KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Best laptop kj program Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best laptop kj program
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
A KJ ask me what kind of program I am using, I told him Sax&Dotty/Winamp player on WinXP both laptop & program 6 years old. He said both are considered “ancient”.

He said there are better and faster programs out there that are way better for ripping/playing i.e., Siglos, PCDJ, Virtual DJ than S&D. Really?

I ask him what kind of program he’s using but he won’t give me that info. When I told him my external drive is 300gb, he said I should be using 1TB so that I will have more room in the years to come. What?? 300gb is not enough?

Is this guy pulling my leg, or maybe resentful because I am playing in a nice decent club/family restaurant not a dive bar and have 12 binders of over 2,300 original cdg’s behind me stacked in a lockable cabinet. I still buy cdg's every month mostly CB'ters, plus yearly subscription to PopHits Monthly.

The manager told me he was the guy that wants to move-in my spot because he’s more current, up to date with over 60k songs (I think I have about 20k) he will charge less $$ than what I am getting paid with less set-up space. Just his laptop and his 2 spkrs/1 sub system. I forewarned my manager he might be a pirate. He was turned down.

By the way, it’s a permanent club installation system 3x a week so I don’t have to lug around my cd’s plus my 4 QSC spkrs l sub equipment. Been in the same place 4 yrs.

Am I really KJ’ing in a kind of obsolete technology so to speak? With all these KJ cutthroats armed with the latest software/hardware money can buy should I consider buying/updating my program (which one) and get a new laptop Win7?

Or should I just go with the old adage if it’s not broken don’t fix it! I recently updated my soundcard to a Lexicon Alpha as per Lonman's recommendation. Great sound, by the way. Thanks Lonnie!

What program are you guys using?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:08 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Brian A @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:04 am wrote:

Or should I just go with the old adage if it’s not broken don’t fix it!

Yes

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
jerry12x @ 9/13/2010, 6:08 am wrote:
Brian A @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:04 am wrote:

Or should I just go with the old adage if it’s not broken don’t fix it!

Yes

another yes, I'm not crazy about winamp based programs myself but if it works for you thats all that matters.

Mojo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
He doesn't know the name of the program since it came with no documentation and was installed on the hardrive already loaded with the 60K songs he bought off the internet or someone cloned for him for $500 (less sound system)

Brian,

Have a sitdown with your venue and let them know what you think is going on, and yes we all know where this is going. The sad part is the guy my not even know that he is potentially doing something illegal with all the missinformation going around.
Educate, educate, educate the venues!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, S&D is still a great program although I run all my shows off of my discs very efficently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
It is a real source of irritation for me when a KJ will try and fast talk an owner by getting into detail about what kind of program they use - doesn't matter, does it, if the songs come up when they're supposed to, no matter the method, the mix is good, the singer is happy, and the take at the end of the night reflects that.

The only reason I would ever suggest to upgrade (I run Hoster) is if the time between singers is too long (CAVS players I notice do take a long time to load). A dual CDG player is fast, Hoster is amazingly fast, I'm sure Compuhost is fast ... but if what you're using isn't limiting the number of singers you bring up, screw the dude and the illegal harddrive he rode in on. Sounds like your venue is happy with you - keep upgrading music if that's an issue. I don't buy music anymore unless someone specifically asks for something - no sense in adding to the 80% that hasn't been sung already.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I really like my Compuhost program, because it makes it easy to interject videos and sound clips, etc. but I don't have any problem with Sax & Dotty. The biggest thing is that your show runs smoothly and you're comfortable enough with it to relax and let your personality come through.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Don't equate "upgrade" or "update" with improvement. There have been huge technological advances computer science in the last ten years. None of which have to do directly with karaoke. Personally, I think S&D's sucks but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
If it works stay with it lol

Unless you havce specific needs that are not being addressed with your current software -WHY CHANGE ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
If it ain't broke why fix it? It's the program that you are used to. Why leave your comfort zone just cause some yokel says it's obsolete. Yes there are better programs but if you are use to how S&D works then good for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
AND DON'T FORGET TO SELL YOUR OLD MINI VAN AND BUY A BRAND NEW HUMMER TO MOVE YOUR STUFF AROUND. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
BruceFan4Life - Bruce, if you read my post there's no need for me to get a new Hummer to move my stuff around. My set-up is stationary, permanent installation. I go to my gig with with just the set of keys for the cabinet (sorry, I can't resist/lol).

