KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Had a great show Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Had a great show
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Had a good day today. Ran a karaoke show at a local mental health social center and the people who participated had a great time. While I didn't utilize a couple of features that my software has, namely the remote requests and the scroller, Karma functioned flawlessly. One thing I didn't like was when someone who sang earlier didn't have a song in but managed to get one in before their turn came up would change the lineup. Good thing I didn't have the scroller running or the next singer display running.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Had a great show
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:20 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
In Karma settings you can set next singer display to show all singers (even if they don't have a song submitted yet) OR you can set to show ONLY singers with a song submitted.
Same with the scroller, you have complete control over what it shows (or how many singers, 1-10) or 0 if you un-tik that box.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I only display the next 4 singers in case I have to maneuver singers. Say that I know that a singer has to go smoke or go to the restroom. Is there a way to inactivate them and not lose their song?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
You can move singers (Left click, hold and drag) in the rotation column forward and back without losing their songs but if you do any moving within your next singer display it will show on that display, probably would try to avoid that, I would keep next singer display to as few names as possible or not even use.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Had another great show yesterday. The customer was referred to me by the previous customer who contacted me on Bark.com. While the karaoke part was sparse, the DJ part was well received. I connected my laptop to my mixer via Bluetooth and it worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:41 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I connected my laptop to my mixer via Bluetooth
Why?

Bluetooth audio is a very useful technology and I use it all the time. But in a DJ/KJ situation it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Help me understand what I'm missing. Is there something unique about your DJ/KJ situation where the benefits of a wireless connection could justify the following actual or at least potential problems with Bluetooth audio?
  • Latency
  • Sound quality degredation
  • Audio dropouts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
GentlemanBronco wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Why?

Bluetooth audio is a very useful technology and I use it all the time. But in a DJ/KJ situation it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Help me understand what I'm missing. Is there something unique about your DJ/KJ situation where the benefits of a wireless connection could justify the following actual or at least potential problems with Bluetooth audio?
  • Latency
  • Audio dropouts

You have to understand that Danny may not do things the way the rest of us would do them... BUT, we love him. Danny has his own unique style of doing things that obviously work for him. And he's always able to pull it off successfully. So, while you may question what he does, he is an amazing person. And I for one have the highest respect for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

GentlemanBronco wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Why?

• Latency
  • Audio dropouts

Did not experience any problems with it. I agree wholeheartedly with the latency when it comes to doing Bluetooth between the speakers and the mixer because I tried it once. I believe that between the music source and the mixer will work out fine. At least that's what my experience was last Saturday. It freed up a USB port so I don't have to use a hub for my mouse and a USB sound card. My other two USB ports are being used for a USB TV monitor. My external hard drive is USBC. Actually sounded cleaner than the USB port in my old mixer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:19 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Did not experience any problems with it.
I'm sure it works the majority of the time. My question wasn't so much whether you had problems as it was why you choose a connection that is known to have several deficiences, including less reliablity and lower quality, compared to a analog audio cable.
DannyG2006 wrote:
It freed up a USB port so I don't have to use a hub for my mouse and a USB sound card. My other two USB ports are being used for a USB TV monitor. My external hard drive is USBC.
Now I'm even more confused? Wouldn't a bluetooth mouse make more sense? That's one of the most common uses for bluetooth and would have the same effect of freeing up a USB port. Also, if you're using a bluetooth connection to the mixer what are you using the USB sound card for? I guess I'm not understanding the audio path from your computer to the speakers. I assumed it was like this:

PC >—bluetooth—> MIXER >—cable—> AMP >—cable—> SPEAKER
DannyG2006 wrote:
Actually sounded cleaner than the USB port in my old mixer.
I assume this would be using the mixer as a USB sound card. If I've understood correctly I'm very curious to know what mixer that was that sounded worse than the bluetooth audio connection to your current mixer.

Thanks in advance for explaining your setup. As described, it's somewhat counterintuitive and I appreciate your clarifications.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

No longer need the USB sound card except for one show where I hook up my laptop to the house system. Would rather use my system but I am working with limited space to setup.I've used a mg10xu and a Rockville mixer which both have USB sound card capabilities. The Rockville also has Bluetooth which I used at my last gig. I have always embraced new technology and this is no different. I'm not the only one in my area using Bluetooth between the laptop and mixer. As I have said, I would not use Bluetooth for between the mixer and the speakers.

PC - Bluetooth - powered mixer - cables - speakers. Is my present setup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I have always embraced new technology and this is no different.
It amuses me to see a 25 year old technology being referred to as "new". :wink:

When it comes to embracing new technology goes, I'm just a home user but I have a Behringer X-Air XR12 digital mixer for my karaoke setup, so I understand the impulse.

As far as suitability to the task, it's obvious that Bluetooth streaming can work, and your experience confirms that. The question is more about whether the potential limitations make it a wise choice. Hopefully it remains as reliable for you has it has been up until now.

I will add that I'm struck by the absence of Bluetooth on just about every professional and prosumer mixer out there. As far as I know it's primarily on some consumer-grade equipment. Given the ubiquity and cheapness of the Bluetooth chips, this seems like a very conscious decision based more on demand and suitability rather than a cost savings measure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:40 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Speaking of blue teeth, my grandson has a room mate that
works for Apple as a blue tooth developer.
She was hired at $150k 2 years ago, and I hear she gets raises.
Must be nice..
My teeth are more yellowish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:03 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
The customer was referred to me by the previous customer who contacted me on Bark.com. While the karaoke part was sparse, the DJ part was well received.