KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Help, I have gave myself a migraine. I was trying to enhance my sound but went the complete oppiste. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Please help me.

I am running Compuhost, and was going to try and use the equalizer with the program so i set it then set my normal peavey eq to 0. The Compu host eq was not sounding that good so i was making adjustments and cleared the settings all to zero dang. Now I can not get the sound back that I had from Friday night. Anyone with and suggestions on how to improve the sound. It really sounds like crap now. looking for all suggestions[/b]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
DJ LONEWOLF @ Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm wrote:
Please help me.

I am running Compuhost, and was going to try and use the equalizer with the program so i set it then set my normal peavey eq to 0. The Compu host eq was not sounding that good so i was making adjustments and cleared the settings all to zero dang. Now I can not get the sound back that I had from Friday night. Anyone with and suggestions on how to improve the sound. It really sounds like crap now. looking for all suggestions[/b]

Without being able to hear it, pretty hard to tell you what needs to be changed. If you can't describe specifically what's wrong with it now, good luck trying to figure it out. EQ has to be done with your ear. You have to be able to listen, hear what's either too weak or too dominant and adjust that frequency as necessary. There isn't just some magical answer we can give you to say, set it this way and it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Here the dance floor area is 20ft by 35 then it opens up to 30 by 50 ish. I am just wanting a basic eq adjustemnt to start with. The floors are wood then goes to carpet. left side of bar is all glass, right side normal walls. I just need a basic start layout. i had this set pretty good but cannot find the setting i wrote for this bar and any help would be appreciated. I will only be able to set sound that friday night but just trying to get a good start, yuck should have wrote them down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
DJ LONEWOLF @ Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm wrote:
I am just wanting a basic eq adjustemnt to start with.

There is no such thing, especially not when talking about a house EQ. Without hearing the room or at least having you describe what you're hearing that's wrong, I can't tell you what to adjust. Back in the day engineers used to preach the smiley face EQ, but even that has gone by the wayside with much improved PA equipment.

The best I can tell you is this. Set your EQ's flat. You've not told us what kind of EQ so I'll assume its either a 15 or 31 band graphic EQ. Play some music and go out to the listening area at least 12 feet from the PA and dead middle between the two speakers. Listen and pay attention to what you are hearing and what you're not. Is there too much Bass Guitar? Start at 250Hz and bring it way UP. Pay attention to how the sound changes and if that's the frequency that you were hearing too much of, now you can bring it back and cut it. If that's not the right frequency, bring it back to zero and work your way out to either side until you find the right one and get it cut. If what you're hearing is the ice-pick in the eye harsh mid-range from vocals, start with either 2.6 or 4kHz and do the same.

If you need help figuring out where to start try listening for specific instruments. If you can't hear what you know is there, try to bring them out. This site has a good reference that might be helpful for you: http://www.dak.com/reviews/tutorial_frequencies.cfm

Honestly, if you can't listen to your PA and analyze what your hearing to pick out what's wrong, then you're stuck. EQ'ing requires that much, there's just no other way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
DJ LONEWOLF @ Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:58 pm wrote:
I just need a basic start layout. .

Flat - ie basic setting - straight across in the middle! Then adjust from there. Like said, each room is different & needs to be adjusted individually. At the very least, adjust it to where you had it before.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile