah