KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Roll your own.. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Roll your own..
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
PM sent to TheCheese.

Kevin

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Kevin That 70s Guy @ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm wrote:
PM sent to TheCheese.

Kevin

Got your message, man.. but I can't reply.

When I try to reply I get a "Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages" message.

I'm not looking for anything all that important, or anything i'd be interested in spending any serious coin on.. which is why I wondered about the vocals removed and doing your own CDG thing.. since most of the requests I get are for tunes that probably nobody else would ever sing.

The most recent was for a Reba McIntire song, "Turn on the radio"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:16 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
I ran that REBA song through Audacity and it did a pretty good job at removing the vocals. You might want to try going that route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

BruceFan4Life @ Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 pm wrote:
I ran that REBA song through Audacity and it did a pretty good job at removing the vocals. You might want to try going that route.

Yeah.. I ran it through Audacity too.. it did a pretty good job pulling the vocals out, but it really thinned out the track sound wise.

I'll have to play with it some more.. maybe try and re-EQ it so the vocal removed version doesn't sound so tinny and thin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:28 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
That is odd that you couldn't return my PM. I put my email on there, maybe that is why?

I voted for your song on KaraokeVersion.com. Maybe you can find other friends to vote on it to and if they had enough votes for that song they would make it.

If you wanted a custom made backing track from the studio I use, it's would be $65 or $80, depending on how complex of a song it is. They have always done a great job for me. I hate vocally masked versions of songs and refuse to play them at my show. If it's a song that I want I pay the money to get it. That was pretty much the message.

Thanks!

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:59 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
theCheese @ August 16th 2010, 1:12 am wrote:

Yeah.. I ran it through Audacity too.. it did a pretty good job pulling the vocals out, but it really thinned out the track sound wise.

I'll have to play with it some more.. maybe try and re-EQ it so the vocal removed version doesn't sound so tinny and thin.

I usually use the bass boost feature after I remove the vocals. That usually makes it sound a bit fuller.

Maybe I'll sing it tomorrow and post it up in the Singers Showcase. ;c) CDG file came out great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
BruceFan4Life @ 16th August 2010, 2:59 pm wrote:
theCheese @ August 16th 2010, 1:12 am wrote:

I usually use the bass boost feature after I remove the vocals. That usually makes it sound a bit fuller.

Maybe I'll sing it tomorrow and post it up in the Singers Showcase. ;c) CDG file came out great.

The kick and bass are normally panned center or near center just like the vox. Removing the vox by reversing polarity will also remove a big chunk of the bass and kick.
To retain the low, run the track through a filter that will remove all the frequency above 180hz. Keep that bass track, and then mix it with the track where the vox is removed. You get back the bass and kick. Audacity can do this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
It was a joke. Seriously, do you think I would mean that seriously in an open forum? I would have sent you a private message.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks for the tip, Jian!

I'd fiddled with the bass boost like Bruce suggested.. but that just made it sound muddy. Copying the original frequency from the mixed track and then sliding them down on top of the removed track will put the meat back where it should, without fattening up the stuff that shouldn't.

I look forward to trying it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:55 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Trying to devocalize a music track doesn't matter if you ripped it at 230K or 128K or even 56K - an mp3 is a co pressed format file, and for that reason will NEVER be very successful at removing vocals. You MUST start with a .wav file to get any significant reduction in vocals. The primary determining factor in success is how the track was originally mixed in the studio. If lead vocals were put equally on left and right tracks, while backing vocals (if any) and music are not equal, you have a high chance of success. That standard didn't evolve until the early 70's. However, there are older things that may work fine. I was able to de-vocalize the original Simon & Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound" without losing ANY instrumentation but leaving almost no trace of original vocals at all.
I usually use Goldwave to do my de-vocalizing instead of Audacity; I find Audacity's user interface much more complicated and unnecessarily cryptic. They both do the same thing, which is to reverse the left channel and mix it with the right channel, cancelling out anything which is the same in both.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Or just move to Colorado where it is now LEGAL to smoke pot recreationally and have an once on your person and as of Jan 1, 2014 to walk right in and buy it a a state sanctioned and certified Pot Retail Store offering a variety of products for smoking, pot-infused products and baked goods. Hmmm, maybe they could create package and sell Karaoke discs with pot included!! The possibilties are LIMITLESS!! And all the new tax revenues go to funding school construction!! :wink:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
SwingcatKurt wrote:
Or just move to Colorado where it is now LEGAL to smoke pot recreationally and have an once on your person and as of Jan 1, 2014 to walk right in and buy it a a state sanctioned and certified Pot Retail Store offering a variety of products for smoking, pot-infused products and baked goods. Hmmm, maybe they could create package and sell Karaoke discs with pot included!! The possibilties are LIMITLESS!! And all the new tax revenues go to funding school construction!! :wink:

One can only hope that the building contractors and labor are from out of state.... :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
SwingcatKurt wrote:

One can only hope that the building contractors and labor are from out of state.... :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Because out-of-state laborers don't drink or do drugs? :)

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
admaero wrote:
Quote:
What kind of dope are you selling Denise?

I don't sell dope, and I seriously doubt that it would be appropriate to seriously suggest doing that business in this forum, so all I will say is that the drug of choice for karaoke seems to be marijuana. Ask me if I smoke it, though, and I'll take Nancy Reagan's advice and "just say no".

-denise

I smoke weed..........socially. I am all for it becoming legal. Even when I didn't smoke, which was YEARS, I still thought it should be legal. I would rather see cigarettes made illegal, and let the weed go!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Yep... legal, in my life-time and in the state I live in.

Open invitation and I know of a couple of good karaoke shows in the mountains...

btw - I am amused by how the OP's topic "Roll Your Own.." side-tracked.