KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Do you like "My Way"? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Do you like the song My Way?
Yes, I do 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
No, I do not 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Do you like "My Way"?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Do you like the song My Way? Vote your feelings.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
At one time, but it got overplayed when karaoke didn't have a great selection. Luckily i've only heard it a handful of times in years. It's not the kind of song that our crowds (20's-40's avg) typically sing. The ones that do still sing it are 50ish on up.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
I recently came across a version of the song by a guy named Dany Brillant. It has a bit of a Spansih salsa feel to it and is enjoyable to sing just because it's a little bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ARmFQZDnYI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
I suppose too many singers singing it badly has ruined it for me.

But every once in a (very long) while someone sings it with real feeling and depth and then i'm reminded of the songs' greatness. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I really wish it didn't rhyme shy way with my way. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
I'm not quite sure where you might be going with this poll, so I am holding off on putting in a vote.

Wellllllll... I don't hate the song. As to liking it, I'm not sure anymore. It's been destroyed by way too many at Karaoke shows, to the point that I may dread hearing the song played, but I still don't hate it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you know
They'd sing that song and still make it blow
And for them all, without a doubt
I'd queue it up and they'd spew it out
Defaced it all and still stood tall and did it anyway

I never really cared for the song; karaoke made me loathe it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:19 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 29 times
I have a singer who's name is "Guy", and he does it very well how ever his version is "Guy Way" ....I did it the Guy Way...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:14 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
If someone requests a song, no matter what it is :roll: I always play it, it's not the DJ's personal juke box. Your paid to let people sing :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 38 times
I've never liked the song, always found it Bland with a capital Bland. Except on one occasion when one bloke got up and wailed the Sex Pistols version, that was funny.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:36 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Pjskaraokeuk wrote:
If someone requests a song, no matter what it is :roll: I always play it, it's not the DJ's personal juke box. Your paid to let people sing :D

I don't believe anyone in this thread brought up that they wouldn't play it? I will play anything I am allowed to play - whether I personally like it or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
frank Sinatra is great, but when everyone sings it "their way" it usually sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
I used to sing it at other shows, and now I sing it only by request- even I'm tired of it.

However, I sing it "my way". Kind of a mix of Sinatra, Elvis, and me. The song is usually sung like an exit to life, kind of sad, but also saying "no regrets". I sing it like a joyous fighter would, and I put my b@lls into it.

I usually get the requests from folks who want it dedicated to a father who has passed, though the song is not gender-specific.

" Disc based and loving it..."

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 21 times
"My Way" in Spanish is titled "A Mi Manera", and where I'm located, here on the border of Arizona with Mexico, it has been tried by about as many singers as you guys are reporting in your shows. I wanted to be the "Gringo" that could sing a few songs in Spanish, to satisfy some of my clientele which would probably be 70/30 % with Hispanics as the majority, when I first started doing Karaoke, many moons ago... I learned it phonetically first, then had my girlfriend translate it back to me in English, to make sure I wasn't missing anything by not knowing what all the words said... The song holds a different meaning to a lot of my regulars, who probably got tired of hearing me sing it every week... but I think the Mexican people are a little more tolerable of older music, and even the 20 somethings are singing songs that are 50 years old (Or More)... Their heritage is much more in tact, in that respect, compared to the Americano 20 somethings... I like to sing it "Their way", for that very reason... I have come to respect, and be influenced by the Mexican Musical Heritage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
A Mariachi My Way would sound cool.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
I used to sing it at other shows, and now I sing it only by request- even I'm tired of it.

However, I sing it "my way". Kind of a mix of Sinatra, Elvis, and me. The song is usually sung like an exit to life, kind of sad, but also saying "no regrets". I sing it like a joyous fighter would, and I put my b@lls into it.

I usually get the requests from folks who want it dedicated to a father who has passes, though the song is not gender-specific.

I would like to see your version at some point, if you feel like sharing it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BruceFan4Life wrote:
A Mariachi My Way would sound cool.

This is available on the Fiesta Latina label under A Mi Manera.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:20 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
I've never been impressed with Sinatra. He worked with some great songwriters, arrangers, and musicians, and had a pleasant voice, but his range was remarkably small, he really couldn't emote well at all, and didn't have any dynamic control whatsoever.

For me, the lyrical content of "My Way" is rather off-putting. While I understand the desire and satisfaction that comes from doing things My Way, it is a VERY selfish and inconsiderate way of looking at the world.

"For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels"

I have a truly remarkable wife, loving children, and an incredibly warm family. I have their love and support, their unconditional acceptance, and a small circle of friends who have proven their tremendous worth more than once. I would certainly not consider these things to be "naught", and these relationships are based on reciprocated trust, respect, compromise and kindess. These people would not be a part of my life if I insisted on doing things "My Way". More importantly, the final line that I quoted completely ignores the chasm of difference between humility and timidness; service and servitude; meekness ands weakness.

Take our armed services, for instance. None of these servicemen stand alone. You would be hardpressed to find one that could be called timid or weak, or who would not "say the things he truly feels", yet their obidience and discipline is not only an asset to what they do, it is a necessity.

One can kneel in service to God, country, and their fellow man, and still do so with courage, humility, strength, and honor. But not if they're hung up on doing it "My Way".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Jasaoke, like all art forms, music is open to interpretation by the listener.

What you perceive as closed-minded and stubborn, I hear as someone simply saying that they are honest about themselves, and don't pretend or act phony just to please others.

I don't hear someone saying that they don't compromise with loved ones, but rather that they set an example and don't bend to every little whim of others- a Casper Milquetoast.

I hear someone saying- like our troops- that they stand up for family and loved ones, and never let them down- threats notwithstanding.

I hear someone saying that they could not be knocked down and kept down, but rather that they fought for what they believed in.

I hear someone saying that people ( if they have not themselves, they have naught) should be true to themselves- for if not, how can they be true to others?

In other words, "To thine own self be true.".

"My way" is also open to interpretation. After all that you posted, the fact is that YOU live your life "your way", don't you?

Living life "my way" - as I interpret it- is simply living life as one chooses to live it. Keep in mind that- along with pride in accomplishment, the song also states that there was a fair share of regrets, losing, and tears. Simply put, a full life- including some compromise..

Just a matter of interpretation.

I'm fairly certain that those who request the song dedicated to their beloved parent don't think of said parent as an overbearing, stiff-spined, closed-minded, monarch wannabe...

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
And now for our next song interpretation.... who wants to start up with each of the stanzas to "American Pie?" :ppfftt: :ppfftt: :ppfftt: :ppfftt: :ppfftt: