KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Can I Copy Your Disc? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I Copy Your Disc?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Went to a show last Friday. When I go out with my two friends, I bring a small amount of custom disc, so we can sing good versions when the KJ is lacking. The KJ noticed that the version of Grandpa was different than what she has, DK. I explained that I had most versions of the song, and it took a while to figure out which one didn't have loud Naomi background singer as my friend doesn't have a strong voice. The pocket songs version is perfect for my friend.

While the host was talking to me about the song, I explained that I am a host, and I try to have the best versions. She told me that she has been looking for the SoundChoice version of Date Rape. I said that I had it right here on my first custom disc. She asked if she could copy it, but it would have to be next week as she doesn't have her disc copier that night. I told her that there is no way I would let her copy it. I let her know that there is no way in hell I would let her copy it as it is illegal for her to have it without owning the disc, and that I was surprised a professional host would even ask me to. Besides being illegal, my music is part of my business. I buy the best versions available. This sets me apart from all the other host who may have a version of a song, but a bad version.

Has anybody else been asked to have their disc copied by a host? I guess it's better that she asked, unlike the host I caught copying my songs on a per song basis, using convenience for me the next time I wanted to sing one of my songs as the reason. I didn't believe for one minute that if somebody asked for a song that was in my Folder, that she wouldn't play my song for them. I made sure I watched her delete my Folder of songs, though I guess she could have gone to the recycling bin and restored them when I left.

Felix

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
I only carried discs around for a short time. But in that time, I went to two different places (both in SoCal) where they ripped the discs I gave them to play into their systems.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
only been asked a few times, mostly been offered copies of their discs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:44 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I'd avoid that show in the future knowing she'll copy (or usually has the ability) to copy customer discs.

I've had kj's come up to me offering to swap libraries so we both could have each others songs. I always refused on the grounds - why the hell would I want my competition to have what I offer that they aren't? Funny thing is they always were offering All Hits, SGB, Backstage - I mean really, i'm going to give you my Sound Choice, DK, Pop Hits in exchange for that crap?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:54 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
We were asked by other hosts a few times--that is why I say disc host doesn't necessarily mean "pure" as these were other disc hosts. We told them where they could buy it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I knew several disc hosts back in the day with a duplicator in their rig. Customer brought up a disc, it'd be copied in about 10 minutes and suddenly appear in their books the next day or week. I'm sure some disc based hosts still do that with customer discs - especially if the customer has a special custom disc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
One of my relatively new karaoke singers approached me recently and asked if he could "copy my program"... As noted in previous posts, I've purchased Just Karaoke II, but continue to use Winamp.

So, I told him he could just download Winamp... It's free. (Come to think of it, Winamp may no longer be available. Oh well.)

He went on to explain that it wasn't the program he wanted.... He wanted to copy my karaoke tracks...

I said I'd be happy to supply him with a copy of my hard drive..... for a one-time payment of $35,000.00 cash - no cheques. I picked the number out of the blue...

I'm sure he thought I was kidding at first... but it didn't take much explanation on my part, for him to figure out that it wasn't going to happen.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Earl wrote:
.......... for a one-time payment of $35,000.00 cash - no cheques.

That's only 28k USD......hmmmmm :)