KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - As a KJ Do You feel You get Paid Enough? - And other issues about Karaoke... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

As a KJ Do You feel You get Paid Enough? - And other issues about Karaoke...
1.Yes 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
1.Yes 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
2.No 29%  29%  [ 24 ]
2.No 29%  29%  [ 24 ]
3. Don't Care 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
3. Don't Care 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:29 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
$50 per hour for 4 hours is as much as I make in my day job.  Why would someone want to do that?  My personal opinion is that it makes them less professional when they work for next to nothing.  That is telling people they aren't worth what everyone else is charging.  How desperate can you get?  Sure you may get a couple shows, but how ya gonna keep them?  How ya gonna build your reputation back up?  I say "STICK TO YOUR STANDARDS" The little guys that work for that kind of money won't last.  Just my humble opinion.My Webpage :(  ???

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Overall i am making more money but i am also spending more to keep an up to date book and show. parties are my bread and butter, but i have always had regular bar gigs but never really good ones. i always feel snakebit in that respect.

I spend over 30.00 per gig in costs :gas, tolls, slips etc. i cant fathom how 50.00 per show could possibly work out in the long run. i like to get 50.00 per hour (4 hour minimum). these guys are basically kjing for 5 dollars an hour, might as well work in mcdonalds.

Attachments:
10008870.jpg
10008870.jpg [ 0 Bytes | Viewed 41784 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:51 pm 
Mike is just upset because $50.00 per night is $10.00 more than he makes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:31 pm 
No I can come out with a lot better but this is a "PG" or "Y13" rated site (fricken censors).

If some people think they're worth $50.00 a night, let them knock themselves out.

Through my experience the average duration of a "wannabe Kj" is about three months. They find out quickly that all the glory sometimes is not what it seems. To be bashed by customers, owners, listening patrons isn't worth it. I've been punched, slapped and of course "almost" seduced into fornication contrary to my strong religious beliefs and lack of a room key. If all of the above has happen to you and you still love your job, you'll probably be around for the duration.

Myself in the beginning did that (working for other people) and will do it again if the need calls. Though I'd rather do it for free because it's easier on my ego and I can leave when I want.

In my mind fun happy venues bring in the people - we just make the people feel special. If you can't do that you might as well have a coin slot on your back.

Well Michael Valentino, I guess "YOU" are going to have to create a new industry to have a "Standard" - Don't forget to make a venue/singer standard too.
Hey maybe you won't, cloning is just around the corner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:58 am 
I think Im the only kj that can spend a thousand dollars on a hundred dollar show.

Michael Valentino and Sammy mixing DNA......   Yikes, thats the scaryest subject yet,

Edited By Aaron D on May 16 2002 at 1:02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
AKA...Cueball...

When you say that they offered their services for $50 for the 4 hour show, I'm assuming that means they're coming in with their own equipment, setting up, dismantling, etc... Sorry, I just can't see someone working for that kind of money. Shoot!!! A 4 hour show for me is about 7 hours of my time (Loading/Unloading, Transporting, Setting Up/Dismantling, etc...).

They won't last too long. They'll realize how much work is involved, and probably quit withing 2 to 3 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:04 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
Amen Cue, but some people use to think a karaoke machine hooked to home stereo speakers and two mic outputs on the player were pro karaoke.

My musings...

Most now use pro sound systems, not to mention good libaries of music. All the best equipment and libraries won't make your money. That is dependant on the KJ's ability to make "CONTACT" with people. Charisma, and charm, the ability to handle people and move them, make them want to stay and return for more.

I have seen many a show with the best bells and whistles, big libraries besides mine that can't get or keep work. This is why I do doubt we can have an industry standard. In some ways there are standards.

All businesses have undercutters, like mechanic shops, builders, etc. A KJ must make his/her services invaluable, and that means pulling in the people, loyal to YOUR services. Build a following that want YOU! This is why I tend to keep my gigs for long periods of time. I have KJ's who recently sent out email NOT to come to MY shows and another one near me, but to a show that has started across the street from my 3 nighter. All this did was anger people. You DON'T tell a customer where they should or should not go.

