KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Goodbye to New Owners Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
mrmarog wrote:
Thank you Johnny, You summed it up very nicely. The month of May is a very good time to take a vacation/time off in Florida for 2 real good reasons: 1) the tourists are gone, 2) the weather is still reasonably nice (not too hot yet). To clarify other ideas: 1) they assure me that money for remodelling is not an issue, 2) permits will not be needed or be a problem, 3) their contractor works til wee hours in the morn, 4) their will never be an evening when karaoke won't be available based on the contractors abilities. These issues have been brought up and no firm dates were ever established as to when any of these improvements were to take place.

My wife and I plan on taking the "vacation of a lifetime" any where from 2 weeks to a month cruising the Mediterranian. Cruises can be obtained "last minute" at some of the best prices, and this gig is the only committment that we have pending at this time. The new owner is jacking us around by: 1) Not giving us a firm date for remodel, 2) not accepting who I want to have replace me, 3) minimizing the number of shows that my replacement would have to do.

I have a proven track record with 275 flawless (and bonifiable) shows at this location, and I HAVE performed. So far everything they have said has been idle chatter.

Now I see more...and I retract my future statement and offer my apologies to mrmarog.

First I hope you and your wife have a FANTASTIC vacation.

Second, when you return I hope you find and new location quickly and I know your karaoke fans will follow you.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
@DJCC: Apology accepted, and appreciated. A new developement in our vacation plans is our little (3.14 lbs, Pi) doggie Mickie. Mickie is nearly 21 years old and blind, but otherwise is very, very healthy. Last week he had a seizure on Friday night and Saturday night, and now we are having a problem finding someone that isn't nervous about him dying while in their care. I don't blame them for that, so now it looks like it is "California here We come", and since we have six weeks we might even drive there from Florida. The cruise might have to be knocked down to 10-12 days max. Time off from a stressful situation is still a vacation in my eyes.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Sorry to hear of your Mickeys problems....If I lived close enough I would offer to doggie sit. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful vacation. PM me if you want...I am in Florida and maybe we can work something out.

Athena

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

KJAthena, That is a very gracious offer.

Thank you,
Mrmarog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Sorry to hear you lost your gig. Always hurts. I've been lucky enough to work in an area where THEY call ME (long story, but I have lots of history in the town I'm in, and never took out the flame thrower in my early 20's when I was a "rock God" and so still had bridges to cross when I got older and mellowed into a "karaoke GENIUS!").

Good luck finding a new venue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Tonight as I type is start of the 1st karaoke show with my replacement host. The owner called me at 7:20 and told me that they purchased a new LCD TV so I won't have to bring mine when I come back. He wondered if I had firmed up my trip schedule yet, and also told me that they have started the demolition phase of the remodel.

The really odd thing was I did not hear any music in the background and it was 20 minutes after start time. I have no idea what is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 172 times
It could be that mime karaoke..........it first got started in Libraries, but I heard it was spreading to desperate bar & grills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
mrmarog wrote:
Thank you Johnny, You summed it up very nicely. The month of May is a very good time to take a vacation/time off in Florida for 2 real good reasons: 1) the tourists are gone, 2) the weather is still reasonably nice (not too hot yet). To clarify other ideas: 1) they assure me that money for remodelling is not an issue, 2) permits will not be needed or be a problem, 3) their contractor works til wee hours in the morn, 4) their will never be an evening when karaoke won't be available based on the contractors abilities. These issues have been brought up and no firm dates were ever established as to when any of these improvements were to take place.

My wife and I plan on taking the "vacation of a lifetime" any where from 2 weeks to a month cruising the Mediterranian. Cruises can be obtained "last minute" at some of the best prices, and this gig is the only committment that we have pending at this time. The new owner is jacking us around by: 1) Not giving us a firm date for remodel, 2) not accepting who I want to have replace me, 3) minimizing the number of shows that my replacement would have to do.

I have a proven track record with 275 flawless (and bonifiable) shows at this location, and I HAVE performed. So far everything they have said has been idle chatter.

While you are on the cruise, ask about doing Karaoke for the cruise line..

Many here in L.A. load a bag of CD+Gs and use the in ship sound/video system..

Makes for a nice change.. + free room and board while you cruise..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
I'm sure you'll get an update on the show (or lack of) from one of your regular singers. Be ready to accept or decline playing there if offered when you return and have a list of items (changes, pay, hours, etc) most important to you ready. Wife and I were fortunate enough to take a month for our 10 year back a few and even got to sing some karaoke. Wherever your vacation takes you, enjoy! Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife and Pi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Along these lines....

I stopped in at my original venue on a whim the other day. The regulars have started a petition to bring karaoke back. They asked me to sign it. My wife and I did. They are now up to 48 signatures. I let them know I would be happy to come back under one condition - it had to be 3 or more nights. I don't think it will happen.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:
Along these lines....

I stopped in at my original venue on a whim the other day. The regulars have started a petition to bring karaoke back. They asked me to sign it. My wife and I did. They are now up to 48 signatures. I let them know I would be happy to come back under one condition - it had to be 3 or more nights. I don't think it will happen.

-Chris

It doesn't matter if there's 148 signatures – if the venue is not making enough money – they can't afford to bring you back. Besides, would you really want to go back into that Venue under those conditions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

My wife's best friend is the bar manager. We know exactly what they make. They have been down 60% every Saturday since we left. Apparently they also went from 2 bartenders to 1 and that bartender is considering leaving for a higher volume location.

I would not be personally running that show. They guy I had running it before we shut it down was doing a great job and was a great fit for that location. Much better fit than me. He has expressed interest in running it again but also only if it is multi-night.

I forgot to mention that the only other venue with karaoke that was close by also shut down their show so people have been coming over to my old place asking about karaoke.

I really don't think it will happen even though the owner knows we will bring them paying customers because he doesn't like karaoke and is just plain stubborn.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:

I really don't think it will happen even though the owner knows we will bring them paying customers because he doesn't like karaoke and is just plain stubborn.

Even if he brought you back because the customers wanted you there, would you want to work at the same place where the person paying you resents you being there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

If my hired KJ doesn't mind being resented, then I don't mind being paid for it. I would much rather it be a congenial partnership, but lacking that we would be there for the customers and for the money. Great customers can easily make up for an uncaring owner.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

@Chris: In SOME cases that might be true, but this is almost disgust/hatred on the owners part. Now we heard that they want to bring in a younger crowd and discontinue karaoke all together. This is in the mddle of a 6,500 over 55 resident community. Talk about trying to buck the system. We get paid way above average wages and for only 3 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

@mrmarog - ugh. in your case I would not go back. in mine it is more a case of indifference than anything else. The owner hasn't run an ad for his own place in 10 years or more according to the regulars. he seems content for business to be whatever happens to stumble in that day and nothing more.

Side Note - this is the same bar that a year ago I considered buying and remodeling. He put the word out that it was up for sale and I immediately approached him about it (one of the few times we actually met face to face) and he never gave me a straight numbers on what he wanted for a sell price or what the annual receipts were.

The general consensus is that anything that involves andy kind of physical or mental work, he doesn't want any part of. He probably won't ever sell.

-Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Update: It is almost 6 weeks now since I said "goodbye to new owners". The remodeling is nowhere near complete (and they told me 8 days to do everything), the crowds are getting smaller and smaller, and now are starting to get an element in that will drive the good paying boomer crowd away. The owner has asked several people if there is a chance that we will come back, and they have told them probably not.

What non karaoke lovers don't understand is that most of the karaoke lovers/junkies are extremely passionate about karaoke and it is more than just a job. For me it is an extreme sport mentality and the new owner does not get it. I have gone back and spoken to the new owner and he apologized for being a jerk, but that won't fix the problem that he really is a jerk!

I have not looked for any new gigs because my 97 year old mother, that has been in such great health, has been hospitalized for congestive heart failure in Iowa. I am leaving my schedule open at this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
I'm sorry to hear about your mother, best wishes to her and you.

How was the cruise?
Any karaoke?
Did you rock the house?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
I'm very sorry about your mom, too. She's in my prayers!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thank you, Eartling & Sevarin. The doctors have been able to insert a balloon in her aortic artery and expand the valve to make it open a bit more, so she is feeling better. Early this winter she was raking leaves and shoveling snow (what little there was). She is a very feisty lady and I had hopes of her going way beyond 100, but this was unexpected. There is a good possibility of going to Iowa soon to help around the house until she improves.

I was hoping to stop in and see Rip, Exweed, and Twansene when my mother is feeling better. Any body else in Iowa?

Thanks again for the love and support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next