Thanks for the great advice, guys. S&D performs flawlessly @ my show. However, still made me think - are there better programs than this? And since this was my first, there's nothing on hand to base a comparison.

Now that I have received numerous advices then I will definitely stick to what I have and keep it "because it ain't broken". My appreciation - thanks again!

I will try Compuhost for the second rig I am building. It will be limited number of songs considering the 1:1 ratio I should be able to have maybe 5k songs for private parties.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:37 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

It was an analogy...as in replacing another piece of equipment for NO REASON AT ALL.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:43 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Brian A @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm wrote:
I will try Compuhost for the second rig I am building. It will be limited number of songs considering the 1:1 ratio I should be able to have maybe 5k songs for private parties.

If you are going to invest in Compuhost I would highly reccomend using it for your steady karaoke gig and using Sax N Dotty for your private party gigs.
Just my :2cents:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
The OP may not be able to switch computers as the steady gig is run on a system that is setup to permanent so He might be using a desktop or rackmounted computer. That's what I would be using for a permanent installation. The only thing I would bring in and out would be the hard drive that contains the music so that no one else can get ahold of it. For a mobile unit I use a laptop.

I should add that S&D is locked to the computer that it's setup on and you have to purchase a second copy to run it on another computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Sax & Dotty has been cracked for quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
I use 5 year old laptops with Windows XP Professional.. and I run Virtual DJ

While the software I use is more current, the hardware is ancient by todays technology standards, but I use what i've found to be easy to use, and stable.

I personally find Winamp with a karaoke plugin to be chuggy, clunky, and less than stable. Several other hosts in my area use it and their systems seem to crash at least once a night.

But that could also be because of other reasons.. viruses.. etc.. who knows.

There's a older woman who drags 900lbs of CDG's into the gig and refuses to go digital.

I say use whatever works best for you, you're comfortable, and lets you get the job done.. and *F* what anybody else says.

Especially dudes trying to take over your gig.

Just make sure you remind your venue that when it comes to karaoke collections.. it's not how MANY songs you have.. but what SONGS you have.

Sure the other guy may have a book twice your books size.. but how many of those tracks are either duplicates from different manus, or bullshit 'traditional' songs that nobody ever sings anyway.

As long as you're keeping your collection current with CB and Pop Hits.. you should be golden.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I use and consider CompuHost the "Rolls Royce" of the hosting software. Not only are you investing in the most comprehensive program there is (IMO), but you are also getting the best support imaginable. I have emailed their tech support so many times and each time they answered my questions or solved my issues very promptly, usually within a couple of hours, even on Sunday.

It may cost a little more then the others but you know, you get what you pay for. Both CompuHost and FastTracks Song Book Creator work hand in hand and FastTracks, is awesome as well. Compare it to the others such as Latshaws Songbook Creator, which is a joke. Anyway, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm wrote:
The OP may not be able to switch computers as the steady gig is run on a system that is setup to permanent so He might be using a desktop or rackmounted computer. That's what I would be using for a permanent installation. The only thing I would bring in and out would be the hard drive that contains the music so that no one else can get ahold of it. For a mobile unit I use a laptop.

I should add that S&D is locked to the computer that it's setup on and you have to purchase a second copy to run it on another computer.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

RLC @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:43 pm wrote:
Brian A @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm wrote:

If you are going to invest in Compuhost I would highly reccomend using it for your steady karaoke gig and using Sax N Dotty for your private party gigs.
Just my :2cents:

Invicion now allows you to run CompuHost on two computers without the dongle. Visit their website for more info on this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
DannyG2006 @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 pm wrote:

True, but all it takes is an email to Paul (Sax) and you will be able to remove from one machine and install on another and thus not have to purchase a second license..