Some show hosts earn under $100 other earn over $300 a 4 hour night why, crowd and club size, draw and spending of the patrons location-location-location, host ability togenerate constitent good sales.  If you have over 100 people spending at least $20 a night conservatively a head on average, that is over $2000 for a night so over $200 a night is not too much to ask to be paid. If you have 12 singers in the bar all night and nothing else and they are all spending $20 a head then maybe you are doing well making $50 a night.  If you are NOT bringing in enogh to cover what you are paid by the club you will be out of work pronto!

Some hosts are good at their job some are in the wrong line of work. I used to think there could be a standard, but the more I see of many operations out there, the more I realize that a majority do not want to work that hard to meet a standard. We are a minority at present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:07 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PS: I am earning more, working more, mainly due to a good business reputation. I will be in the Yellow Pages this year in two phone book systems, work 4 to 5 nights a weekplus events. This IS my day job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 7:36 pm 
Ideally, there should be a Karaoke union.  Of course that's not going to happen.  Unfortunately the market is saturated where I am.  When I first started this 12 years ago I basically had to walk in with nothing.  They supplied all of the equipment and a KJ.  I made $100.00 for a 3 hour show.  I was the only Karaoke in town at that time.  After starting my own business, I was offered a local Karaoke show on network.  We actually filmed on location.  My own shows were pulling in about $250.00 per night.  Now, I'm lucky to get a buck fifty but that's good money here with so many lowballers.  I still do the best show I can---and it is a show as a whole that makes the bar money.  I can count on one hand how many regular singers will spend more than $20.00 a night.  Keeping a room of non-singers on a Karaoke night is the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:56 am 

Michael Valentino wrote:
Hey Sammy lets mix our DNA and see what happens....well said my friend, the standard for KJ's needs to be set and we have to believe we can do better, it is sad to think $50 a night still even exists but it does and we all turn our heads and look the other way instead of saying, "Enough!!" Until we do then I guess the laugh is on us, and I mean all of us because we allow it, condone it, make up excuses for it. I spoke to Mr Dan Chabot from Mr Entertainment in Canada last week he runs 400 shows a month with his company, and makes no less than $275-300 per show every show. If Canada can do it, so can we, but we have to at least try. Does anyone in their right mind not believe Karaoke deserves better?

Actually, I get paid $50 when I back up the regular KJ at the bar I work at.  That's if I cover 15 minutes, or a whole 4 hour shift.  What's nice is that I'm not an "employee" either... :)

John
(I've only have a few full shows under my belt...I'm willing to start small, and grow from there.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:41 pm 

As the owner of my own Karaoke Company, I establish what I charge for a show.

I am currently the highest paid Karaoke producer in the state of Oklahoma.

:crazy: Yes, I get undercut by the "wannabe's" :cry:

I have to agree with Debra. (StarKaraoke),  Many of the wannabe's don't have the pro equipment and libraries.  They tend to set up with thrown together junk.  They never last.

I have lost a few small gigs to these guys and even lost a big gig to one.  I habitually get these same gigs calling me back within 2-3 months. :)

I know what I can do for a bars bottom line.  I make them money and most of them know it.

As a KJ you have to have the personality to get the crowds attention, get them having fun, whether they sing or not, and get them to want to come back.   :0

If you can't do all of those things pretty regullarly, (Nobody does all of it all the time) :crazy: You can't last in this business.

I know that in the Oklahoma City area the average is $100 for 4 hours.  I charge twice + that and turn down gigs (for lack of equipment and hosts) almost every week.

Do we get paid enough?  If we do our job right.  If we don't we get paid too much.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:35 am 
KJs get paid to press the buttons, sing ok or be funny enough to carry a show. But they should pay regular singers who attend their gigs for support. No one is a one man show unless he/she is a real pro who gets paid to record or perform in front of big audiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:59 am 
Maybe you should "push buttons"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, Where do i begin hfsfv?

Printing up slips every week, Updating the selection, Printing new books, Stolen items, Equipment that blows up, Advertising (website,domain,listing fees etc), Regular music, Gas,Tolls,Vehicle maintenance,phone, tax preparation fees

And then, Book keeping, loading a van with heavy equipment, unloading the van at the gig,setting up and wiring, breaking down and packing up, loading van again at the end, unloading at home, Thinking out the show(music fillers etc) making a rotation, putting up with drunks,mic hogs,and morons,

Then making about a meager 200.00 dollars and maybe even have to pay a helper.

There are very few kjs getting rich off this business.

I think most of us have a real love for karaoke and being a ham, Otherwise there isnt much incentive.

Ive had a few kjs buy me an ocassional drink (but i bought one for them too) or they shared their finger food.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject

Edited By big jimmy c on June 14 2002 at 4:07

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hsFSV says:
KJs get paid to press the buttons, sing ok or be funny enough to carry a show. But they should pay regular singers who attend their gigs for support. No one is a one man show unless he/she is a real pro who gets paid to record or perform in front of big audiences.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be a bit repetative but,

I love this kind of mentality, since I do work very hard to spoil people so they never want to go anyplace else. It works. You are correct in many KJ's operate with just that mindset/ mentality. As a business I must work hard to attract and hold an audience bringing in a continuous stream of new faces along with the regulars. The KJ is NOT there to feature him/herself, the singers are the ones paying the bills and deserve fair treatment. It is a poor KJ who sings several times in a row, rotation, or any time they so desire. Many times defunk KJ's come in and tell me how they would sing anytime they pleased if they ran my shows-and they wonder why I have stayed highly paid and constantly busy never having to hunt for the cushy gigs that come looking for my services.

hsFSV, I hope you find a decent karaoke, they are harder to comeby than I once thought.

:spiny: STAR KARAOKE With KJ Host Debra Lewis :spiny:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:34 pm 

hsFSV...

I'm just starting out in the KJ business, and at first I thought all it would be "pushing buttons" and sitting back....

hehe....

You have to have the personality to carry the show.
The compasion to tell every singer they sounded great, no matter what.
The ability to think on your feet is something goes wrong or a disc goes missing.
Customer Service skills to help clueless people find the songs they want to sing and be diplomatic about.
Willing to shill for tips for every one in the bar, but your self.
The sainthood to take abuse from people who can't follow the rules.
(or my favorite...the REGULAR KJ KNOWS WHAT I SING, so I won't fill out a slip for you.  Then they complain that they are not singing...)

The list goes on and on, and I work for some one else...if I was working for my self (and I plan on that one day.)  I can just imagine what else I could run into.

John   :square:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:56 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
hsFSV, if that's how you feel your KJ is (just a button-pusher who sings good), it's time for you to get off your Bar-Stool and go to someone else's show. Obviously you're not being entertained enough, or you just don't care about Karaoke (in which case, you should just get up and leave).

As to feeling that you should be paid for the privaledge of singing (and entertaining the troops), maybe you should get a recording contract!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Call me snakebit again, I just finished a karaoke party in a very affluent suburb of ny city (scarsdale).

The houses go for about 750,000 to 1 mil or more. As usual the party was incredible and i got a 70 tip on top of my party price(not cheap).

I usually do so well at parties, But am snakebit with regular gigs.

Edited By big jimmy c on July 05 2002 at 23:57

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:41 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Big Jimmy C
That reminds me of the story of the Rabbi that only worked for tips.  :eh: He had a great following. Butt, I digress. Value added is the name of the game. After all, Karaoke is a service business, dealing with the public. If all that was needed was to push a few buttons, you could "phone it in". :spiny:

Quotes on request... Jerry Dixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:51 am 
Hf whoever, you may live to regret your words.  One day you may look back on these times as the good old days of karaoke when you could possibly get away with singing for the price of a soft drink. Whoopie!  

Kjs have a growing expense factor in their business plus the bonus of trying to please people like you.  Hopefully, the KJ won't decide to go the way of the dinosaur.     ???